Monday, August 01, 2011

You love; you learn

I really want to home educate Isaac again. He has been at the local school an entire term now. (This is his second ‘try’ at school, read about his first here).

Things I have noticed since he started:

Always super tired, quiet and ‘moody’.

No time/inclination now, even when at home, to play with brother or sister.

He has been having lots of sleep trouble. I have taken him for acupuncture, bought specific kids sleep meditation cds’s started giving him magnesium and then finally bought him a melatonin supplement spray. But these helpful aids are not helping the *cause* of why he can’t fall or stay asleep, the real reason is stress and anxiety. I feel like I have joined forces with the Suppress Symptom Industry (aka NHS). Now we are on holiday he is pretty much sleeping fine.

He seems to have a severe lack of self confidence. Newly installed. He doesn't feel he is good at much anymore. Compared to a mere couple of months ago when he saw himself on every page of the Guinness Book of World Records (every year, every issue, every event, there he was, winning, triumphant). I could do that! He’d say. Every five minutes.

Some shitty things happened to him in school which he only told me about later. Like the time he made papier-mâché pigs with some boy, went off and came back to find his smashed to bits and thrown in the bin. Because they were rubbish. He didn't even tell his teacher, because apparently he had told on someone earlier in the week and the other boys had not let him forget it. Horrible playground stuff too, being singled out, always ‘it’ even when he tags someone etc etc. The usual you’re-the-new-kid- so suffer routine. I remember it well.

Too much homework. The Man or I would say leave it, we’ll do it, or just don’t bother; we’ll speak to your teacher. And we did. And neither of us cared if it looked like an adult did it, because this is home time for fricks sake. The man stayed up late making replacement money box pigs (see above) and I filled in quizzes and painted acrylic on wood of a river for him. It was good, I hope he got a great mark, but really he didn’t care who did his homework, or even if he took any in until one day when he arrived home telling me he really *needed* to do his homework, because at school now they ‘named and shamed’ and the people who forget theirs had to stand up in assembly and be named. WTF? I kept him home that week to give him a break and let him sleep properly, for once. While I thought about it all.

I get the whole oh it takes a while but he’ll soon settle in bit from other adults; the ones with kids in school, or ones who’s kids went to school. Doesn’t seem to make anyone feel better though, that line. Suffer now, for some future good? Maybe. Maybe not though. Some kids don’t ‘settle’ in do they? Some are not left alone to settle in. What is it we want them to settle in to? To get used to the level of meanness so it doesn’t affect them? Get them used to doing boring, time wasting, and pointless activities? Until it becomes their norm? Yeah that sounds cool. Let’s pop out a load of adults from that friendly inspiring mold.

What I now realise I like about home education (in retrospect) was that yeah, sitting doing lessons never ever worked for us. It never ever, ever did! Phew, can I just say that? It made me the ogre and them the put-upon slaves of the workbook. The best way ever to home educate is just to do nothing. Seriously. Just leave them alone. That is it. You have to swallow your fear and anxiety and your own education and the whole popular mainstream thought about what a good education constitutes of, what you want for them even and you have to back the hell off. I see it all now! I see it with the perspective of standing back and having no Isaac at home. When you leave them alone, they are forced, forced to do stuff to amuse themselves. They claim their own selves intact from what they choose.

It takes, months, years maybe but then they find stuff that interests them (the whole while you are still doing your doing good stuff, like providing books, materials, outings, clubs etc) and in the end it’s from these self interests and passions that develop; eventually they discover the things they like doing best and they pursue them. And they get an education that way. It sounds so easy, and it is fabulously hard to allow to play out (for that is your only job in this arena; to help this happen).

Because we are told that as good (home educating) parents we have to be right there next to their elbow spoon feeding them maths an hour a day. But honestly, they just vomit it all back up. And the one it hits is you. The Mama Bear. Oh they might play along for a good few years, if they are biddable enough, if you have enough to bribe them with (or threaten like, I'll have to send you to school if you don't do this! Oh yeah, lots of home ed parents use that one, which is a bit twisted however you reason it out), in the end though they’ll stop. They will say no and then you will have to be the biggest ogre of all, not letting them play on their Xbox or whatever and then they will actually hate you. Maybe just for a second, but they will. Those seconds all add up. They do. Until when you reflect back, there are a whole bunch of them, adding up to a whole lot of time.

