Saturday, October 11, 2008

On giving



I am a novice at embroidery. This is my first projects but the split stitch was easy enough to master. The felt is wool and it is stuffed with wool fleece too. Now I must be a simpleton of the highest order thought because every single time I attempt blanket stitch - easy peasy blanket stitch - my mind goes blank. Over the years I have used it a bit for the odd thing here and there and every single time I have to find a book to show me directions. This time was no exception. This block is one of the first I am making for baby gifts, getting a head start on the Christmas gifts here. Although when hand made is the order of the day how can I start any later?! I seriously enjoy making gifts. I get so much enjoyment that it is an indulgence for me, I get seriously excited about it. People do so find it hard to accept things though - have you ever noticed that? Accepting wholly and without any other feelings of obligation of reciprocation; some folks find very very hard. That would be the ultimate gift in return though - wouldn't it? The whole hearted acceptance and enjoyment of the gift.

It has taken me a while of thinking this way myself, I am still practicing it and rememberiing: to accept something fully is a true gift to the giver. I have learned to swallow and gratefully accept. Gifts abound :)



Testing it out on Esmé. She liked using her five new teeth to pull at and try to rip off the blanket stitch.

6 comments:

willow81 said...

Oh that's really beautiful Claire, it will make a lovely baby gift. I concur with what you write here about 'giving'... I'm just re-learning how good it feels... and even better when I'm giving something handmade.

I very much like your blog, and thank you for stopping by and visiting mine. Esme is adorable :-)

Sam xx

Julie said...

5 teeth.... wow Lola is stil to get 1, mind you see seems to have been teething now for about 3 months so wish they would hurry up and appear!

Love the baby cube, great gift idea. I agree with you about the fact that the joy of giving is present in itself to the giver. This is especially true if the present has been handmade, I love making things for people too!

You have just reminded me that I need to start thinking of christmas presents. I have been busy making Talia a few little gifts for her birthday next week and am in the middle of making a tutu at the moment, not sure how it is goingto turn out yet! Christmas presnets next on list, please keep sharing your great ideas...... X

Luissa said...

I know exactly how you feel about making gifts. I too love making presents for people and have been sewing gifts like mad ready for Christmas. I just hope they are received with the same feeling as I get from the giving.

Becks said...

I love making gifts too, but I do prefer people to accept for the joy of receiving rather than to think of it as an item in need of an exchange. So hard for people not to fall into that way of thinking.
Lovely cube and inspiring me to make a felt cube/dice for the boys now ;-)

Luissa said...

I so agree with you Becks, that's why I want people to enjoy receiving their gift as much as I enjoy giving it. I really like giving unexpected gifts to make someone happy and for no other reason.

nocton4 said...

Such a wonderful post.
I too,adore making and giving gifts, suprising people, making them smile and enjoy.
x