Friday, July 18, 2008

Treasure Basket

I am starting to put one of these Treasure Baskets together ready for when Esmé can sit up. I love the idea that these are all objects I can find around my house, I love that they are all in one little basket and special just for the baby (although what's the bet it will suddenly become interesting for bigger boys too? :) ). I always had these sorts of things around for the boys but never in one specific place. I might make two, one for upstairs and one for down..... I shall keep my eyes peeled when we are out and about for extras to add if I happen to see something interesting.





An easy peasy idea for lots of tactile and interesting exploring. The idea being that it stimulates the senses. I think what appeals to me most is that these are not 'pointless' plastic rattles that serve no purpose other than momentary diversion, these are things that later on may be used and touched again in different ways. Useful objects - purposeful, every day, regular normal items that our babes can associate with real activities later (although hey, I seriously doubt my honey will ever see me using hair rollers or a butter press :lol).


List of ideas:

length of metal chain
5 coloured ribbons
velvet powder puff
washing-up brush
wooden egg cup
keys & keychain
piece of leather
wooden spoons
small jar & lid
wooden bowl
honey dipper
woollen ball
plug & chain
wooden egg
pastry brush
butter press
bottle brush
wooden car
tea strainer
hair rollers
toothbrush
scent bag
castanet
loofah
whisk
bells

More ideas:

Natural objects: fir cones of differing sizes, large pebbles, shells, big feathers, large corks, a pumice stone, small glass bottles or jars

Objects made from natural materials: shaving brush, small baskets, bone shoe horn, small raffia mat, clothes peg, leather specs case, paint brush

Wooden objects: clothes peg, large beads on string, small bowls, curtain rings, wooden nail brush

Metal objects: spoons, tin lids, garlic crusher, metal beaker, brass curtain rings

Objects in leather, textile, rubber, fur: leather purse, rubber gloves, small soft toy, small flannel, rubber ball, tennis ball, fur fabric

Paper, cardboard: notebook, greaseproof paper, egg boxes

Idea lifted from this website Contented Child

5 comments:

Julie said...

What a cool idea, I especially love the idea that it is REAL stuff, to be used again. I am definately going to organise one of these for T! It is great to know someone with a baby the same age, I can pinch all your fantastic ideas, keep them coming! Love the website too thanks for the link..X

Cut&Alter said...

Great idea - I did it with number 1 and it was a played with loads. Sadly didn't get round to it with number 2 :(

Unknown said...

Such a lovely idea

Laura said...

Lovely. We used to use these at school with our youngest children. I'll definitely be making some for our next baby (when we have one).

Gina said...

We made one of these for Tarka and I'm really looking forward to creating one for then new baby too :)