Wednesday, August 25, 2010

should have a post of it's own

This book really ought to. But being lazy I am adding on a few extra bits at the end.



Way way back on this blog and for the last decade I have been sporadically on the hunt for this book my one of my childhood faves (along with Phoebe and the hot water bottles and Little Black Sambo). And yesterday it flopped onto my door mat. A superb gift from Anna, the winner of the 'Hello Baby' Book Giveaway. I have read it to the three little ones about three or four times already.

I swear, I turned each page and I could *remember* every single picture. It was so familiar it was like I have always had it. Surreal. And wonderful. A million thank you's.

A little piece of myself slotted back into place. It's very strange how special books can do that, but for me it happens. I have familiar comfort books I read and read in times of stress, books I read over and over for inspiration, books that seem to fit into Winter and other to Summer. Childhood books though, are a realm to themselves. Like eating rice pudding or a childish blended of Heinz type chicken soup with Jacob's crackers crumbled in. They hark back to the days of pure, true comfort. When you may have had worries but you didn't need to. When your mum bought you fleece lined mid calf boots for the winter and your mittens usually still had a string around your neck.







Ahem. Yeah. Anyway. Looking at this little thin paper book made me feel all of those things sentimentally together.



The Beauty and I make The Best Shortbread in The World for the boys.

250g butter, soft and cubed
125g unrefined caster sugar
250g spelt flour
125g semolina or cornflour



~ Cream butter and sugar for about ten minutes, until nice and white and fluffy. Sift in the flour and semolina/cornflour. Mix with a wooden spoon and then your hands until a nice dough forms. Spread and pat this down into a greased tray and prick all over with fork for that nice shortbread-y look. Bake in a medium over for about 50 minutes or until golden. This is the sort of shortbread that wins prizes at the summer fair..... so people have commented to us :)



Liking the newest bear.



The veg garden is dominated by a forest of Kale which I fear we may never get through.



Sunflowers still abound.



There is an exciting autumnal nip in the air isn't there? Looking forward so much to the autumn treats of bonfires and wearing jumpers, chocolate apples, blackberry jam making and apple picking.... and of course lot of delicious evening story reading :)

4 comments:

arwen_tiw said...

Yes, I am so excited for Autumn too! And the garden, the harvesting... Love your shares, as always mama. :)

Big mamma frog said...

That's Italian/Tuscan kale, yes? Don't worry if you don't get through it all now. It will overwinter and recover in early spring throwing off tasty flower bud shoots that you can steam and eat just like purple sprouting.

Actually they're better than purple sprouting, just as prolific and a great crop when nothing much else is growing.

Pippa said...

Great photos!! I have kept my favourite book that I loved when I was a child, it's called The Hobyas and I used to want it read to me over and over again. My children can't see the fascination of it, but I loved the sing-song way the story was told (even if Little Dog Turpie should never have been put in that turnip box!)

julie said...

so know what you mean re the childhood books - have you read Jane Brocket "Cherry Cakes and Ginger Beer" - it's a kind of anthology of great children's books and a cook book all in one, definitely recommend it for a nostalgia fest - and a great reminder of some lovely books