Thursday, March 01, 2012

bluff



We walked right to the top of the Bluff. I love the Black Mountains. This is about 6 miles from our house. Blessed. Last time I seem to remember carrying Esmé up this particular spot in a back-carrier (jeesh, I must have been Super Woman). This time she charged ahead (wooden dagger in hand) and led the way. Felix brought up the rear (the cow's tail we say) and um, found lots to say, such as shall we turn back now? I realise at time like this that my kids are GOOD walkers (despite odd bits of moaning). They do it every day so they really have stamina. Dogs do that to you. I hope this gives them walking legs for a long time to come. The dog of course managed to run up and down this bluff several times to our one. There was a little stream bubbling out of the hill halfway up for her to drink from, and I just love it when after a massive walk dogs just flop.





We all had jelly-legs when reaching our tiny matchbox car again. Sometimes going down can be harder than up, weirdly. It's not tiring and your heart is not pumping like mad, but it's hard leg work. Yes, it really was practically vertical at some points. The kids and I have decided to try and walk this once a week until I get too massive (oh happy days to come) :) And also it will be a great place to roll our decorated eggs this Easter. We were so happy and triumphant when we reached the top - and why not? Such a rush to be so high up and full of energy. I am grateful that our bodies can do this, it's a gift I recognise. At the bottom we picnicked on market Camembert, buckwheat crackers and apples. I actually found it hard to drive, in our warm sunny car I felt like taking a nap (Esmé had other ideas and put Abba on very loudly). Early bed tonight I think.....















8 comments:

Pippa said...

Wow, you live in such a beautiful part of the country!! Being born and bred in the Fens, I get wildly excited when I see a hill. The view from the Wolds, looking down on Boston Stump always makes me 'Ooh-ah', but your photos are breathtaking!!

xxxxx

mashelly said...

beautiful photos love

Joxy34 said...

Oh gosh, those photos are making me rather homesick; they are so reminiscent of where I grew up in Yorkshire.

And wow, congratulations on your pregnancy :D Blessings hun.

arwen_tiw said...

Fabulous! (And mama, you are beautiful.) :)

Rose said...

Gorgeous, just gorgeous, I'm hugely envious of your 3D landscape - we live in the flatlands of Cambridgeshire with not hardly a hill let alone a mountain in sight for miles! Much love x x x

charlotte said...

lovely photos as ever! I just love where you live, it I wasn't in Devon..........

Roof said...

Oh, lovely photos! I used to work there years ago and walked loads of groups to the top of Twmpa - I share your love of the Black Mountains. That picnic sounds yummy too......

Lori ann said...

WOW. i'm in awe, the scenery is stunning, your children, and you are gorgeous. looks like a postcard.