I just read that Caitlin Moran was home educated. When she or her siblings were asked if they had ‘lessons’ they all fall abut laughing. They played with Sindy, they watched TV, they invented magazines and competitions amongst themselves... then when they were in their teens they shaped what they liked into appropriate GCSE subjects, and then sat them. That was it. They got interested, when the time came and their motivation to leave home and do something was enough. That actually is more than the average teen in the UK today. If your kids even get that far they are bettering the stats. I hear this story a lot. It’s often coined ‘unschooling’. That is even has a name I wonder is probably so that there’s this whole ‘thing-you-are-doing’ as a home ed. parent. That you can claim this as your ‘approach’ (when other ‘methods’ fail? Or like me, now as a lifeboat?) .

I actually started out, with Isaac a newborn, John Holt by my bedside, that this was to be my ‘method’ from the start. I lie lots, and tell people that I just fell-into home schooling. That I had this bouncy little boy who didn’t seem like he would suit lots of indoor time (true anyway) and that I thought I’d hold off for a bit.. then shrug, smile.. Here’s where we are! Socially an easier an explanation than declaring you think school is a shit way to spend a day. And here’s where we are: You live, you learn. You love, you learn. You cry, you learn. (Pretend I didn’t just copy Alanis Morisette’s lyrics). Here’s where I am at anyway. I feel like I have fucked up a lot. Those times I *made* him sit and do workbooks. Those times I threatened him with not doing X or Y until he’d finished that page on Syllables. I did that! I really did. I am such a shit sometimes. What did it get me? Worse than school, really. Not often, but there were times... And here I am, with some pointless guilt. But perspective too, that’s my lifeboat.

You lose, you learn. He a funny sort of boy and he makes me laugh, I told him this and he said, yeah well I say the same stuff at school and no one there laughs. Well they do laugh at me... but in a different way. Yeah. I know what he means. Little shit heads. The Man is as anxious as I am about Isaac’s unhappy, constant anxiety and inability to laugh and play like he used to, he’s just withdrawn and tired looking. Walking down the stairs at 11pm, crying that he can’t sleep. Being on holiday makes me see the contrast to what he was.

I always thought, at its best, home educating was like a constant summer holiday, with UK weather changes. Mostly it really was. There was a always a lying in, eating pancakes feel to our days with huge gladiatorial battle scenes set up with playmobil men to carefully navigate your life around. Trips out, friend visits, sport clubs... But there were always times when Isaac would be bored. And that was when I panicked. I imagined this meant he needed more ‘educational stimulation’ that I was able/willing to provide by ‘doing nothing’. After all he didn’t seem to know how to spell, didn’t know his times tables. Bring on the workbooks. Which he royally resisted. And now school. He knows now. The times tables, the spelling. But so what? Any fool can learn those things. Any fool. More fool me. He is the kindest most patient person that I have ever ever met. You cry; you learn.

He wants to go back in September. Wants to. You scream; you learn. Not sure of this is a reflection on me (the workbooks) and home or if he is just the incredible hopeful person he has always been. I said this time we'd do no workbooks, he could go to the home ed science and English lessons, do his after school stuff... his dad could do the maths bits he likes.

Wear it out, melt it down.

Will he be intact, whole if he does go back?

I keep wondering how long it will take for it to crush him.

I wonder if it’s my time to step in and say well you are not going back. Like I stepped in and told him to sit and get work-booking. I have the ability to tell him to do things. You bleed; you learn. And might he hate me again, for just a second if I do? Do kids hate you any which way, anyway? My friend said she wished to raise a child who didn’t need to get over their childhood. Swallow it down, the jagged little pill.

I am the bearer of unconditional things.

I recommend biting off more than you can chew, to anyone. Because here I am, here we are. On another threshold. And we will survive and I will make sure that we are intact. I will lash us boat-less, and keep floating. It’s what mothers do. Even when they don’t know what it is they should do. They get on and do it.

You love; you learn.

16 comments:

Valerie said...

Oh geez don't. Oscar is only 2 1/2 and I am dreading it already, from the patronising self righteous teachers to the cruel bullying 'it' children, right through to the CONSTANT rounds of de-lousing. My oldest son was a 'popular' sporty boy and sailed through school with no problems. My second child has/had learning difficulties and we had nothing but problems. The final straw being the learning support department arranging for her to leave school to go on a 'special' college course, WITHOUT my knowledge. We sent them to the (reportedly) best schools in our city, the mind boggles as to what the worst would be like.
I am wishing you luck in finding the strength to do the right thing (either way), its such a touchy subject, education.
V
xxx

Lucy said...

