Monday, February 01, 2010

book sharing, mine

The most avid reader in the house is me. So I'm sharing some of my favourites too.



Susun Weed

If you have ever been in any way into herbs you will already be familiar with Susun Weed, pioneer of The Wise Woman Tradition. The premise - we heal ourselves, that to do so requires nothing more than stepping outside and gathering the wild herbs, abundant everywhere. Healing is not costly, rare, nor does it rely upon direction from experts, or upon being 'healthy'. Health and wholeness are not symbiotic, but wholeness, inclusion, transformations are to be embraced. The Scientific Tradition looks at disease or death as 'the enemy', the Heroic tradition sees disease and death as the 'result of toxins', the Wise Woman Tradition sees both disease and death as 'natural allies for transformation'. The Cure? Scientific: fix/fight Heroic: clean/punish Wise Woman: nourish.

Nourishing is the essence of the Wise Woman Tradition for me.

...cell by cell you replace yourself. thought by thought you create yourself. Dream by dream you envision the universe. You create millions of new cells every second: impressionable, vulnerable cells. From what do you make them? With what do you imprint them?

Nourish yourself optimally, with health/whole/holy cells. Imprint them with vibrations of wholeness, resonate holographically, and you create health and flexibility in the Wise Woman way. Not 'good health', as in the absence of pain and problems. Not immunity to all germs, viruses, hoaxes, disappointments, heartbreaks, setbacks and sheer galactic perversity, but the stamina and grace to find the thirteenth step of every problem, to find pain's gift.

With optimum nourishment, says the Wise Woman tradition, we find ourselves walking an ever increasing spiral of health/wholeness/holiness.

What of cleaning? What of toxins? How can you be healthy, holy, happy if you are full of crap? Don't you have to clean the liver? Don't you have to clean the blood?

Nourish new cells, optimally, says the Wise Woman tradition and the old cells, and other waste will be cleared away easily. the liver is replaced, every cell, in six weeks. Nourish each new liver cell optimally and the liver will clean the blood. the kidneys are replaced, every cell, in a month. Nourish each new cell optimally and the kidneys will clean the blood. The blood volume it's self is replaced, every cell in three weeks. What cleaner blood than new optimally nourished cells?


~ Healing Wise, S. Weed

A lovely friend introduced me to Susun Weed before Felix was born and I took to it straight away. I mean - something that doesn't require supplements? No juicer, no visiting Dr's? The thing for me to understand was that herbs, garden wild herbs are a food. Not an addition, but an integral part of the daily diet. I took to making proper infusions Susun Weed style - big capped jars full of rich nettle, red clover, raspberry leaf and let them brew overnight. These are bitter, earthy and so full-rich. I dived right into the greenness. Her books are full of great herbal advice, information and amazing inspiration of the Wise Woman kind.

We moved house and my daily infusion making fell away and was lost. I made raspberry leaf again in pregnancy with Esmé but not in full swing like before. Now I am reviving it. And I feel nice and excited about doing so. It feels just about right for me. If you are pregnant I'd recommend the pink book - Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year, mine is so well thumbed! Otherwise go for Healing Wise. Fabulous. My mum loves the one of hers I don't have, the menopause one.

Instructions for making infusions, tinctures, balms etc and drying roots and herbs are included in all of her books.


Dried Herbal suppliers I use (when I have none of my own hebs):

Neals Yard Remedies
Napiers
Baldwins
Akamuti

2 comments:

Taking Time said...

Also love Wise Women Herbals!! How wondeful to see her mentioned!

Jacqui said...

Haha - I love the menopause one too. I think I am the only person in the world who needs that one and the childbearing year. I may have to write a book about breastfeeding through the change :)