Tuesday, March 20, 2012

just knit (and knit)



This post has taken me a week to write in hasty snippets of time and now it's all feeling topsy turvy and out of sync. One thing continuous at least is that I have been doing much knitting and am eager to show it. Two (which after yesterdays marathon journey to Legoland became three) Milo vests and a couple of strange cardigans, one so small I think if this baby is over 8lbs it won't even fit. I also whipped up a super quick pair of newborn soakers which look HUGE to me, perhaps I can fold them over. I have never cabled before, ever, and after the first cable pattern repeat in the Milo, I was all why? Why did I wait so long to cable? It's interesting, and makes me knit quicker to see how the pattern will turn out. Which was why I knit three straight up, and still I sort of want to make another to keep trying out the multitude of cable options given. I am dreaming happy cable dreams where everything could have a cable strip incorporated.....





Esmé is sitting here asking me if she can go on holiday 'around the universe, up a tree and then over the rainbow so she can get to the Land of Oz?' And can she get over the rainbow in a helicopter or a normal car? It is very important for me to give the right answers to these sorts of questions. And she is often telling me '*THIS* is *VERY* important!' and it is something like glueing a scrap of paper at exactly the right angle to another scrap or paper, 'writing' all over it. And then likly never wanting it again unless I throw it away. Both Isaac and Esmé are at the table with me making birthday cards for Felix while I type this. Isaac just dropped his pencil 'what the bloody hell are you doing Isaac?' She asks him while adjusting her hair-band and holding her own pencil poised just so, annoyed and the noisy interuption to her train of thought. It's much easier to laugh than cry, although doubt I am setting a very good example (again) since obviously she is copy-catting and probably I should duck when the finger is pointed at the original cusser.





We have watched Return to Oz twice this week (um, now, last week). I think it is really scary actually, very gothic and dark with a David Bowie 80's feel. Esmé loves the Wheelers and I had to go and research who the actress Dorothy was as she seemed very familiar. And yes It was Fairuza Balk, from the Craft, and probably other things. I was in love with this film as a child (along with The Worst Witch) and it was interesting to watch it as an adult. Better than I remembered and also, did I already say, scarier?









I took a lovely long lonesome walk again up the hill here in total fog, I could not see but 20 feet either side of me. But the birds were singing and the lambs were bleating far below. Tiny dustings of green along the branches. It was so damp and earthy and GREEN smelling. I often wonder at taking a yoga class in these couple of free hours a week, but nothing really would relax me as much as these alone hill/woodland walks on my own with the dog. They are so reviving.



I am going to delay birthday posts until Isaac has his too then I can do a big multi layer cake post for all three. I am always overwhlemed in birthdays at this time of year when my kids have theirs all two weeks apart(obviously No planning went into the timing of their conceptions or birth). Before I know it both February and March have gone in a whirl-wind of planning and celebrating and eating and doing. This year is no different. Add in regular life happenings, seed sowing, gardening and knitting and I am like the old lady in the shoe who has so many children/activities I don't know what to do. But of course I simply don't have enough children, since loins perpetually tell me so, and of course in a few short weeks I shall be halfway through this pregnancy already. I am more excited by this pregnancy than any of my others, and I just have no idea why. I am a walking secret smile. And when I am not daydreaming I am knitting and wool purchasing and more knitting. And um planning DIY jobs for the Kind Patient, Tea-bringing Man.







Yarn info: I'll upadte my ravelry soon, for sure. The next five minute snippet I have. The first tiny Milo was knit in scrumptious silky soft Aysen from Araucania, as was the second, in a different colourway. The third with the Aran Braid was knit up with Cascade 220 merino in one of the Heather range colourways. The soakers were knit with Wool of The Andes merino in worsted weight. As was the brown stripe cardigan. The tiny jade green with red buttons cardigan was knit with my favourite Colinette Art. Still one of my favourite yarns, although the cascade Milo was lovely lovely to feel and knit.



Oh! If you are able to I'd be honoured if you checked out the article I wrote on healing childhood tooth decay in the latest issue of The Green Parent magazine and let me know your thoughts on the subject :)

8 comments:

arwen_tiw said...

The browny rainbow freckled Milo is gorgeous! I like your disjointed posts, just as much as your calm slow reasoned posts. It's nice to hear your voice, so to speak, in different times and moods. :)

arwen_tiw said...

And I'm always a sucker for a project post... ;)

Valerie said...

I have just cast on my very first Milo, they look fairly easy I hope they are lol. Yours are beautiful. I also like the little squares cardigan, I am strangely drawn to squares right now.
V
xxx

Laura said...

Gorgeous knits, as always. I can't believe how fast you create! :)
Really enjoyed your article in GP. I want to make some changes to our diet but find it so hard with picky little ones. They are both v particular about taste and texture. Looking forward to exploring further via the books and links you mentioned. :)

verdemama said...

With all of my pregnancies, knitting has been my favorite nesting activity. Those are all very beautiful projects.

Nicola said...

Hi Claire

Loved your article in GP. we tend to follow the NT way of eating so it was nice to see an article on weston price. Love your blog & added you on my friend's list on Rav

Lucy said...

oh no I will miss your article while we're away and that is such an issue for me and my family (as you probably know as i've asked your advice before on this) will see if i can still buy a copy when i get home...hmm or maybe i'll get someone to buy me a copy..

Lucy x

Claire said...

Lucy you can have my copy - after all I already know what the article says :lol let me know when you get back form your adventure :) xxx

The article was probably halved, I wrote A LOT but as it was it took up three pages, I plan on adding the rest of the info not used here on my blog. Two important sections I feel when dental health is an issue are night time nursing and also the specific bacteria that has been found to cause tooth decay in infants, both additionally worthwhile to consider when faced with decay.