Thank you for such a raw honest post. If I can be honest, if Isaac was my boy, experiencing what he is at school and feeling so anxious and stressed even at home, I would say I am the mummy and I have decided you will be home Ed, and if you want to try school again next year we can think about it then. But anyway I know how tough all these issues are and I hope you all come to a more peaceful place soon.

Vanessa said...

I can hear your pain mama. Sending big hugs your way xx

Dotty Delightful said...

sending you positivity and smiles, it's hard isn't it being a mum, having to do whats best and then your children think opposite, I think for what its worth, if its possible for you to wait until near the end of summer holidays whe he is more relaxed etc explaining how much nicer it has been having him home and maybe if he really wants to when he is a bit older he could try school again, I agree with Lucy about saying Im the mummy etc, good luck though in your choice x

globeonmytable said...

I'm reading.

The 5 outcomes might worth looking at. They include health, which I decided was mental, emotional and physical.

They are meant to support school attendance, but in our case they supported the reverse!

xx

Claire said...

Globe -thanks, just checked those out, didn't know of these specific government 'targets'. I don't see that school meets those needs of my child! In fact reading through all 5 I'd say the only bit he *likes* are the lessons, but when he talks about the things he has learnt, it's all jumbled and nonsense. One day he came home saying they'd made electric circuits, oh cool I thought, then he went on to say that he learned that the longer the wire connecting the battery to the bulb means the bulb doesn't work. I know about resistance etc, but he didn't get at all the point. Just came away thinking you had to have your power source super close to the bulb...... I asked him how he thought this would work with electric wiring in a home and he didn't know since the wires would have to be 'too long'. School starts stuff.... then just doesn't/can't possibly answer the questions a child has that they may ask on their own if you were one on one. So lots of stuff is pretty much nonsense. This is something I remember SO WELL from school days and compounded by the fact that it's uncool to be interested and actually ask questions.
Thanks for info, good to see that only the very basics are interested in being met by government. x

emma said...

Claire - if he likes the lessons, then how about home tutoring? Like, setting up for whichever tutors he'd like to come and work with him for an hour a day? Or you could offer it on your local HE list so that there's a little gang of 4 or 5 of them sometimes?

There have to be better ways of getting a) the social bit and b) the lessons bit.

Maybe get Isaac's thinking cap onto the social bit? Because you are gloriously a quiet home body, really, aren't you? So you probably _aren't_ offering him enough of the hare-around-with-other-children social interaction, because that would be too much for you and the younger ones. So clubs clubs clubs? More of them than you can bear, almost?

Find other families to hang out with A Lot? We've got one family we see absolutely every week at the moment, and everyone is thriving on it. You could always arrange with the mama that one of you is on child duty and the other is sitting quietly in a corner reading a book.

Natasha said...

My heart breaks for the little guy - he must be a strong soul to withstand it all and want to go back for more (why?). We considered HE for our daughter but had a lovely preschool experience with a Montessori program and are going to continue with that (with fingers crossed) when she starts primary school next year. I'm not sure, but it seems like you've plunked Isaac into the public (ie: fee-free, government-funded)system which, in most instances, is underfunded, overcrowded etc... and more vulnerable to bullying, apathetic teaching and so on. Why do HE parents seem to think it's got to be either HE or the crummiest, roughest, dodgy local school? Why not compare apples with apples (so to speak) and find the kid a small, independent, alternative school where kids are treated with compasssion, decency and respect and are taught by staff with high professional standards. I don't mean to be judgemental but it seems like you've chucked the kid in the deep end and are now shocked with what he's enduring. Find another school that suits him better and give him a fair chance to decide if HE or the school system is right for him. He sounds like an amazing person and he deserves better! Good luck - not all schools are horrible (but many are). Try again.

Dawn said...

It doesn't sound the right place for him, some schools just aren't good educational places, and some children just aren't suited to the environment. Not sure I'd like a school that had things like that going on - naming and shaming over homework! Big No!
Hope you manage to work out what's best, are there other schools to try? Would he be more open to home ed again with more structure if it's lessons he likes - maybe an outside tutor of money allows?

