Tuesday, June 22, 2010

it's here, summer

~ being by the side of the sea











No front teeth!



Best friends.







She was a blur of excitement-by-the-sea







~ celebrating a man we all love

He held hands, procured ice cream, spades, hats, dandled toes and wondered why we live away from the sea. Why indeed?





~ lamenting freak brief flooding; water swept down the lane and into the garden and washed away a lot of the veggie stuff and paths (farmers this year plowed their fields in furrows for potatoes and now the water channels direct to lucky-us). Thank goodness for raised beds. Poor (quite literally) people who live downhill from deforestation. I have Sainsbury's and Mrs Organic Veg, so perspective is all. I spent the whole morning munching my way through a mega bag of peas so delicious I will have to flinch when buying store bought come winter. Gratitude that most veg is intact, although goodbye strawberry bed.



~ joy in the kitchen: nettle and comfrey ointment making whereby a foolish woman stuffed her hand into the jar to pack it down. I am cured for rheumatism for life if sting-cure really works.



My mind is racing ahead with ointment and balms and massage oil recipes I shall try, some new (st.johns wort oil) some tried and tested (calendula and chamomile). I'm ahead of the game in pickings, having decided months ago a good few crops would go towards the medicine chest, I've planted many wondrous herbs and flowers just for this, but chamomile in it's star-burst glory grows at every field edge here, so little effort on my part for that. Elderflower cordial was made, Isaac is the sous chef, it's his calling I think to spend much time in the kitchen (or are all nine year old boys in love with re-runs of River Cottage?). Wonderfully shaped old olive oil bottles get another use and with so much lemon; pureed, grated, peeled, squeezed the infusing cordial wafted through the house like the sweet summer it is. I used the recipe from this book.



~ Isaac and I get lost in our badminton 'battles' each day (I don't like to keep score, he does - mainly because he beats me:) ). Green shady light, chickens underfoot and Esmé using her racket to chink with ours, or flicking away chook poop in the long grass. Lovely. It is actually. Summer reigns and I am glad to be in it's hold.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely warm happy post! Sorry to hear about your Strawbs though :-(
We've just got some Elderflower cordial on the go too. The girls and I had a sudden urge to raid the hedgerow on the way home from school yesterday.
That Kohl Rabi is a beautiful colour btw!

xxx

Cheryl said...

How heart breaking to see your hard work washed away. Strawberries as well! You're right about keeping it in proportion. I'd still be gnashing my teeth.

I'm intrigued by your nettle and comfrey ointment. What do you use it for?

Scented Sweetpeas said...

What a fantastic time by the sea. Great home made things there, by Elderflower Champagne went a bit wrong but we will try again :-)

Claire said...

cheryl - I think I will be using the comfrey and nettle ointment for muscle, joint and general aches and pains (rather than grazes and cuts or stings. Comfrey is very good for that and nettle too apparently. I think rosemary would be great in there too for the warming properties. This is how I am making it:

Fill a jar with dry chopped fresh herbs (I snipped mine with scissors as I went straight in the jar) and fill with oil, olive, sweet almond etc, what ever you have. Susun Weed prefers olive as it's cheap, easily available and makes a good vehicle for the herbs. Cap and let sit for at least a month, sun infused in a sunny spot if you like. Decant, straining herbs out and then melt beeswax into the oil until the right consistency is reached. maybe I will do a proper recipe as I finish off the ointments.

Elisabeth said...

Thanks for that recipe. I was wondering myself when i read your inspiring post. Do you use a particular book for how to make these ointments etc or do you pick up recipes and uses as you go along? Our alottment is brimming with various herbs and this year I will try and use them for salves etc

Claire said...

If you buy any susun weed book there are instructions in the back for making ointments, salves, tinctures, herbal infusions and drying herbs etc. i find her very comprehensive. I have all of her books, I LOVE the Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year and also Healing Wise. healing Wise would be the one I wpuld pick if the childbirth etc stuff wasn't imperative.

Sometiems I find recipes in other books but when I am stuck to know how tomake basic herbal stuff i end up back at Healing Wise :)

Elisabeth said...

Brilliant. Thanks. Will order that as I need something reliable that I can pick up to get the info straight away instead of having to google it!