Does anyone else just detest the constant background blah of the radio? This is the most common reason for dh and I to disagree during the weekend. Honestly, it is farcical. But really I cannot stand the constant background drone of chatter and advertisements and clang-bang music assaulting my ears. It feels like SUCH an intrusion into my own personal head space. Sometimes it gets so that I can't even think, just feel this surging anger at The Radio. And of course Dh for having put it on. He just thinks I am being ridiculous and that music makes him feel good, that the radio especially because you never know what is coming and get these wonderful surprises - songs you haven't thought about for years, old favorites, new tunes.... I have put forwards lots of suggestions (non of which have been met with success).
1) Shut the door to room with radio (does not work because little boys like to go to and fro between us and like door open. Especially since so often I say 'in this house we keep doors open' partly due to loud door bang games and little fingers)
2) suggest use of personal ipod type of music library - dh actually told me to f**k off with that one (not exactly sure why other than feelings of my 'controlling' him *shrug* and his not liking feelings of been confined, which ear-piece induces)
3) The listening to music of which I also like - but this dh says looses the spontaneity of radio which he most enjoys.
Throw radio out of window then run out and stamp on it a good ten times, pick up remaining pieces and hurl at brick wall? Can you believe I actually bought him this current monstrosity-digital-radio with far too many stations? What was I thinking....
I have told dh it is his turn to suggest ideas now, but he claims I am the one with the problem.... Which is true but does not sit right.
Suggestions/ideas most welcome :)
5 comments:
I'm laughing so much at the brick wall solution. Yeah, honey, go with that one *lol*
Ear plugs for you? Maybe have your own little radio with earphones tuned to white noise?
DAnce around to the music - I mean, REALLY hear it. MAke it the entertainment. Get Ds on a drum kit tappin' in time, and Ds2 on pan lids...
No suggestions, just sympathy. The constant chatter and forced laughter and louder ads drive me crazy. Music is fine, though--I love my iPod. :)
He lives with you. He loves you. It's his problem too. I mean, you could just turn it off everytime it annoys you, and then it's obviously his problem. :-P
Seriously, if it's the spontaneous nature of the radio, he can get an iPod and put TONS of music on it and then set it on shuffle... If it's the headphones, you could do what I just described w/an iPod and then get a thingie to connect it to the stereo (there are radio antennas and audiotapes that work for this) -- you'd do away w/the ads and stupid chatter, he wouldn't have to wear those dinky little ear buds...
Nawny
What's worse is the constant drone of the TV. I'd throw it out the window but it's my husbands and it weighs, like, 800 pounds or something. (Isn't that, like, 16 billion stone?)
At any rate, give him an iPod. I kid you not. A Shuffle, it's the cheapest. Give him an iTunes card and a subscription to Audible.com so he can download audiobooks. Let him plug in the earbuds and enjoy. I did it with my husband and it's dreamy.
Also, if he has an iPod and plays it out loud via speakers? No commercials!!!
I love the background of music and chatter. Sometimes too much quiet is too loud for me. (I know that sounds odd.) Ipod is good, or you could make him special mix cds as gifts. You can use rewritable cds. Then you know music everyone loves will be on it.
Post a Comment