
This hat has it all. Recycled, re purposed, revamped - whatever. It is from an old Merino wool sweater of mine. A friend was talking about wanting to sew a pilot hat and I could not help but nod in agreement, yes, me too now you mention it. No sooner had the seed been planted it germinated and I ran upstairs baby under arm (hi Daddy I know you are enjoying your Saturday Morning Soak in the bath but here's Boo, just keep you eye on her please, I am DESPERATE to do something terribly important) and so already with the pattern in my mind I rummaged, found, snipped and sewed and then ran back to the bathroom to try it on the model and back to the machine. Ten minutes. Or less. It was THAT easy.


Here is a quick How To:
Pick an old sweater, charity shop find or one that will not be missed from someone's wardrobe. You need either the front or the back, so really one sweater would easily make two hats.

Snip your panel, front or back. The bottom edge will be the bit of the hat that frames the face.

Turn and fold.

The line where I have marked with string is the line you need cut along. I didn't measure anything, just looked and guessed.

Turn inside out and sew along that string-line. I used the neck band of the sweater for the ties. You can see I folded back the ribbed bit, I then slipped the ties in there and sewed so it has that nice turned back effect. I also sewed the raw edges of the hat - ends of ties and the bit which cups the neck. My machine is still acting crazy so the sewing is, er, rough in places, but you can't honestly tell, it still looks sweet. I think it would look good with binding around the raw edges.

Pretty or what? :)
13 comments:
gorgeous x
love it! how cute!
I just love it!!! I had already been to the op shop this morning before I saw this so will have to go again tomorrow to hunt down a suitable jumper. Thanks. x
Oh I love this hat so much and even came out of lurkdom to say so! :p Love your blog btw. xxx
I absolutely adore this hat! Thank you for sharing your wonderful tutorial with all of us at "Make & Tell Monday". Feel free to jump in again next week!
Gorgeous hat. Thank you so much for sharing this.
Just found your blog via slugsontherefrigerator.com and I love this hat. I will be trying it for my one-year-old just as soon as I find someone with an old jumper stashed away somewhere. Hmm...
Fabulous! I will definately have to make a couple of these. I just followed a link from a friends' blog and am so happy to have discovered your blog! Thanks for the great tutorial.
I just saw the version that was made on Heart Felt Crafty Things - this is so cute! I am definitely going looking for an old jumper - love that this lends itself to so many possibilities for decorating! I'm thinking embroidery...felt flowers...grosgrain ribbon edging...
Thanks for sharing this pattern! Too cute
I am new to your blog and so have just stumbled across this lovely pattern! How sweet. I just cut up a bunch of sweaters to make toddler legging out of the sleeves so have sleeve-less sweaters ready to be made into pixie hats:-)
Wonderful blog! Thanks
Starr
Just came across your blog. The cap is adorable. You make it seem so easy.
thanks for this! I just made some with some jerseys i shrunk ( i am not the world's best washer of wool...) thanks again - take a look if you kie, plus a few other variations.. http://domesticscene.wordpress.com/2010/06/21/hugs-and-bugs/
I made a few of these for my little girls and they are so easy and so cute! Thanks!
Post a Comment