
Supposedly glycerin coats the teeth so that saliva (which should be bathing the teeth constantly and remineralising) cannot do it's job. Teeth are alive. Isn't that cool? And can easily repair themselves given the right tools and environment. The right tools? I'll come to that in a minute - environment well that's an easy one. Alkaline. Our bodies should be alkaline and eating a whole food diet that supports this is essential (generally sugar and grain free). Just that step alone may mean no more cavities as saliva is the right pH to repair and heal. Fat soluble vitamins as maintained by Weston Price; A, D and K are essential in creating the internal environment that supports tooth repair and regeneration. Now onto the tools *rubbing hands together*! No need to ever buy toothpaste again. As a person who eats pretty well I do still get decay. I have put this down to a decade of breastfeeding and maybe lacking various minerals. But perhaps there's more to it. The glycerin obviously has not been helping. Remineralisation can happen, that much is true. I have been inspired by Nadine Artemis, natural tooth care expert but can't justify buying her Gum Drops or Yogi Tooth Serum from half a world away. They are concentrates of anti bacterial and anti fungal/microbial blends of essential oils. Mainly neem, tea tree, clove, peppermint and such in a jojoba base. One drop on a dry toothbrush (better than wet at feeling around teeth) and gentle downward only brushing is her protocol along with a drop of oil rubbed along a length of floss (non waxed variety). Using tooth powders can be a good option too, based on powdered Himalayan rock salt and bicarbonate of soda with a drop or two of the above oil. This can also be massaged into the gums or diluted in water for a mouth wash. Being gentle and repetitive seems to yield better results than pressing hard with an electric brush. The essential oils seem to work at keeping the mouth free from bacterias that are harmful to tooth health whilst not destroying the balance of micro ecosystem that is mouth health (remembering all the while the remarkable healing effects of alkaline favoured saliva). Rubbing a tooth brush over a large piece of pink rock salt and brushing is also recommended.

I have been making this, which is zingy and keeps my teeth feeling pretty clean and smooth for ages afterwards:
Toothclean Powder
1 tbsp of Himalayan rock salt powdered as fine as can be in a pestle and mortar
A good pinch of aluminium free bicarb. soda
In a lid or something small (old clean glass lip balm jar maybe?) mix one table spoon of jojoba with two drops of tea tree essential oil and 1-2 drops of neem (or peppermint or clove, whatever you have or enjoy the taste of). Mix and then add a couple of drops into the powder. Mix really well with something dry like the handle of a spoon. Sprinkle onto to a dry soft bristled brush and use as a toothpaste. Or add a bit more oil for a paste as use in the same way.
If you have the cash and inclination you can try the excellent and glycerin free tooth soaps and powders from red23.co.uk. As I have searched I have yet to find Nadine's blends in the UK for sale. She does a little YouTube clip here on her methods, and also spoke at the recent Longevity conference which is easily googled for additional info.
If anyone reading this has other similar toothpaste-free teeth cleaning recipes or similar information I'd love to hear them.
8 comments:
Thanks Claire, just what I needed!I'll have a go at making some. I had also read about the glycerine problem and those tooth soaps are sooo expensive and as we are desperately trying to re-mineralise ds3's poor teeth I think I will start to use this.
I'd love to buy one of those ionising toothbrushes at red23... think it will be on my next savings list. I think that combined with the self made tooth paste would be soooo good! Thing about the home made stuff is that my kids don't like it. So I might have to invest in the passionfruit tooth soap over there for them. They like fruity stuff so it might work for them. Right now they are using weleda and it has glycerine. Or just plain water. let me know if your ds likes it! How old is he?
He's only 18 months & hates having his teeth cleaned anyway, I use so have just been using a dot of our natural type toothpaste so i think i can probably get away with using this instead. I'll let you know how i get on. We are also using xylitol at the moment following some reading i've been doing although I'm really not sure about it but i'd try pretty much anything!
I use charcoal as an alternative/supplement to toothpaste. it cleans and whitens like a charm - have read that it can be a bit abrasive so am conservative with it but am really happy with the way it cleans.
Do you know of an alternative to tea tree as it neutralises homeopathy..?
earthmama, I don't think there are any essential oils that don't cancel out homeopathy are there? I think if that were my concern I'd use a ionising toothbrush instead which would not conflict with homeopathy, they look super and the more I think about it more I think I'll try one!
lucy, yeah xylitol is a tricky one. My boys have some xylitol gum which is pretty nice, I like it too. I have a bag of actual xylitol but don't use it, I am never quite sure if that much fructose in such a concentrate would be good for *anythng* yk, but then I don't know! It may be that tiny amounts are beneficial enough for teeth to cancel that out.
Fascinating! Thank you for posting.
I've given you the beautiful blogger award too, pop over to my blog and collect it, if you fancy :-)
Joxy.
Interseting. My big ds has been talking about this recently and had been looking at this page
http://www.smartahealth.com/remineralization.html
i'm sure you will be familiar with the stuff already, but thought i would pass it on anyway. It also talks about oil pulling, which I had never heard of and sounds a bit bizarre, although it is not really. since reading about it I have seen it mentioned several times.
x
Post a Comment