
A run of home days, and they were sunny. Thinking how lovely it is when you can sit outside with a cup of tea in the sun. One of life's smallest and loveliest of pleasures. I have a favourite place to sit, on some steps across the bridge looking out at the garden. The morning sun hits that spot first once a certain point in the year is reached, and it's been so long since I sat there! The cat stretched out beside me on the warm enough stone and the little girl that is my daily shadow was not far away either.

I flung my windows open and let the pale warm sun and spring air move through.

Chives, so many clumps!

Wild garlic. I am LOVING seeing this tiny walkway by the stream fill up again with these tender pointed arrow-like-leaves. The Man was felling some dead trees there this past weekend and and the scent released as the wood hit the ground beneath was amazing!

Is it time again to start up Free Food Friday I wonder? It's profuse and amazing and just walking there fills the air with it's sweet onion 'taste'. What is so giddy and joyful and satisfying to me is having been in this one place now long enough to see it again and again and again.

In years past I have made garlic butter, garlic pesto, garlic bread, garlic soup.... and added it to salads, stews and such (at the last minute, bit like spinach). Since I don't 'do' dairy or grains any longer, I will see what else I can add it too this year. I have some ideas..... the crackers I made here might be good whizzed up with garlic leaves too before being spread to dry, or maybe in omelettes with chives?

Sunny Spring garden time. I cleaned up the pond and the cat was most interested. I do like cats. Never much used to until I had my own. They are much more human-like than dogs I think. They have this selfish almost self indulgent nature at times, but have such proud and graceful bearings with it that make you forgive the former less like able characteristics instantly. They say without apology, yes of course I shall bask in the sun, sleep and eat at leisure, shouldn't we all? Then rub alongside you with love, or curl up the chair you just vacated, almost trying to embody your warmth and scent. Such funny animals. But everyone here still lusts for a dog. The selfless, friendly love you to death sort, with mud and hairs and actual body odor. My mother's dog has such a malodorous odour that it might have put me off dog ownership for life had I not realised that *other* dogs actually don't smell. I am getting there I think. Probably before the year is out we may find ourselves with swelling number of bodies in this house.



Lastly, but the best thing of all, Felix turned eight! What a treasure he is. Such a gentle happy little boy. So easily excited and pleased. At the end of his birthday he said he was a bit sad that it was over, when it had been such a Good Day.
Happy Birthday Felix, we love you :)


8 comments:
Wow - Fe most certainly looks a whole year older :) I wish we lived near each other - Sascha and Felix would be fast friends I'm sure :)
Hi, send Felix our best wishes (and Isaac too : ) we've wee gifts next time we see you.
We've kind of adopted a farm cat - I'd forgotten how nice it is to have one around. Also still undecided on Nellie having a litter or just getting another puppy mmmm either way our family is increasing this year too. A Belgian Hare is also on my wishlist : )
Looks like spring has finally sprung! xx
Happy Birthday Felix! Hope he had a wonderful day. Life with a dog is much easier for us now he's grown a bit, the early puppy days were utter madness but fun nonetheless! Leon loves him so much, in fact he wanted to get up at 1am last night so he could give Dexter a cuddle! Ax
Many belated birthday blessings to your boy. How happy he looks. Our old dog is - well- very old. I an determined that he will be the last, but we live in such a doggy place :)
I am really enjoying those links you posted - trouble is, they keep leading me deeper on! I will reply there, but thank you. xx
Where do you get your wee girl's clothes from (aside from the ones you make)? I'm liking the stripy skirt/dress on show in the photos. I've just had a teeny girl to add to my toddler boy. For the most part I'm likely to be happy for her to wear his hand-me-downs and be a ruffian tom boy (until she starts to express any alternative preference) but would like to have some indication that she's a girl - but can't stand the dominance of homogeneous fluffy pink which seems to be all they sell for little girls. So back to the question - where do you find her clothes cos I like them.
smilymel - So many congratulations on the birth of your daughter! I checked out your blog, she looks so beautiful! And so big!
Anyway, clothes, yeah I buy from Friugi for some dresses (on sale!), sometimes Bishopton Trdaing (for the odd cute floral dress that then needs some stripes or dots added before it becomes too twee) or Green Baby, Legwarmers from BabyLegs, skirts I usually make, shirts in the boys section at Frugi are very soft flannel and nice looking. H&M for odd things (like tutu's! and some tights). Lots of handknits and sometimes sweaters from Tatty Bumpkin, sometimes leggings from M&S (although the Frugi ones are so much thicker and softer!)... that's about all I can think of! Plus hand me downs from her big girl cousin.
Claire xoxo
Thank you! She's gorgeous. And thanks for the list of sites - I've added them to my list of on-line places to love. Another favourite is www.rainbowbabies.co.uk
thanks! Will check them out :)
xox
Post a Comment