
When illness strikes sometimes it can be a gift in disguise. What's the gift? Slowness. Time out of time. There is nothing for you to be or do but be cared for or if destiny wills it, to be the carer. I don't enjoy seeing my children ill any more than the next Mama. But when I try really hard I can see that slowing right down, paring everything down to the body and it's wellness can be like scouring away at the less important bits of life and leaving an appreciation of simple pleasures. My two youngest have been very ill with a viral infection which left them in bed with fevers over 40C for nine days apiece. Ear ache, vomiting, headaches, sore limbs..... we had one hospital trip and one Dr visit and mama care in between. The joy of seeing my little boy back upright and smiling without any pain - magical. Despite his thinned limbs. My little girly smiling, even though pale with purple smudged eyes. It is good. Little things take on a greater significance, like seeing the yellow leaves from the window, having a magazine to read, using lavender soap to wash away sweaty necks.... and for myself I step outside for the first time in days, breathe in and out and feel as renewed as if a trip to the sea had happened.
Not much in the way of anything besides beds and rest and simple activities here until recovery is complete.
Simple things giving lots of pleasure:

Playdough made from this recipe and coloured with natural dye (beetroot juice).
And above, wooden beads painted with watercolours and then smoothed in oil and beeswax.
7 comments:
Every post of yours is like a big dose a chamomile when my soul is feeling a little battered. What a beautiful gentle reminder to find a peaceful centre in every storm. Thank you.
I totally agree with the first comment. I do come here looking to get that cozy feeling from a loving mama. thanks.
BTW- i am having a hard time pulling up the playdough link. =(
What a wonderful outlook to have on illness, I love the way that you have of finding joy in everything!!!! I am so glad that your little ones are feeling better, sending you big hugs... X
Hope they feel better soon. Must try beetroot as dye for playdough in future
I think I fixed the link!
thanks for well wishes - we are on the mend :)
Love n Hugs to all!
xxx
I must give that play dough recipe a try - I'm sure the baby would love it! By the way, I've tagged you for a 'tree of happiness' award and look forward to reading your responses if you fancy giving it a go.
x
Post a Comment