Thursday, February 28, 2013

two high fives


She is now five months old. FIVE! I know. I am a walking cliché again to be so mama-amazed at that. And I don't care. I have only just turned around and blinked a couple of times since her birth and yet here she is all out of new born-ness and into the grabby chewy stage of gurgling screams. Five little, long, tine snapping,days often achingly long, bitter sweet, gone-in-a-flash months. Every day she seem to get cuter. Warning!! This is a 'mommy blog' or something... although, what are they anyway? I am guessing the ones where every post is about how their baby learned to clap that day or maybe smiled at the postman. Well yes. Those things are pretty exciting. When you are a baby or when you are a mother viewing the world through your babies eyes. I get it. Seeing everything all over again. For the very first time. It's AMAZING. When you look at our world it is sort of crazy. Some of the stuff we do and say is just weird. And little babies take it all in their stride. Everything is normal, fine and good and well. As long as they are in your arms. Why yes they may nod and blink totally nonplussed as a lion backflips into a pavlova. And why shouldn't that happen? That's why magic shows don't work for really little kids. Because the world is so crazy/magic/normal it's all one and the same.

 Anyway back to baby gah-gahing. Which is about all I am up for right now. She is my little flower fairy. Also, I am sorry sweet one but you have inherited your Daddy's ears. Nothing I could do to stop that from happening. 1/4 kids though. The rest have my little neat ones. Lets just hope her hair grows in long and thick (kidding, sorta, she is too delicious for me to care).


 This next one was sort of an out-take. One of those ones that stays on your disc and never sees the light of day. But honestly?! She has the funniest faces of anyone. She makes me laugh every day. Has this sublime way of making her face slack and amazed. Thus erasing what I said above about babies taking it all in their stride.



 And then she can be all, no way. I am so not impressed.



 Honestly she'd scare me if I knew she wasn't just the squidgiest softest, nicest smelling, kissable human baby on the planet. Also those knits I knit pre-birth. She has used them all up. Every last one. At five months she tops the scales and growth charts for a one year old. So my knitted items tell me. Outgrown. If only I had time to knit more! Alas no. So she has wrists peeping from her cardigans. We can live with it. She is still dressed in the clothes of luurve.


 Here she is with my mum and Esmé. I love seeing my mum with them both.



 Her sister gets the most smiles x10 than anyone else. She is memorised by Esmé who has all the time in the world, plus some extra, for her baby sister. The sun and moon and stars? They are Iona for Esmé. I am pretty much in love with just seeing them together.



 It's a nice change from the way Esmé screams at everyone else and gets her own way through violence and mayhem and pure will (power). Well her weakness and strengths lie in her love for Iona. Because she is like a bit of raspberry play-dough for her. With added glitter. All sweetness and fun.


 Esmé just turned Five. Five years. Another sort of where-is-my-life-sieving-away-too? My bright little star girl. She is beautiful. And the Queen. She is our sunshine and thunder clap all at once. Fiery and bright and oh so hot. Sweetness and the darkest night. And just when you despair at her contrariness there she is beaming with a gift of a sea shell. Just today she screeched, 'no! I do NOT want chicken!' While forking some happily into her mouth . And that is who she is. That one little thing captures her pretty well.




 The cake! She had high specifications as you might have guessed. Heart shaped. Pink. Umbrellas. Sweet shop. Marshmallows. Lemon. Eleven layers. I laughed her out of the eleven layers (as it was I made it in the middle of the night while dashing back and forth to check twitchy-cannot-sleep-alone babe). So one thick layer. But super yes to everything else.


Over the years I have gone from making some hard won healthy birthday cakes to going flat out to what ever whimsy their hearts desire. It's a birthday, not every day cake. C' mon. But it was at least gluten free. And cow dairy free. She can handle everything else she tells me. I just agree. Mostly to anything that keeps her in happy mode. It's the default setting of any mother with multiple children. I know it.



 She lost her first tooth on New Years Eve and since then two more. The fairies left a little door in our kitchen so as to visit us more often. They exchange notes and fairy dust and teeth and silver coins with this big wobbly toothed girl. A thread of rainbow yarn tied to her bed wound down to show her on New years Day this little door and it has been featured highly in conversation game and art since. One secret little word I shall whisper if you were wondering: Etsy.



Also the big thing so far this year for Esmé has been taking part in a real ballet show. She was a bumble bee in Snow White. I only have this one pic taken backstage as she anxiously waited in line for make up. Let me say the make up was the best part of the whole thing for her. She said reverently she felt almost like a Barbie. I try not to shudder just hope for better things while externally I laughed like a loon and told her yes, we all must dream big as she skipped with her bumble bee antennae bobbing around her head so happily.



Hardly a thing any parent dream their daughter will say but the thing is, I just want her to love what she loves. If it's Barbie and ballet and pink cakes with cocktail umbrellas, so what? High fives really. At least she knows what it is she loves. So many people don't.

 I will comeback soon and update again with lovely Boy Stuff. And also with some URBAN house moving stuff that's on our agenda (I know! It's necessary for the sanity and togetherness of our family).

Last pics: obligatory baby feet pic



my biggest and littlest having a chat


Isaac yielding the camera (too early for me to be dressed or looking decent but oh well).



