
Doing perfectly ordinary summery things. The blessed ordinary. One doesn't need to be in a war zone or in mortal peril or the edge or an emotional precipice to feel that ordinary daily life is a blessing (although those things may help). If I bow my head and heart to anything it's the continuation and extraordinary wonderfulness of ordinary days. Long may they reign.


When we are too tired to go for a proper walk we wander here by our house. Last night it was just the girl and I, we looked at pine cones dangling from trees. Perfectly pretty, like a wind blowing through the body and sifting out the nonsense.
If I am scoured clean by being by the sea I am similarly soothed inland-green.








We have many more chicks. And this is reason for celebration. Each of the four mothers have a chick or more each. They have swapped nests so often the original layers of each egg would be hard to match to hen. We have a white mother bringing up a golden chick and another white one with two of the most delicious black-yellow bumblebee of babies. It's all a big ethnic blend in our hen houses, sisters sharing babies. Very amusing. Each mother has her own 'ark' (er, my dh knocking up some pallets and crates into huts). I adore these homes. Each time a new one is erected (four so far) I want to (and have) crawled in just to *see*.


The combination of old wood, straw and damp earth, sheltered at one end with some old tarp is comforting and earthy and a deep draft of breathe brings in clouds of sweet summer rain.

Even though I have crumbed the grain the mothers still peck it into tiny bits and drop at their chick's feet, motioning to eat, clucking encouragingly, patiently repeating with hard boiled egg yolk over and over until the chick catches on. A clucking mother hen I have finally seen in action.
Mama and single babe one day

And the next, the brown egg became it's sister

See? Two chicks, then one ducks under a maternal wing

Now one again! (we watch this often and it still amuses)

The naming is out of hand and I have given in against the tide of swelling optimism that a) they are female and thus shall not end up in the pot which leads to b) that they shall bare the dignity (or burden I think considering the choices) of names. Polly Twinkle Eyes, Delia Yellow Butt, Daisy Baby and Rosie Flo are some.... Delia is the favourite, because she really does have a yellow butt.

I do hope the majority of these chicks end up not being cocks. I would like to keep them all, however have already enlisted the help of chicken killer friend to come over around Christmas time and show us the ropes of plucking and gutting. Another friend piped up upon overhearing that she too would very much like to come over and see how it's done. Perhaps we could extend invitations and turn it in to a chilly wintry feast day of sizzling outdoor chicken.
We have been swimming in the river. Me included. The current is deceptively fast flowing, when I strike out for the centre and upstream I cannot keep to a chosen point and despite my flailing I drift downriver. It's also much colder than it looks. But you can tell. I am sure. The Beauty skips along the water edge, throwing stones at unlucky passers by.








I am liking this lovely voice. This is a drifting stream of a song, I had to play it thrice in a row when I first heard it.
We have been crafting and painting.



And making a fairy garden. It's Felix's. He loves it and really truly believes in fairies. And goblins and pixies and that a fat toad we saw nearby had lost it's 'Master', a fairy. We found a feather in there the following day and for sure a fairy swooped in aboard it's bird and left us feather-gift behind. I wanted to do the whole garden-centre-tiny-plants bit but choose the frugal garden scavenging option instead. Just as pleasing and cost nothing but time.




The wheat is in and weetabix-bales are out for us to play on. A lengthy game of hide and seek happened at 9pm last night. The cows were still out and so were we.


10 comments:
Lovely photos, sound like blissful days, especially love the lanterns, are they from your imagination or is there a template for them?
oh well it's funny you should ask! I am putting together a shop atm with my knitted items and some sewed stuff and also some craft packs. One of the craft packs is the 'Magic Star' Dodecahedron lantern with photo tutorial. It includes two A2 sheets of wet on wet painted watercolour paper that I have painted, tea lights and different sized pentagon templates. I am just getting it all packed up and sent off to potential suppliers.
BUT (shhhhh!) if you look at the blog Magic Childhood (there is a link in my sidebar) there is a similar tutorial there all for free! :lol You'll just have to assemble your own supplies. Or you can wait until my shop is up in a week or so!! :b
Lovely, lovely photos.
BTW, when it comes to plucking chickens... if you're doing a few the ole fingers can get a bit sore, so get some nice soothing handcream in (or make some)
Happily, plucking and gutting chickens isn't difficult, just for goodness sakes avoid cutting or breaking the intestine track.. cos blimey it reeks!
what a treat! thank you for a lovely post. let us know when your shop goes live. I will be buying lanterns :)
It looks so beautiful where you live. Reminds me of where I grew up. I have been thinking for ages to set up a fairy garden too and got some inspiration from your post. Thanks!
oh - will wait for your shop, time being a little short for assembling materials at the moment - blame the 11 week old, lol. Looks like something the Brownies would enjoy doing too :)
wow you have been busy and those chicks are so sweet :-) We have had a couple of chicks hatch but one died - the kiddies were so sad as they even took it to bed with them to keep it warm as the mum chick kicked it out (she obviously knew something wasn't right :-(). We have had cockerels that were meant for dinner but we only had the heart to kill one (and that was only because it attacked little sweetpea :-(). I wouldn't make a good farmer as I can't bare to have the killed :-(
Wow, if this is ordinary then your children are truly blessed to have such a magical, natural childhood. Lovely.
Claire, you are right, I often forget it too. I sometimes think we need to 'go out' or go away and 'do more' in the way of exciting things. But these exciting days out, we have a few now and again, and very dully I always long to be home. Weeding in the garden or wiping a windowsill, or watching chicks, or knitting or reading a story. We are poor in monetary terms and if the exciting days are minimal the ordinary ones are certainly full and flavoursome enough for me. There is more richness in my garden and surroundings than a person can know what to do with so my kids don't know what Alton Towers is, or have (ever?, surely they must have sometime...) seen the inside of a shopping mall. I don't know what they make of this to be honest. They don't act bored, but who knows, they'll tell me as adults no doubt that I deprived them of Nintendo and things!
Sweetpea - poor chick! I don't know what sort of farmer I would make. Considering I run straight to my dh to lift anything remotely heavy or to dig a bit of ground that looks tiresome. I certainly need to cultivate some stamina (and backbone :lol) I mistakenly assume along the way without asking that my dh is as keen as I am to exppand land and animals, but he informs me it's not quite true. This means if we do I will be the one in charge and with the responsibility (and it will be my physical strength that is used). Daunting. Am I up for it? I hope it.
***sigh****
sweet, sweet, summer.
Post a Comment