Friday, September 21, 2012
baby
Iona Elspeth
Born 10th September
10lbs 2oz
41 weeks and 3 days of pregnancy = a fat little bundle of baby with a 38cm head that I could not birth! My sweet one was not my hoped for second vbac, but a c-section. A surgery that opened my body on the medical alter but which perhaps has closed many wounds I have carried about surgery and childbirth. You see I hated my first two son's sections. I felt weak and failing to have had them. Triumphant then when I birthed Esmé whole and intact on my bathroom floor.
I dreamed a lot this pregnancy about hospitals and knew in a weird way this baby, Iona, would be born the way she was. Or near enough. It was nothing like a lack of confidence in myself or body, more a knowing that she was not coming out. Not by my or her efforts. I was carrying twice the amount of amniotic fluid, an extra large placenta and of course extra large baby. In the time it took to labour and birth my last girl, I was still only at one cm with Iona. It just never felt quite right her labour. I felt right and at peace with the c-section choice. Even though for the die-hard birth folks I am a freak and cop out. I am neither. I choose the option best for my body and baby at the time. I sound like I am justifying something here. And I don't want to! Or feel the need. But that is often the way with c-sections.
I had lots of scar pain at the onset of labour which led us to transfer to hospital where it eased off. But after ten hours of labour and a very low blood pressure I am not sure my scar tissue would have coped with more labour.
When I found out I was pregnant with Iona it was all about her. Not about The Birth. Like the culmination of my other pregnancy thoughts. It was about her (who by the way I really thought was a he). I just wanted her so badly in my arms. I remember saying way back that this time it was nothing about the birth, that I didn't much care, I just wanted my baby, in my arms. And it came to pass.
She is here. And I will be greedy and stare at her all day long. Glory in her being. Triumphant. Don and I cried when she came out pink, huge and screaming. He rocked her in his arms with tears and leaned over so I could kiss her about every 30 seconds. Where my own tears ran all down to my ears. Life is unexpected. And now, 10 days later I am still overawed that I have another daughter. I mean, I knit everything blue
! :lol
Welcome my sweet peaceful baby. You were loved before we saw you and now a million times more. You are worth the aching body and separated tummy muscles. I'd do it again. Tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





30 comments:
I want to come and squish her (gently). Congratulations again a hundred times!!
Oh my she is scrumptious.
And gosh, yes babe in arms, however it happens is utter joy!!
And I adore her name, so beautiful
She's so precious and scrumptious and perfect! You really do make the most darling babies you know!
Not that you need validation from me, or anyone else, but I think you were very strong and sure and confident in your instincts and all of the things that "die hard birth folks" talk about women needing to be. I'm in awe of how gracefully you brought her into the world. Peacefully, with beauty and perspective, instead of railing against the circumstances.
Just beautiful! No justification needed, every birth is different and what REALLY counts is a healthy mum and babe.
I had a funny feeling she was a she so there'll be something tiny in pink through the letterbox real soon!
And not that you really need me to tell you this but she is absolutely gorgeous!!
Healing vibes sent your way too sweet mama.
Love San xx
I hardly know what to say, so beautiful.
V
xxx
Congratulations to you all : )
beautiful! and covered head to toe in knitted loveliness : )
Oh she is so beautiful!! I love your outlook on her birth--you did what was right for her, and you. If anything, trusting our instincts should be the main focus. So happy for you and your family!
She is scrumptious, and you are a beautiful radiant birthing goddess. :)
Congratulations to you and your beautiful family ~ so very happy for you all :)
beautiful baby! x
Gorgeous gorgeous girl. Beautiful name. You are a strong mama and it sounds like your experience was exactly what was needed for you both. xxx
Congratulations! She's beautifull and what a great name
Congratulations!! She is lovely, she is beautiful! A real bundle of joy.
clever clever mama, she is beautiful. No need to justify her birth at all, so refreshing to hear someone so at peace with a c section. enjoy falling in love, babymoon your heart out and last but not least .... welcome earthside baby Iona x x x
clever clever mama, she is beautiful. No need to justify her birth at all, so refreshing to hear someone so at peace with a c section. enjoy falling in love, babymoon your heart out and last but not least .... welcome earthside baby Iona x x x
Beautiful, congratulations to you and your family x
Oh Claire ! She's just so so lovely <3 Makes me almost want another ;)
I could gather her up and have her for my own..isn't she just so beautiful
Congratulations....I did wonder when you were off line for a while.....well done you x
Wonderful new!
Sending love and a welcome Earthside to your little baby.
Enjoy that beautiful babymoon.
congratulations, she is gorgeous
She is beautiful, and you are amazing!
Angie
A long and happy life to Iona. A beautiful name for a beautiful girl, born in a wonderful family.
welcome to the world precious iona, congratulations sweet family. birthing is a moment, a healthy child is forever (and every birth story is special). xxx
A beautiful child and a beautiful name. I thought immediately of the hauntingly atmospheric Waterboys song Peace of Iona. Perhaps you know it. May her life be love and love be long. X
oh many, many beautiful congratulations!!!! We are blessed to live in a time when we can use the hospital when we need it.
mothering is so much more than just birth... :-)
sending a thousand peaceful wishes for a lovely babymoon!!
xxxx
ps. 10 sept is my wedding anniversary - happy day!
Congratulations, she is sooo scrummy!!!!!
She's gorgeous! Congratulations.
such huge congratulations
she's stunning :~)
I wanted to say (but my toddler lost the link before I could comment) that I'm so very glad for you that you are happy with this birth, and that it was healing for you, even if it didn't go the way you hoped. She's beautiful!
Post a Comment