Monday, July 28, 2008

garden food



The potato plants were so high we could not wait a moment longer and had to check for their treasures beneath - success! So satisfying to dig a hole, throw in a sprouting spud and come back weeks later and dig up several more in the place of that one. Got to be one of the easier things to grow for sure.





Isaac was SO excited! He stood rapt talking about every which way he could think of to eat potatoes...... eventually breaking off to stare into the middle distance to think of more! (I love that little boy look - where the front 'adult' teeth are in and the rest of the body has yet to catch up :) )




Beetroot leaves and stems I prefer to the lovely flesh globes (although they too are lovely cooked, sliced and sprinkled with salt). We had lovely sautaeed leaves and chopped stems with onion, garlic, oil, seasoning and baby carrots with our buttery steamed spuds. Yum. Gotta love garden food.



Hopefully our veg will help us mend..... We have all been ill.... maybe German Measles? Fifths disease? All had ranging fevers and headaches - for days. Esmé came out in spots from head to toe which then sort of blotched and morphed into just plain redness. Not bothering her tho. Very weird. Isaac's spots were only facial and he ended up with very red blotchy cheeks. Fevers still coming and going. This weekend was a very very gentle one, the swim being the most any of us have done in ages. On the mend now tho with canoing booked for the weekend with friends :)

2 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Claire, sorry to hear that you have all been ill, but glad to hear that you are all on the mend. We have had a few weeks of being ill over this side of the world as well, so I know how you feel. Lot's of your lovely veg will soon sort you out. Looks like you are having some lovely sunny days and what a great place to go swimming!!

I have put that mag away (from sticky jam fingers..) for when you want to swap, just email me and let me know as I will probably forget all about it... X

Claire said...

oh I did email you!!! A couple of weeks ago! I sent my address..... I will try again, maybe I got the address wrong or something....