Tuesday, March 01, 2011

barefoot



I finished knitting this Pickles Plain Vest for The Beauty but I cannot stuff her cylindrical sausage-body into it, she is simply too big. Amy Karol wrote of dressing her dd as being akin to dressing a hotdog, she is right on, so funny are little girls and their bodies. Such an easy pattern, and perfect for knitting, say in the car, which is what I did on the trip to Hampshire and back, visiting family. Notes on my ravelry page about my adjustments for sizing up (but obviously not, ahem, enough of that going on).



She dresses herself sometimes, and discards many things along the way.





I'll pretend it's 'modern art'.





Not hard to guess which boy made this.



Sometimes when I drive I get a huge urge to pull over and stare at things. It's so nice when we are not in a rush and I can actually do so. I used to refrain thinking my kids would get bored by my meanderings on our way to places but I find they don't mind at all.





Spot my biggest boy, jumping from his friend's hay loft. They had been clearing it out and heaped out some 40 year old hay (still looking like fresh hay amazingly). Not sure if their goats were eating it though, they could tell the difference even if I couldn't



One is pregnant, I am so excited to follow the pregnancy and the birth and then the milking! (shhhhhh, I feel like I am in training, I'd LOVE some goats). Although hardly a real secret around here, my dh was over visiting a few weeks ago without me and purposefully neglected to tell me about the goat in kid because he knew my enthusiasm for goats would be renewed. Naughty man. But he certainly knows me :)



Having nanny visit us is So Good. Come back Nanny!



Up on the Bluff, walking barefoot, I really am a hippy. It is such a stark and rich landscape. I have been up twice in the last week, just to feel that spring of moss and dampness under my feet and see the bleached out yellow and burnished fern-y ness of everything. Some days this is enough for me to feel all filled up. Additionally this trip is rich in it's roadside pickings - fresh duck eggs! Such a treat.













I work in Alex's shop so I was interested to see the another face of his; the singer/songwriter. He has a great voice and manages to captures the audience - you feel on the edge of your chair, not wanting to miss the lyrics. I had to wipe a single tear away as I clapped after one song. I love the dark side of love which he sings of. This one and also this are my favourites I think. The loveliness too of being out, ALONE! With The Man, so lovely. I forget I am a proper grown up who can (with some jiggery-pokery) manage to do these things. Granted I had to lie down in PJ's with the Girl while she fell asleep and then tip-toe-trip around the bedroom trying to find something resembling 'going out' clothes to wear, but it was so worth it.

15 comments:

Roof said...

Eve and I love seeing pregnant animals too - just spent a few days on an organic farm wher she asked the goat chap A LOT of goat pregnancy questions; and we followed a pregnant cow part of the way home from school this afternoon, waiting behind her on the narrow path as she scrtched herself along the ivy on the wall. Such rounded bellies they have!

Earthenwitch said...

I love the way our small girl always seems to notice lambs etc having a feed - she is very keen to point out that there is cuddling and feeding taking place, like we do. :)

I also love the Beauty's boots - tell me, are they Celtic Sheepskin by any chance?

Claire said...

Yes they are Celtic boots :)

My dd has nearly outgrown these ones and has the next pair waiting (Felix's old ones). These boots were Felix's, then my nephew Rubens and now are Esmé's. They have been in the washing machine a zillion and one times and still have so much wear left. They are my favourite warm shoe too. I have an old pair I use for gardening and a newer pair for the rest of the time :)

Would you like The Beauty's boots to have (no payment they are well used!)? I will check if the others fit or not yet, been meaning to for ages. Just say if so.... you many need to throw them in your machine tho (40oC wash), my girl is certainly NOT dainty around mud :)

Claire

PS) a million baby congrats btw, been thinking about you :) xox

Claire said...

Roof! So glad to finally catch up with you on your blog - what an amzing time you all seem to be having, just fabulous! So cool to see!

Claire xox

M said...

oh, that is lovely wool. So very subtly shaded!

Never thought to put our sheepskin boots in the washing machine. I'm very washing machine phobic!!

Claire said...

yeah I know it does seem weird, mine just had instructions with them that said it was ok so i tried it and it's true they were fine. I also put E's car seat sheepskin through the wash, god it was so gross and matted and yucky and it came out so amazing, like it was brand new again, not shrunk or felted or anythign. Not sure how!

Anonymous said...

I always loved framing the girls' paintings. The older three don't tend to get the paints out so much these days but Rose still loves to.

Lovely to see your mum's face again. I never go into the shop these days. Didn't like the 'feel' of it after your mum left. I pop into Larchfield for bits and bobs when I'm passing (and finances permit)now instead. Send her my love x

Love the knitting btw. Can't believe you can knit in the car. I'd either make a mess of the knitting or skewer myself on the needles Lol.

xxx

The Yarn Owl said...

I'd love to knit in the car, mum can knit socks while dad drives but I would turn green!! We are headed your way on Monday for a holiday with Nanny and Grubdrub (as Miss E has christened him!) and can't wait for them to have some Nanny time (and me to knit and get fed, yay!)

Where are her other sandal type shoes from? I've got E some new ones now but struggled to find nice ones anywhere other than online

Anonymous said...

the ones on the left? They are hush puppies and hardly worn. Don't know why I buy such things when we are mired in mud constantly. I refuse tobuy shoes any longer! It's boots or wellies or nothing!! esmé was given a pair of purple crocs last year and totally loved them, they were glued ot her feet, and ugly as they are I have to admit they stayed on and were comfy/airy.

Claire

Cyfaill said...

Nanny looks so... well, British.

Goodness I miss being around British Nannies.

I see you in her face.

Anonymous said...

Hello, love the knitting: would like to knit this for my little one - which colour did you use from Colinette Art collection? Thanks, Claire x

Earthenwitch said...

Oooooh! I would absolutely love them if she's nearly out of them! I have been ogling their website while reminding myself of our dire finances lately... So if you're sure, that would be lovely!

Clearly, this means I would like to send you some felted pumpkins. :)

Claire said...

The coclourway for the Colinette yarn is Nutmes.

EW- The boots-in-waiting are still too big so she'll need to keep these ones just a while longer. I will certainly pass them on to you though if you don't mind a scruffy sheepskin boot! I'll pm you for your address nearer the time :)

Claire

Earthenwitch said...

Scruffy sheepskin boots sound perfect, and thank you again for thinking of us!

Claire said...

:) very welcome