Tuesday, June 10, 2008

garden days

Just in case you are not quite sick of seeing my children, playing yet again in the garden this post is for you :)



This week has finally been true summer, with blue skies and a heat that drives my hot self to the house for ice-clinking drinks, bare dusty garden feet sighing with comfort as they slap on the cool tiles.

Chicken reinforcements have been required due to tame hens wandering the house and er, doing their business whereever they fancy. It is quite one thing to come across a lovely speckled egg but another to find a dollop of green-white. Goodness knows how the baby will cope with this addition to regular house dirt once she is off and crawling. I will be certainly sticking to not wearing my specs around the house in the hope that this too will escape my notice and jolly myself along with thoughts of a boosted immune system..... Kind dh helped me out by making this bamboo and wire frame.



Our dining experiences have been exciting this week with the delivery of the outdoor furniture I commissioned a local guy to make from local wood. Soooo much nicer than B&Q and we can squeeze lots of children on to the one bench. We are still in the middle of our visitors-every-weekend phase and outdoor dining might make my after food consumption cleaning easier if the chickens can eat the scraps around our feet rather than my sweeping them up to throw outside. Am vastly relieved to be giving up this nightly chore and now encourage all eating to take place outside - my only question is can we keep it up when the weather turns? ..... Mmmmmm..... already planning the purchase of large umbrella to cope with rainy days after a craftily made hole in the middle of the table was suggested.



The baby and I sit on the grassy bank under the bridge in the shade and watch the boys being water sprites. She seems to be able to watch the babbling, gushing white water tinkling over mossy stones and just stare, peaceful. So it is my new favourite spot. To my joy there are dragon flies and this maybe the only time in my life I have ever seen them at such close quarters. Couldn't capture their amazingness on film but they were attracted to these big rhubarb-leaf type plants that we call 'elephant ears'. They really do look like giant ears. What are they I wonder?









Another shady spot is on the platform (beginnings of the tree house) where I can view with happiness my family's cloth blowing dry, the swing to my right, the chickens and their home and trees, trees trees. Can you smell that warm sweet oxygen rich, slightly dank (the stream's influence) air? It is magic. I keep thinking I might take blankets out there to the platform and spread them out for an afternoon nap with The Beauty while the boys play nearby.











No comments: