Monday, November 03, 2008

Christmas dolls



Ok, so I can't remember when I started making these, but today I finished that last bits of them. They are pretty unformed with simple faces but suggestive too. The flowered one is made with a scrap of Cath Kidston fabric and is stuffed firmly with organic sheep fleece. The blue one is made from a piece of sky cotton velour and is my favourite. It is warm; filled loosely with fleece and is the sort of doll that even now I'd secretly and childishly like to take to bed with me. Of course, there's no room, what with my real life baby lying tummy to tummy with me but in that dreamy childhood remembering way I think it's a real girly bed time doll. I have this darling piece of moss green cotton velour that I think I will make another with. I lay the blue doll next to Esmé this morning and then picked it up and made it talk and dance for her and she grinned and goo-gooed. Then gave it a squeeze and tossed it to one side, utterly forgotten. For now. It made me smile to think of a time when she might tuck it up in a bit of blanket and croon to it like I do to her, or sit it propped in a corner and chat to it like I remember doing with dolls. Perhaps it might be whizzed around in a cart, lurching out and pressed back in toddler haste. What ever it's future holds it's good to be making toys for my own children, it feels nurturing, like when I knit for them or hold them to me to feed. I wonder if the items themselves hold a bit of that nurturing mama-magic in the very stitches and fabric and if our children feel it when they play with them?



Ok, so it is really just a bunch of scraps made into a plaything, but sometimes in the right light, for a moment, it is so much more.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Claire they are FAB..... It's really weird actually as today I found an amazing shop here in Christchurch that sells lot's of wonderful wooden toys and these gorgeous Waldrof style dolls. I almost bought one for Lola, but then I remembered the wonderful dolls that you had made (and now there are more..)and thought that I would attempt to make one instead. I am going to get the book out of the library again and give it a go. If I can keep my eyes open long enough that is.

Thanks again for your comment about lack of sleep, it's good to know that someone else is going through the same thing. I am trying to get Lola to sleep next to me instead of on top of me, but so far no joy, will keep trying though.

I am off to our local Steiner school's medieval fair on Saturday, even tough have decided against Kalem going there I am still really curious, also known as very nosey.....

Enjoy the rest of your week X

sue said...

wow, you really are a clever mummy, the dolls are beautiful :)

xxx

Claire said...

Julie I am going to the Steiner fair soon here! I am nosey too :) But I also like the things they sell!

Can't wait to see Lola's doll!

Thanks Sue!

Anonymous said...

The dolls are beautiful! I made a knotted Waldorf style doll for Rose when she was about Esme'sage and she still takes it too bed with her now. I've just finished making another doll for her Birthday.

I agree Claire, there really is nothing like creating your children's playthings yourself. I don't think people realise how simple they need to be. Some of the most boring toys on the planet must surely be the ones that beep and flash and move all by themselves!