

to this:


Stinking gifted chickens on the ride home was, er, surreal and made one grateful to be home (rather than endlessly in the car with ponging chooks).

It was worth it though to see Nanny. One of those lovely things about visiting your mum is the tiny everyday trips down memory lane. The patterned spoons and ceramic bowls I ate cereal from when I was about five, still circulating and being used by my own children. The wooden clothes airer, the *same* one that's been around just about forever with the same familiar creaking noise as clothes weigh it down or it's opened and closed.... the tiny things that make you feel at home even though really you're not any more. Or maybe you always are when you are with your mum.... It's lovely. I hope my three feel the same about me and my home when they are grown and gone.







Home again and I was straight into my kitchen. Raw eating is hard away from home and without being able to dehydrate or food process. I made Fluffy Macadamia Feta, Pine Nut Parmesan, flax and onion crackers, candied pumpkin seeds and lots of buckwheaties straight off. The 'feta' was so good Esmé sat on the floor next to the open bottom aga door and cried (literally) for it to be ready. Home cheesy home :)

8 comments:
great photos .. happy belated birthday to a special little lady and am suffering serious wooden clothes airer envy LOL
xxx
LOL I'm suffering wooden stool envy! ;-)
Lovely photos hon :-)
Your visit to your mum looks lovely. Re-visiting all the familiar things that were a part of your childhood are so important. My own mother's house that she shares with her new husband has none of this, it's totally re-invented and not a trace that she has ever had children. It felt awkward, like I was snooping, whenever I visited her as everything was so deliberately removed from her past marriage and all that went with it.
So, it's lovely to see your photos, that's how I want it to be when my children have left home and come back to visit. Roots and connections to our childhood are so important and as you say, even the plainest mixing spoon has memories of a time of nurturing and protection that are a comfort in adulthood and lovely to see in the hands of our children.
The photos of the scenery where your mum lives remind me of Inverness-shire where my lovely friend lives. I'm hoping to visit her this year, it's just like heaven up there!
Aw how lovely! I didn't know you were coming up. We *will* meet up one day ;)
Looks as though you had a fab time. There is something very comforting about going back to familiar territory. My mum has precious little left from her life with us kids but it's magic when I do come across something that we had back then.
I was only thinking about your Mum the other day and how my Saturday mornings just aren't the same anymore.
xxx
Oh, the beauty of Ratcliffe-on-Soar cloud making factory!
cloud making! :) :lol
The snowy pics were actually taken as we came home near the Malverns!
I will certainly tell Felix the lovely lie that they are cloud making factories next time, he was nearly in tears seeing them this time! Much better to think they are clouds when you are six!
wonderful photo's, wow your mum looks so young and lovely :)
Sue xx
so good to see pics of your beautiful mother! It is too long since I saw her <3
Post a Comment