 And Esmé cross because Isaac asked her to smile. Not many of me and my girls so I'll take it.

 Baby in daddy-arms being bounced to sleep on the exercise ball (best thing ever for babies)



 And another two from today, my sweet Iona (ohnee-moanie we like to call her, in affection - of course). Nothing to do with her random bursts of screaming/crying. Unfathomable and perplexing and leaves us all huddled in shivering quivering nerve wrecked heaps. She is still the most lovely baby, so Felix tells me. And he is always right.






16 comments:

Unknown said...

SUch beautiful pictures! I loved the ones of your girls together.And the one of Felix chatting with Iona. I tell you, it's enough to make me, who with two teens feels pretty sure I'm "done" (though I love the little ones), want another baby to give my big boys the chance to have that tenderness towards a small sibling. It melts me!

Sandra Ann said...

gorgeous pics! Iona is looking so much more like Esme and then when I look at the last shot, they are so much like you!! Gorgeous red heads together!

Well done for holding it all together and keeping on keeping sane!!

San xx

Amber Liddle said...

Oh my she is amazing!! She looks so much like big sister!! Ingrid is turning 5 in a couple months and has requested a purple unicorn cake. I can do purple, not sure of the unicorn part ;)

henrietta said...

ooh lovely, seeing your two girls together makes me excited for my impending arrival in July, I have been reading your new baby overwhelm and sympathisisng empathising and anticipating all at once...home edding , babies, teens, hmm a potent mix! Well done, getting through the days and weeks you deserve several gluten free treats!

Earthenwitch said...

Happy birthday to E! Can't believe she is five. Where does the time go?

And Iona is just delightful - she looks so like E, as others have said, and like you, and the boys too! Strong genes you have there. :) Happy times, anyway, and thanks for sharing.

sue said...

Such beautiful, wonderful photo's. I just love the way you tell things just as they are :)
I love visiting here, you always make me smilevxxx

emma said...

What kind of urban? (typical me, cut to the chase...)

Sian said...

Love the 'not impressed' photo! : )
just thought I'd put in a request for raw chocolate experiments re post?
xxx

Claire said...

Emma - Super duper central city urban :) Even getting rid of my car, will not need it! Don can walk to work instead of it taking 2-3 hours from his day to travel back and forth. The boys being home ed are just into more stuff than I can take them to in the car every day, esp with two small non car liking girls in tow. So we shall move :) We are all pretty excited. I love my country life but it's just not right for us any longer now the boys are older and Don is worn out with the driving. We can come back to this later, once the kids are older/grown up. Remember once I said that if my kids wanted to go to school we would move to find the right one for them? Well I guess it's sort of similar except we are moving to where there will be so much more available for them to participate in and still remain out of school (their definite preference right now). They are sort of excited by the idea of pavements and streetlights so it shall not take much to impress! However it has taken an age to find a property that will allow pets (we have been looking since Iona was born) and also I really *need* a garden. Like oxygen for me. We found a victorian rownhouse with long garden. Apple, pear, fig and walnut trees, tiny veggie patch :) So you see, we can still spread a blanket under a tree and have a picnic. I am adamant my little girls shall have the green my boys have had too :) Lots of love and I am desperate to hear all about your new house and GARDEN! How do the kids like it? I will visit COS as soon as my next baby free moment allows xoxoxoxox

Claire said...

Sian - am on to it, will have a browse through my recipes and files tonight :) xoxox

emma said...

Now I just need to know which city, and then I can get REALLY excited. It sounds like a great move for everyone. <3

Jennifer said...

Happy to see you smiling! She is an absolute dear....love all the pics.

Funny following blogs for so long, crazy to see how much Esme and Felix have grown.

Lovely, lovely family you have!

Pippa said...

Aw, that's a lovely blog post and what a cutie your baby is!! I love the faces she pulls, so full of expression!

And yes, seeing everything from a baby's eyes is enchanting. The world becomes a much more interesting place again. It's great to see babies bonding with a particular child too. Billy loves my two boys, especially Jimmy. His little face just lights up when he walks into the room which is special to watch.

And little Esme turning five!! Minnie will be five in a few days too. I got a lump in my throat the other day because I saw her dancing round the garden, singing and happy and totally sure of being loved and it just seemed so incredible to see this little person with all her life still in front of her and so full of happiness and confidence. Life is a miracle. I hope you are enjoying Mother's Day. xxxx

missking said...

oh how beautiful!!! every sngle photo! Glad you are ok.

Rachel said...

Hello! I have just found your blog from the Green Parenting forums and have loved reading as I'm also from Wales and have a little girl the same age as your youngest.

I love your beautiful photos of your even more beautiful daughters!

If you ever want to pop over to my virtual place I blog at www.vicarswifeintraining.blogspot.com

Nice to 'meet' you!

Anonymous said...

Just stopping by to let you know how much I love your blog. You are such a wonderful mother and so inspiring. The amount of knitting you fit into your day is jaw-dropping let alone all the home schooling, healthy cooking, dog walking, and child wrangling you do! I completely understand why you probably don't have time to blog anymore, but I miss you and your adventures all the same. I hope you and your family are well.
-Jenn W