Tuesday, November 24, 2009

that school experiment



Turned out to be pretty shitty. Isaac had SUCH high hopes. He really did. I mean what home ed. child has not driven past a bouncy playground in full sun and not wanted to pop in for a play? Sometimes school does look enticing in that regard, especially if one is a particularly social child. Isaac is one of those. He chats to everyone, requires after their well being and recent activities, is polite and friendly and everyone oohhs and ahhhs over his good nature. Even I am astonished sometimes. He can't possibly get this from me, I am as surly as the day is long sometimes, I can be anxious in company and chat in overdrive, not much confident in myself... so it's a pleasant mystery and I try my best to model myself on him :) Even his casual swagger is appealing (but precisely because he has no awareness of self I think).



Anyway, back to point. His eagerness and willingness and openness immediately made him a target for ridicule in school. Naturally, painfully so. It was pretty shocking for him. But his bouncy and optimistic spirit confidently repeated that he wanted to keep going, that it would soon be different. Only it wasn't, not really. There was a general air of meanness abound in the dailyness of school life that I could tell confounded him and which he wasn't able to articulate his discomfort at to me fully. But he was unhappy about it.



Examples? Far too many.... A few: pushing, shoving and hurting for fun, erasing his work when he asked for help, being made to crawl and pick up pencils for others, playing in the sand pit and having someone smash his game up just because, missing him out in a game of ball over and over just because they could see he wanted to play, pushing him over everyday and pretending (while snickering) that it was an accident, not letting him take part in group work..... I could go on and one but won't. You can get the gist. His teacher was a fake smiley- nicey nice person who brushed and glossed over everything and just smiled my questions away and never intervened on Isaac's part despite his discomfort. Many times. So much mouth play and words about not tolerating bullying but finding that it was all just talk, actually. So many hours spent in over heated classrooms with synthetic fibred uniforms (ok, so he had organic underclothes and cotton trousers but his sweater was school regulation polyester) made him tell me he felt uncomfortable and bored and hot. He was tested but because his hand cannot yet transform his thoughts at school-spreed/neatness he was streamed into low groups and thus bored to tears. Literally. The testing failed him big time and made him frustrated. At home he was tired, grumpy, fought with his brother and was mean to us all. We all squabbled in the mornings, I shouted, I rushed I hustled everyone in and out of the car and house at breakneck speed to make it to the school on time every morning then spent the next few hours winding down. Frazzled, really. We had no time (or energy) for formerly enjoyed evening things - chess club, Beavers, Cubs, friends.... I couldn't take Felix to home ed. meet ups because I had to be available every day at 3.15pm. Every night was a rush to get food made, meal time over with, see dh quick quick, PJ's, bed because we didn't want to be tired again the next day. Then it would start, wearily, all over again.

Anyone fancy it?

Secretly I think I'd always wondered if he really might be missing out on something by not being at school (a stimulating engaging education, wonderfuly friends, great social experiences...). Now I know he's not.

Give me Home Educating ANYDAY. Any frickin day. Headaches, arguments, nagging, mess and late nights. Any day. Because there is a beauty to being at home that if you have not done it simply can't appreciate. A timeless aspect that once immersed is hard to articulate to others. An eating because it's hunger (not a bell), playing until the game drifts off into something else (not because it's a labelled slot of 'play'), crafting and art because it's an exciting in the moment passion that has to be played out. A walk because the leaves are whipping up in a frenzy and it looks so enticing. A float down the stream on a pallet of wood because the water is high and it looks so inviting. Making a cake, just because you fancy one. Writing a postcard to a loved one and posting it because you love them. Counting your pennies, getting excited and buying crazily priced foolish football cards (hey, that's just my opinion), and dong so with joy and because your money was earned and thus valued (caring for the chooks). Ten Pin bowling at discount price during the day with friends, swimming with your dad in the local pool on a quiet evening..... lying on the floor in front of the fire and doing nothing, thinking, dreaming and staring at the flames. Having TIME. We all have time this way. To be ourselves. To do what we like with our lives and be who we want to be without needing to 'harden up' because life's tough, we better get used to it now in the playground, bullying's every where. Well I don't believe that. And I don't believe we get to be stronger, kinder people by being ridiculed and put down and belittled and bored out of our minds, day after day. How does a person learn kindness, compassion, love, friendship if he doesn't experience it? Will he ever cope 'in the real world' if he isn't exposed to horror now, isn't toughened up, hardened, deadened to this? Won't it be so much harder for him 'out there' later if I don't force him to put up with school now?





