Sunday, December 07, 2008

Felt undone



First attempts at needle felting, I followed Julie's instructions and voilá. Not too complex and very exciting to see taking shape so I was instantly hooked and made three. But today the freakin cat shredded one of the blue ones (the teeny girly one and my favourite of the bunch) to airy fluffy nothingness and then attacked my lovely new hank of silky wool. Enraged I chased it downstairs where it jumped up on to the kitchen worktop and began to eat the banana cake I had left out. In another rage I grabbed the beast and flung it outside into the frost. It spent the next ten minutes purring at the window mournfully and then ran off to the sweet scented hay filled barn behind the house. Pah! Bah Humbug, not even for a second did I feel like letting it back in. Of course it is upstairs curled on a bed right now, and petted half to death by more forgiving family members. Desperate measures - in order to save the two remaining dolls one became the angel adorning the Christmas tree (early or what? I can easily wait until the week before The Big Day before wanting a tree but as usual I was outvoted) and the other is on a high shelf.

Bah, Pah and Grrrrr. Crazy half wit cat. If only it used it's bit of sense to be helpful yk, like helping me tidy up or guard Esmé from eating Lego, but no, it uses it's meagre brains to hunt out and shred my woolly creations. Christmas Cat instead of Goose anyone?



We used to have a lovely nature/season shelf and then it was lost in the way of busy life and so in the slowness of winter I have revived it. Play dough snail, felted robin, lanterns and a mini twig 'tree'. After this pic was taken we settled into a beeswax candle rolling session and now have some beehive shaped candles sitting there too and then I found a card with an angel flying over skies with a tree in her arms and it sits in it's place there also. Holly and pine cones; those are next to be hunted and brought in.....



Some random family photos - Esmé in her 9.5 month glory



Dh slinging the babe



Felix taking a break from decorating the tree and again (his insisting I put this on here, with his beloved storm trooper Lego men) as he loves to smooch at the camera so he does.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear. I can understand how you feel but please don't cook the Cat, Lol
I got outvoted on the Tree thing yesterday too. DH decided we could manage it without the car. Well you should've seen it! He rolled it out into the garden centre carpark on a trolley and then tried to swing it up and over onto his back to carry it home. He and the tree went flying and the kids and I just stood there killing ourselves! Needless to say he went back to get the car.
Can't believe that's your first attempt at needle felting. They look perfect! Think I may have to have a go at following those instructions.
x

Julie said...

What that pesky cat...... After all your hard work how annoying!!! I have to say that I am very impressed and excited to see your lovely creations. They are brilliant, I love the blue coloured ones...gorgeous!!

We put our tree up last night too, I love this time of year and sometimes find myself getting more excited than the kids. I am however less excited about the pine needles that keep falling off every 5 minutes. Lola of course is trying to eat as many as possible... I think that I may just leave the hoover next to the tree.... yippee more housework how fabulous!!!!

Loved the photo's of the kids, Esme is looking so cute and look at all of her teeth. Lola still only has one, but I see about another 3 about to pop through, which is why she has been a bit grumpy recently, poor mite!!

Hope you manage to save your 2 remaining felt angels from the cat... X

Claire said...

My dh and the boys went to get the tree and esmé and I stayed at home (no room in the car) he brought back one of those ones I forget the names - where the needles are really long and don't seem to fall off. Good for me and the housework and Esmé 's mouth but they don't have that lovely pine-y scent of the needle falling variety that I remember so well from my childhood..... next year I will go instead I think :) It's worth having that smell even with the needles everywhere..... although last year I was still finding needles 6 months later in the hoover and in toy baskets and stuff!!

That blue wool is fab isn't it, I wish I had bought more, 80p per hank and I bought two and gave one away. Then the cat shredded the rest beyond use. It was at a fair too so no luck at recalling the name of the stall.... went to a Steiner fair too this weekend and found some of that curly worly wool - wensleydale or something, it looks amazing - not even real.

I made a robin (as in the pic) later and my dh had it curled in his hand and said - oh boys look I found this in the garden and they were all excited and anxious thinking it was real for about ten seconds. Then they laughed like maniacs and thought it was a cool joke.