Sunday, February 26, 2006

Winter Warmer

'Winter Warmer' is the name my son has given this soup. I had to make it today. It is so cold. I wore my wool socks. My wool jumper. My sheepskin slippers. I cooked soup. We flew our kite. Then we hurried indoors again to eat. Winter makes me eat. I think my body conveniently forgets I am living in the modern supermarkets-open-24-hour, abundant food everyday modern life. I eat like - oh this is winter, maybe food is scarce, better eat whilst I can. My body is clocked onto an ancient time zone where I need to keep warm with food (rather than central heating). No matter that I tell it otherwise. It ends up slinking back to the kitchen to see what my hands can rustle up. My boys eat this way all of the time. All three of them. Seems churlish not to join in I suppose.

Soup

Bone broth
Soaked mixed soup lentils
Grated carrot
Chopped and softened onions
Tomato puree (lots of) or tin of toms
Squeeze of chilli paste (of dash of sun dried chilli's)

Very simple, thick and spicy; sticks to the ribs for hours.

When I crave apple cider vinegar (isn't that a strange thing to crave?) this is how I get my fix; grated carrot mixed with a cap full of the vinegar stirred and sprinkled with spicy pumpkin seeds (I soak them in cayenne pepper before drying them out). This is my half finished bowl.


Lots of red and orange and fiery colours to visually induce warmth. I think I'd better make this again on Tuesday, my sister is visiting and tells me my house is cold. Everyone tells me my house is cold. They are either wimpish poor circulation type of people or maybe my house is really cold. It might be. I open the windows everyday for some time regardless of weather. Otherwise I feel closed in and suffocating. Imagine living in a hut all winter, or a cave! Although I suppose plenty of ventilation (i.e drafts wafting through hanging animal skins)). When I visit other people's homes I can hardly breathe the heat is turned up so high. Certainly no need of animal skin. Sister dear, I will lay out some wool jumpers for you - PS) Don't forget your slippers!

2 comments:

Kt said...

I open my windows all year long too. I can't stand that too stuffy, stale, overly warm feeling--not that I mind being warm and cozy, but I need fresh air, too.

Anonymous said...

My sweet darling sister,

I certainly do not have wimpish circulation, your house is REALLY cold! I will bring my new sheapskin slippers and my new woolley birthday socks from james to make sure i am not shivering. Ha! ha!

Bean soup looks so nice, i am definately making that this week! thanks claire pear! x