
Oh well! I am feeling great, really vibrant and healthy and full of beans. Not literally, I don't much eat legumes... but anyway what I came to post about were my crackers! Seriously I made crackers, and it sounds so laborious and tricky and time consuming and fiddly, just saying it, like you need to be a gourmet chef. BUT NO! For anyone even a tiny bit lazy these are the crackers for you.
Raw onion and flax seed crackers
I have been lusting over and treating myself to these for a while now. But my wallet is shrinking, withering up and flying away on a puff of air at the astronomical cost of the tiny stamp-sized bites. My dh's eyes roll in his head (although sweet man his mouth stays closed) and I can see him greying around the temples at my extravagance. So it was time to make my own. I've been meaning to for ages (with an enormous sigh at the imagined labour involved) but this is what I did:
Chopped an onion and threw it in the magimix, poured in some flax seed (golden linseed) a handful of pumpkin seeds, a pinch of pink Himalayan salt and then whizzzzzzzzz. After minute it was a creamy pourable eye watering mush. I spread this as thin as I could without being able to see the greaseproof paper on a lined baking sheet. I put this in the bottom oven of my AGA with the door ajar. The bottom over is essentially a plate warmer so you can guess the temperature is low, with the door cracked open a bit these took maybe 12-16 hours to dry our to a lovely crunch crispy cracker. So I slept. Gourmet chef that I am. And that was it, they would have stayed in the lovely cracker shapes I cut them into after the first couple of hours but I didn't OIL the paper, NOTE TO SELF: do that next time. It will save many minutes peeling tiny scraps of paper from the backs of yummy crackers.

They are so yummy. Nicer than the ones I have been buying. Cheesy flavoured even, Isaac thought they had garlic in and asked what spices I used..... none! They are that yummy.
I am shiny eyes with the possibility again of crunchy food. After six months I miss a crunch. Yahhoooo. It's crunch time.
2 comments:
I must try these. I had several times tried to make crackers. To my dismay I haven't liked any of the ones i made. do you think they will be nice in a dehydrator?
Oh yes! I just don't have one, but that would be perfect!
Post a Comment