Friday, November 07, 2008

Cold Feet



Is what anyone wearing my current on-the-needles knitwear would have. I have been knitting the two bigger socks here now for over two years. I have been known to finish socks, I knit Felix two pairs last year and my mother a pair the Christmas before and my sister too, plus my circulatory challenged FIL (see! I can do it!)



BUT. I get bored knitting socks. I just do. And there's the challenge. I knit one (or get 3/4 of the way through one as you can see) and my knitting fever for them wanes. I get tired of the tiny needles and the forever same-same colour patterns (but I do LOVE self patterning sock wool, I really do - it's so clever). My FIL loves the pair I knit for him three or four Christmas's ago. He has some circulation problems which means he can't wear regular socks with an elasticy bit, and the lovely warm temperature regulating qualities of wool wowed him. So much so that my MIL tells me he wears them for a day or two, she hand washes them, they dry overnight and he pops them back on the next day and so it has gone on these past couple of years.... the same pair!! I have promised him another pair (or rather I did - a couple of years ago - thank goodness I did not say when I'd be finished knitting them, ha!). One day those blue ones will be his, I really really will pick them up soon (only because the guilt of seeing them again in my knitting bag kills me: I get this visual of an old man wearing threadbare socks, shivering through the winter (even thought the reality is his home being a centrally heated dome of tropical heat.....).



As soon as the tiny darling ones I am knitting for Esmé get finished (she only has one other pair of socks), and the promised hat for cousin Ruben, and the green pixie shoes I have knit one of..... cute yeah? What is it about footwear? I don't think I am destined to be good at finishing any of them..... and who are the other striped ones for right at the top? I have No Idea. Not one. But am sure they'll be lovely once finished....

3 comments:

Lucie said...

I have a sock problem too!! I always get "second sock syndrome". Why can't people just have one leg??? It would make sock knitting so much easier and less boring, lol

M said...

oh good, I was planning on including N's handknit socks for E - I always cheat and knit them in chunkier wool to speed things up :)

emma said...

I am in tucks at your image of your poor FIL shivering in his centrally heated house with toes poking through the ends of his favourite socks. How can you live with the GUILT, woman?

ps I'm still wearing your green cords. Haven't taken them off since they arrived, except for sleeping obviously :-)