Tuesday, November 27, 2012

slow and simple

I am here, reading online rather than writing. My hands and days are so busy and full right now, with four little people. Mostly it's a good sort of full, sometimes it's a stressed and tired sort of full. Many days my favourite time is when I settle into bed, finally, baby with eyes half shut, feeding off to dreamland, other children in bed, a pot of tea by my bed and a book in my hand. It's bliss. I had a lung infection (I don't like the word pneumonia) and was ill these last couple of weeks. Nights I couldn't lie down flat because I actually couldn't breathe. It's a luxury and blessing to be lying down to sleep again. A spoonful of honey in my tea, a little molasses cookie on the side. In the pre-mornings before he leaves, The Man lights up the fire ready for our day. This morning the baby and I crept down early, at dawn and sat quietly, our eyes both pulled to the flames. It was peaceful. The most peaceful part of my day. I am relishing the quiet simple things right now. The string of fairy lights in my bedrooom, one tidy room in a house of chaos, the peachy fuzz of Iona's head, cupped in my hand. The scent of warm coconut oil on her skin as I massage her (she is pure joy I tell you), watching Felix cut paper snowflake after snowflake, Esmé with her needle thread and buttons, Isaac with me chopping veggies.....
I need these sorts of things more than ever right now as my life creeps up a notch in the bigger handful department. My plate is fuller and more varied than ever. I need to see each thing in it's simpleness and singularity, rather than look all at once at everything and see a blur and mass of jumbled colour, heaps of things to do and say and hear and then re-do all over again. We are slowly gaining a new rhythm to our days at home, it has taken us until now for one to emerge. It's nothing we plan, but rather one we fall into.
I am focusing on crafts, food and walks, time in front of the fire with games and books. That is all. Outings further afield are few and require The Man to help. I have proper photos from my real camera just waiting for me to download, but these easy instantly-uploaded phone ones are my easy choice of the day.
The Green parent magazine have asked me to write a regular column about home life/home educating and other family relatedness, so watch out for my home-y words starting in the next issue!

5 comments:

Sandra Ann said...

Utter gorgeousness! I have missed your postings. Keep warm and well.

Love San x

Val said...

Ugg, to the chest infection, its certainly the time of year for it. Glad you are feeling better. The homeliness just radiates from your photo's, so lovely.
Valerie
xxx

melody said...

How is it that even when you are stressed reading you always makes me feel calm? Beautiful words. Beautiful babies. Beautiful crafts. I've missed reading you! So sorry to hear you were ill! And very glad you are doing better now. Inspiration for my day...simple and sweet.

love,
Melody

Sian said...

Simply gorgeous Claire : )
xxx
glad to hear you're feeling better!

emma said...

Wow - congrats on the Green Parent commission! Maybe I'll take out a subscription...