Is this how human nature must be formed? The hard-knock-life theory doesn't sit well with me. It grates and constrains and makes me feel angry. Love breeds love. That's all there is to it. Kindness breeds kindness. Shall we all learn to be mean, or turn a blind eye to meanness because then we can get by in life, not be hurt? Not let ourselves be hurt because we'll be so busy hurting others. I read this article about a man being beaten and attacked in London in daylight and people just walked by. They just walked by, it was on CCTV. People looked, but no one helped. Does anyone remember that sick feeling at school - you see someone being bullied but you sort of turn away inside, seal yourself off because if you pipe up then the fear is it'll turn on you. So we walk on by. We learn to walk on by. Early on we learn not to draw attention to ourselves. Survival at such an unhappy personal cost. Or what about that story about the person bleeding on the sidewalk and all those people standing around, shocked, anxious, worried. No one called an ambulance because everyone assumed someone else was. And that person dies right there overlooked by so many. Am I being ridiculous here? Is it just me seeing this sick way of looking at human nature and not finding much good about learning to conform and fit in? Because I don't. It's taken me nearly 30 years to know now that I don't want to perpetuate this way of being. The only way I can start a reversal is by living a different life. By living a different sort of life with my family, by us all choosing to do things differently. A friend once said when someone remarked that her daughter looked like the one wearing the trousers in her family that they were an autonomous collective. That little phrase stuck with me these long years. I must let my children make their choices - such as Isaac wanting to try out school, but I must also remember that we operate as a family, as a collective. His decision to school, was one that schooled us all. It changed all of our lives.



Now we are re shaping it again to something new, something that won't be as before, something we can carry on from and learn by as we live. No choice is forever, we can all be as supple as the willow branch in the wind (remembering too that trees need firm root structures if they are able to grow and move). Living this way we are allowed to be as supple as the willow branch in the wind. That's the point.


19 comments:

Carolyn said...

Brilliantly put, Claire. We had our own school experiment last Easter time and it was a failure in much the same way as Isaacs. I wish I had been able to express it all in the same way you have. Perhaps it wouldn't have felt such a waste of time and energy for all concerned.
Good to hear you are all back home together again and HAPPY!!

arwen_tiw said...

Oh Isaac! My heart goes out to him. Glad the experiment had something positive to give everyone. xx

Joxy34 said...

:-( Oh bless Isaac, what a shame he was so disappointed.

Mmm,nice not to be constricted by a school day tho, eh :-)

Anonymous said...

I have so much to say about this Claire, this post really moved me.

My girls go to school because right now as a single mama I don't have any other choice. Sometimes I think it's funny that so many of my blog friends are homeschoolers and if I somehow financially managed to make it work or found a partner I would do it in a heartbeat.

I totally get what you are saying. My children are being raised to be kind, to recognize the benefits of diversity, to honor each other, so it was a HUGE SHOCK when we were in Kindergarten at age 5 and Boo came home talking about bullies and kids standing on the side of the building calling others "losers". Poor Boo, she hasn't had too much of a problem (she's a charmer) but she feels the need to protect and defend all the other kids.

I understand fully, the boredom, the obnoxious structure and repetition, the rush to get there and back, the lack of free time.

I'm glad that you gave Isaac this opportunity, to make this choice and explore it and even more so to recognize that it wasn't working.

I also agree with you about the apathy in this world and the basic negativity I see everywhere. I'm a realist enough to know we're not all going to agree or get along, but cannot we just instill common decency and respect.

Uggh, I've written a book, but I just really appreciated your words this morning.

Claire said...

I so wish Isaac could be with my son Alec. They seem so similar. He is a very fortunate boy to have a mama that is able to give him exactly what he needs when he needs it. Well done to you all.

Lucy said...

Such a lovely post. I wish Mr Badman could read it - but even if he read it, he wouldn't understand it. Such a limited little mind he has, unlike your lovely boy.

Unknown said...

Thank you sooooo much for that post Claire.

Anonymous said...

You sum up the whole school experience so well Claire!

Our school bangs on about it's anti-bullying policies and it's playground "buddy" system constantly so that you get brainwashed into thinking your kids are in good hands. When I met with the Head about our HE plans the other day he pretty much said that it would be a shame for the kids to miss out on character building "peer friction"! WTF? So presumably for him bullying is the physical stuff. What about Daisy being constantly pushed out of her old group of friends by a bossy new girl just because she objects to the way she has come in and made her self leader in a group that previously had no leader because they didn't need one! In my world, having your hat yanked off your head and chucked across the playground is bullying too, as is being told who you can and can't play with.

