Thursday, May 06, 2010

lazy day skirt



I made this skirt for The Beauty, an Oliver + S free pattern, it was easy peasy and now I have made one I can see I'll be making many more.

I've had this pattern for ages just sitting around and last year, well, Esmé didn't seem big enough for a skirt, dresses yes but skirts no. Skirts are sort of for big-toddlers, real little girls, not baby-toddlers - something just weird about a tiny dot in a skirt for me. And with a big nappied butt under too? Nah. But now, oh yeah, it's totally her.

Sidenote: And she is now 100% nappy free, I am still in shock over her quickness and speediness in this 'potty training' (brrrr, I really dislike that term), I've never done this, I know too many 'holders' who are afraid of the toilet/potty to ever contemplate 'training' a child to 'go'. They just do it. I have seen it three times in three different ways. She just said 'big girl now' and said no to a night time nappy. Dry every night so far and even wakes to ask to go in the dark hours. I am always wowed by such mega bursts of personal growth.



A celebration skirt was in order. For lots of flipping up and weeing :)



It really is very straight cut, a whole width of fabric- twirly whirly style. A double folded waist band for neatness and strength and a very neat trick to sew the ribbon around the hem (sew it on the wrong side of fabric, flip in over, press, trim away the excess fabric and then sew again. She must have hiked it up or something here....



Now I just need lots more delicious ribbon, lucky me, right here in my little town I have this little ribbon shop to waste lots of time in....

6 comments:

devonmama said...

I love it! Just wish I had a little girl to make one for :) x

Pippa said...

Beautiful pictures and I love the little skirt!

Scented Sweetpeas said...

Fab skirt! oohh how i want to learn to sew on a machine to make little sweetpea things. Loving all those photos.

Roof said...

What a beautiful skirt!

nocton4 said...

so gorgeous, want one, want one xxx

The Yarn Owl said...

Love the skirt, and the cardigan-which knitting pattern is it from?
x