Sunday, December 04, 2011

feel free to eye roll



There is clearly something really wrong with me. Really. What sort of person declares never to do something and then goes right ahead and does it all over again? Well, I do (actually I think I have said I will never eat chocolate again about five hundred times and gone ahead and eaten it, clearly a ridiculous thing to promise one's self anyway).

But the cardigan thing, well I just don't know seriously why I had to knit another. It went something along the lines of my scrabbling through my big tub of woolly-yarns and realising that I had about fifty of so half or quarter balls and not enough of any one thing to use. So I thought I'd make a big old scrap rainbow yarn cardigan for The Beauty, with long sleeves. Then I sat and began to knit, I don't even need to look at the pattern for this cardigan any longer, it's etched on my brain. I can't even say it will be my final-FINAL one, because my words clearly have lost all purpose and meaning. So there we have it, Coffee Bean Number Five. Or is it Six? Lost count.





I totally am in love with dove grey wool for tiny people, especially babies. It's just so soft and gentle looking. And not obvious the way blue or pink can be. I feel like I will be knitting lots more from the monochrome spectrum. Not because I have to knit for babies, just because the colour is really pleasing, just in case you were wondering.





This is so not a harmonious cardigan. It just isn't, but then neither is the girl wearing it. The buttons are all mismatched scrap ones too, because that's what I had on hand, I didn't have enough of any one to use, just like the yarn. It feels quite good though, to fashion a garment from things on hand, rather than go out an buy more with a specific idea in mind. The continuous colour changes kept me busy. I had a grand total of 110 ends to sew in. Two for every colour, every two rows of knitting. I counted. It was that sort of weird project.



Speaking of 'fashioning' things I have a little article out in the current issue of The Green Parent Magazine, in the Ethical Fashion section. Which sort of makes me laugh a bit, since fashion and I long since parted ways. But there you go, life can be quite amusing.





Other people in the house this week made other things. Letters were drafted to Father Christmas, the boys were essentially lists. Nice. But Esmé's was a long long chit-chat and extreame weather conditions and implications of featured highly; she hoped it wouldn't rain on his long journey, or be windy, she would leave a little treat on the doorstep (so as not to get wet), did he too hope for no rain? Or wind, because it might be tricky to ride in rain or wind. She plans on getting up very very early but not so early that he would still be there. I had to dictate and did so exactly. Because it was really a very good letter. Then she said, right at the end, an afterthought, oh and don't forget to bring me a pink scooter and a dolly! Right on girl.





I love the little details in Felix's drawings, as usual he is my hero when it comes to drawing, I admire him greatly.







We made a princess bed with our trusty glue gun and some pom-poms. From a shoe box. There are some good box ideas here. I am a bit in love with the whole kitchen set, and would make it all except that we have a pretty nice wood kitchen I bought for Isaac when he was 2 and really into play-kitchens. That kitchen has had so much use, even bigger kids over the years come in and play with it. Boys as much as girls, maybe more so. A little boy cousin played with ours so much his parents (reluctantly I think) bought him one too. In blue. Of course. It didn't matter to Esmé that she has two fancy basket dolly beds, she likes this one a whole lot.

7 comments:

Big mamma frog said...

Lovely cardigan!

I'm well-known in this house for always knitting stripey things. I'm terrified of running out of the right colour wool part-way through a project, so everything is striped.

It didn't take me long to learn to weave in the multicoloured wool ends as I knitted...I hate sewing ends in and don't envy you all those!

Sandra Ann said...

No eye rolling just a smile! Love the cardi totally fab

hugs san x

The Yarn Owl said...

Lovely cardi, I could not deal with that many ends, I have fallen in love with that self patterning yarn for stripy things because I am too lazy when it comes to sewing!

greener grass said...

love the cardi! can you knit one for my little beauty? x

Lori ann said...

love your little cardi, all the photos are so cute. you are too modest, i think you have fabulous fashion (in your photos you look like a model)

love the dear santa letters, your son is a talent. and i love soft grey on babies too.

Claire said...

Lori ann - I know, I LOVE you tiny baby sweater in grey with the felt stitched on - it was what sparked me off :)

Komodopix said...

I enjoyed reading yyour post