Anonymous said...

Doh I'm a numpty! I hadn't finished writing my comment and clicked publish instead of preview!

What I was also going to say was this:
I met up with some HE families today and they talked of that "general air of meanness" that you mention. It's so true though, that's the sad bit. Even the teachers can be mean. Daisy told me today that her teacher tells them if she thinks their artwork is rubbish and makes them start again. Can you believe that?!
Their creative time at school is squished right into the corner to make room for all the soddin' numeracy work and then the teacher rips it to shreds (metaphorically of course - I hope to god she doesn't literally rip it up!) and makes them feel useless.

I'm so sorry Isaac had a crap time. He doesn't deserve that poor kid.

Enjoy your fresh start! I'm looking forward to mine ;)

Love as always xxx

Claire said...

In the whole half term he was there he didn't do art even once! This is primary school! Welsh lessons twice a week - I mean Welsh - what a dead language - but no art work. He was allowed to draw once but was told what to draw - a house they had visisted on a school trip. Very creative.... I mean I am not all arty to the exclusion of sciences but come on, no paiting? No clay? No wet, messy, anything, no crayons or drawing even? No collage? Just weird.

I am gald we are not alone in our experiences.... but it's sad too that all of this so so common place.

Pippa said...

Oh Claire, that post is hearbreaking, put a lump in my throat. I was bullied all the way through school, nothing serious (ie physical), but daily taunts, exclusion etc. And I can also still remember witnessing other girl's being tormented, feeling powerless to save them and feeling desperately guilty to witness their embarrassment and pain in front of so many. It didn't toughen me up. It made me shake and feel sick and made my skin go flaky and my stomach hurt. What the hell does school prepare you for and should we prepare children for a that kind of life anyway like it was somehow inevitable and acceptable?

But he's a lucky boy, to have a mum that gave him the chance when he wanted to go (I'm not sure I'd be as brave, my own school-day traumas are still too raw to see played out on my own babies) and a chance to start again. School didn't toughen me up even though it tried very hard to show me every unpleasant human characteristic under the sun. Your little lad is very brave and special, though I doubt you need me to tell you that! Best of wishes to all of you for this new start! xxxx

anissa ljanta said...

so important to share these hard knock learning timesthank you for offering your experiences for us all, feeling for Isaac in the aftermath and loving the way you write, feels right there.

Taking Time said...

Thank you for this post, beautifully put...

Earthenwitch said...

I'm so sorry to hear that Isaac's experience was so crap - poor him, and while I bet it's lovely to have him back with you full-time, it must have been horrid having to see his hopes so utterly decimated.

Quite agree that this shouldn't be how human nature is formed, and yay! for alternatives which aren't predicated on toughening-up and general low-key brutalisation.

Laura said...

Oh Claire, your post has brought real tears to my eyes. Isn't it sad that i am not at all suprised by his experience. Yet still very saddened to hear of it. So glad he is now back with you all and you can move forward together. I feel very moved by this and even more strengthened in my belief in autonomous learning. Thank you so much to you and Isaac for sharing. xx

Priscilla said...

What a beautifull children you have! And what a great boy, look at him leauhing in one of the photo's! How sad it didn't work out the way he thought. What a mean kids and that school doesn't sound appealing either. I'm glad all of you are happy with the unschooling!

Naomi said...

Oh poor Isaac, it just shouldn't be that way but I don't think it matters where you send your children to school, there is an air of meanness, even in my rural schooling experiences it happened, not as much as my big town schooling experiences but it still happened. Kids, in fact people in general can be so mean.

All credit to you for letting Isaac try it out and see it wasn't for him and I hope your new journey heals Isaac's hurt feelings.

Naomi xxx

alison said...

Brave Claire and brave Isaac. I hope his deschooling doesn't take long. All the best.

Julie said...

OH Claire this post broke my heart, I feel so very sad that your beautiful boy was treated this way. I wish that he could have spent a week in Kalem's class, his teacher is amazing and caring and kind and his class mates both girls and boys all get on really well. This year has been a good year but I know too well that a new year with a different teacher could change everything in a heartbeat, I plan on keeping my eyes wide, wide open. I admire you so much sweet Claire I have said it before and I say it again, you are an AMAZING mother and a true inspiration to us all homeschoolers and those who for various reasons have chosen a different path. Your words and wisdom speak to us all. Much love and blessings to you and your gorgeous family, Julie xXXXx