Sunday, December 18, 2011

laid bare



I was going to write a post just now about our pre-Christmas goings on. About getting the tree and Christmas crafting and the sewing I have been excited to complete. Then.

Then in the dark and freeze of this here night there was a loud loud knock at the window. I get startled out of my skin in the daytime when I hear someone at the door, because out here, it's so irregular. Only the postman, unannounced, comes here. There are no street-lights. No pavement, no paths even. When it's dark, it's truly dark and you are lucky to see your hand in front of your face.

Outside in the cold was a girl, crying and mud streaked and hunched over. My first thought was that there had been a car accident somewhere along the road and she had come for help. The Man rushed out but she backed off still crying. So I took off past him and put my arms around her and held her and said it would be OK. She was freezing and wouldn't come in. I shouted to fetch my coat, to fetch a pen, paper and the phone. She told me her name. That was it. For the next hour (which felt like about four), stinking of drink and somehting else (do drugs smell?) she babbled, she swore, she screamed, she punched the wall, she eventually lay on my sofa where I saw she had a huge bloody hole through her jeans. She said one minute she had been riding a motor bike and had come off, the next that she had been attacked. She told me about four different addresses. She said she lived with her mum, then said her mum was in Portugal, that she had a job, that she was alone all day in her flat without a job... she said any number of random things, contradicting everything. She said she lived in a care home. I thought she looked about 16. It turned out she was 19. One number which I tried and tried but no answer. I called the police and they took her away.

I sat on the hall floor and cried and cried after they took her. She cried and cried as they led her out. The night swallowed them and all that was left was dirt on my floor and sofa. A cup of spilled tea. She slurred that I was the nicest person she had ever met. The police didn't seem kind to her, I felt such guilt. My babies sat on the stairs and heard her rant and swear and scream and punch my wall. I am still crying. I don't know her, will never see her again. She will forever be this mystery. And there is now this huge hole. This void. And I feel so vulnerable. I feel weirdly violated. Shocked out of my circle of living. My life, forgotten in this intense hour of someone else's strange and violent life. She was so pretty. She cried and cried and cried. She talked nonsense. She didn't know if it was night or morning.

I can't make sense of anything tonight so I will go to bed.

I can't post my photos now. They seem to have lost all meaning and point. Some how I feel so changed and strange. The Man keeps hugging me telling me how well I did but I feel I didn't, that I let her down in some way. And I was shit-scared of her too. I kept my arm around her and asked her questions, made her tell me any old thing she wanted, while I waited and waited for the police, sneaking my eye to the clock on the wall every minute that passed by and they still didn't show up(as is usual of delivery people and such, no one can find us from our postcode on any Sat Nav device). I wanted to let her take a bath and sleep. Clean her leg up. Find out later her real story. But she was so unexpected and unrestrained I just couldn't. Not with my three little ones, here with me, waiting for their lives to re-assemble into a shape they could recognise.

The world is a strange place. And tonight was one of the strangest I have had in a long while. I hope some meaning tumbles from it to help me slot back into my place in the world.

10 comments:

kat @ slugs said...

how unbelievably unsettling. I am glad you are ok and I hope that she will be.

Karen said...

You did the best you could...you put her into hands that can decode the mystery of who she is and keep her from hurting herself. It does shake up the very protective world you have created for yourself and family...but you stepped outside the box, took in a total and disheveled stranger and showed true humanity and caring. Your children will remember their mama's extreme kindness to a needy stranger. You are a Christmas angel! Go back to your wonderful life, the love you all share and know you were a brave soul, doing a wonderful thing!!!!

Lou said...

Oh darling , you did what felt right at the time. It must have been strange and worrying but you were there for her and have made a difference. i hope you feel a little more settled now and that you can embrace your family and feel some peace xx
Lou

Uma said...

You showed someone who was very frightened love. You were a becon of light to her, no matter what she will remember that, and your kindness.

Much love to you, as that sounds both frightening, unsettling and disturbing-in the sense that you don't know her story. But you truly did give her something.

Uma x

Rose said...

You will have been her light in a very dark night. Utmost respect to you for doing what you did and you are right with small ones looking on and listening in you did all you protected them too by letting the police take over. Brave and wonderful Mama. Some meaning will come from this in time, maybe not today, tomorrow, next week or even this year but it will one day. It was somehow meant to happen.

Much love and gentle winter blessings to you and yours x x x

Pippa said...

Totally agree with the others. You weren't prepared for any of this and yet you showed compassion and kindness and a lot of bravery too. As Karen above said, although the police didn't seem kind enough, they are the only ones who have the facilities to unravel her story and find her appropriate help. They will begin the process of after-care, but you gave her a taste of humanity and if she remembers anything of that night, she will also remember the that the world DOES have kind and gentle people in it and that she met one of them.

I hope the police contact you and let you know a few details to fill in the blanks. I think it will help you to slot things into their proper place and make the night seem not so random and unexplained.

In the meantime, hold your children close and feel very proud. That strange, broken stranger is somebody's little girl and thank God you were the arms she fell into last night. Rest and be gentle to yourself and it will all become clear.

Lots of love to you Claire xxxxxxxx

The Yarn Owl said...

So many wise comments, people saying what I would like to say but in much better words! Hug your children and try to find some peace knowing you did the best you could to help someone elses girl
xx

Sandra Ann said...

Claire you did a brilliant job under very unexpected and distressing circumstances.

You took courage in both hands and supported a stranger in need and your loving concern will remain as a comfort for her in the days/weeks to come.

I'm hoping that you can find peace during these next few days. be of good courage all will be well.

Hugs San xx

Lori ann said...

i hope your feeling better sweet claire. i love what everyone has said here, some very loving and compassionate words. i hope you take them into your heart and are able to let them comfort you.
i would have done (and felt) the same as you, but please rest in the knowing you did the best you could. and maybe, no, surely, your generous and kind spirit will stay with her, helping her on her way.

please hug yourself and believe your man, he's right.
xox

Claire said...

thank you, wow, have never seen or read so many nice comments as this. I feel much better about the whole thing, thank you.