
In Ancient times Samhain (Sah-win) was believed to be the time when the veil was thin between the world of the living and the world of the dead. Our ancestors could return to visit us, to give help and advice. People set out lights in hollowed out turnips to guide the spirits of the dead, and put out food as an offering.
~Circle Round
These ideas live on today - although the 'spirits' have become the ghosts and ghouls and skeletons, the offerings have become the 'trick or treating' sweets children beg from doors. The lights are ours still in our hollowed gourds and pumpkins.
We like Halloween. We remember that it is a time to think about the people who have died who we knew and cared about. We talk about what we remember about them.
To good to resist though is the spooky, spoofy stuff that make children wild with delight and excitement. There is room I think for both; the sober, heartwarming and the scary-silly.
What we like to do:
Pumpkin carving!
Pin the tail on the black cat (any guesses which book my painted cat was copied from?)
Apple bobbing
Outdoor fire with toasted marshmallows
Dressing up
Harvest soup and fresh bread
Chocolate apples
We have relatives visiting and so are getting ourselves geared up for some fun!
6 comments:
Love the Cat Claire! We have a real black Cat who likes to hang around when we're answering the door to trick or treaters. Some years back I answered the door to some kids after ours had gone to bed. I was dressed in black from head to toe complete with Black lipstick and the house was in darkness but for the Pumpkin lanterns and a few candles. They looked at me and then at the Cat and back to me again. When I offered them my Green choc chip muffins they said no thanks and ran off! I am also trying to teach my girls the true meaning of Samhain. I was sat reading Circle Round before I went to bed last night, gathering ideas. I think it's lovely to have a time specially for honouring our Dead.
Thats a very 'slinky' looking cat... Am I right????
Sounds like you will all being having a great old time on Halloween! It is different here in NZ, not really celebrated and as it's summer and light in the evening, lacks that spooky feel you only get in the dark!!!
My parents always made a big deal out of Halloween while I was growing up and I have bobbed for plenty of apples in my time!! Yum chocolate apples now they sound good, what does this involve?? I am always drawn to anything chocolately.
Hope that you and your relatives have a wonderful time celebrating Samhain....... Julie X
Yes! It's Slinky Malinky!
Coincidentally - Felix's cat Fred was knocked over yesterday and so we have had a death and a burial since my last post. He was VERY upset. Has wanted a cat for YEARS, since he could talk pretty much and tell me. We have George left as consolation still. Poor little George doesn't know what to do with himself, they were inseperable twin brothers.
Chocolate apples! I just melt some Green and Blacks in a small deep apple dipping size bowl and then push lolly sticks into apples and dip. You could put sprinkles or whatever, then put them on greaseproof paper to dry. Easy peasy.
Oh no, poor felix! Awful as it is for them at the time though, losing a Pet is a good way of getting children used to death, especially if you surround the burial with lots of ceremony. One of our Gerbil's was pounced on by the Cat last year. It was horrific as all the children were there watching as it happened, but it taught them a lot. Mostly about getting the Gerbils out when the cats around (lol), but it prompted lots of discussion about what happens when people die.
On no poor Felix and poor Fred! Hope Felix feels better soon, it's such a hard thing to say goodbye to a beloved pet!
Thanks for chocolate apple idea, will definitely be trying this on Halloween, the kids will love it..X
oh so sorry to hear about your poor cat, love & care to all
xx
Post a Comment