Take care, hope you can all work it out. Education is one of those things where not one option fits all, I'm thankful of a good child led learning environment in my dd's school, a proactive school - if only they could all be like that, but even then they aren't for every child.

Dawn x

Claire said...

Natasha - it's hardly 'the deep end' as you say. It's a tiny village school with 60 kids from age 3-11. It is not overcrowded (!) or underfunded (in fact it is one of the only schools left in the UK with funding for Forest School access). We looked at the local Steiner school and for various reasons (mainly the waiting list that is about 5 yrs long for his age group), he has also tried another slightly bigger village school (but not by much) which gets excellent reports etc, has a veggie garden, chickens, lots of trips etc and it was a similar experience there too. The Steiner is also a long drive. The Montessori is about an hour away. I have not as you say 'plunked' him in any old place and am surprised to find it all unacceptable. It's his second 'good' school, and it is unacceptable. If my post comes over as being home ed vs. school, then yes, that is exactly what it is! Because that's our experience. This whole area is very middle class, I am the only parent who doesn't have a four wheel drive. It's not a dodgy area, it's a regular village school with lots of friendly teachers. It's not inner city hell with 2,000 kids, each year group with their own playground and 30 kids per class.

I am always glad to hear about kids who love school and thrive, that's fabulous. But when kids don't I'd much rather the 'fault' or incompatibility lay mainly with the school than the child, yk.

He did 'try again' this was his trying again after we looked for a long time for a 'better' school than last time. Not sure why trying again would be so great? Why? What is he getting out of these experiences? The fact is he probablywill go back, and I shall speak to his teacher and watch him closely - because he wants to, because he is hopeful of the other boys accepting him (that is the real issue - not the school size or pupil/teacher ratio).

Clarifying, here, that is all.

Claire said...

I also do not for one minute feel fee paying schools foster LESS bulling. Both my dh and I went to private schools at various points in our education and both found this not the case at all.

My dh who went to a top private Hampshire school said it had the worst teachers he ever experienced. Because they didn't need to be state regulated in any way, didn't have 'teacher training' etc, fee paying schools don't need too!

The local fee paying school here is £6,000 per term. Not something we can afford right now. Nor even sure if we'd go that way if we could.....

Emma said...

Claire, I think that you are doing a fabulous job in honouring your son's choices. I am a home educator and feel that it is a far from ideal situation as far as meeting my son's needs for interaction with other children is concerned. I truly empathise with this deeply challenging situation.
The huge difference between your son's predicament and that of so many other children who are unhappy at school, is that he knows he has a choice. You are holding a space for him at home, should he decide that life at school is all too much. What a gift for him, to have such conscious parents. You do know how rare that is, don't you?!!
Of course, it is so hard for us, as parents, to witness our children's pain. I think that you ought to feel very proud of yourself and of your brave, determined boy.

Jess said...

Claire, my son does go to school (this is not a choice as such for us - financially there is not the option for one of us to be at home to HE....YET but I am working on it big time!)
So, for what it's worth, I just wanted to say that in our experience, it is really worth it to keep running EVERY problem and difficulty by the teacher.
I am sure this would be your instinct anyway and hope I don't seem to be stating the bleedin' obvious here.
But it's just hard won experience for us over the last few years and I thought it may stiffen your resolve to hear it from someone who has been there.
LOTS of work can be done towards making the other boys accept Isaac more. No, the playground can't be micro managed but LOTS of good relationship building stuff can be fostered in the classroom, if the teacher has the will.
EVERY time Isaac is worried, upset at home, or conflict arises due to school stuff, get a meeting.
YOU can sort it for Isaac because you are not there. Constantly put it back where it belongs; the teacher needs to sort it, it is their job.
In our experience, even if they put you down as the over involved/anxious parent, the teacher will still deal with issues.
Sorry if this is all old news to you. Just felt for you and wanted to see if our experience was of any use. All good wishes to you all xxx

Jess said...

oops, must preview. Meant to say you CANT sort it for Isaac because you are not there....meh

Taking Time said...

Hi Claire!
off topic but I can't find your contact email:-)

am wondering if you would like to guest blog on Taking Time in September? the theme is 'Love'

email me and I'll go through it better!

Starr
xx

Taking Time said...

sorry...email is: starrmeneely@gmail.com

;-)