Tuesday, September 21, 2010

autumn holidaying I :: the harbour



We've been to Scotland. It's the same place we go every year (even pre-children my dh and I went here, largely (erm, make that utterly and because) it's free! But it's great. Really great. I love how my kids have this mental repertoire of what they want to do, from what they remember doing the previous year. Which means we do exactly the same things each year. For us, at home, land locked on the Welsh border, just being by the sea and doing nothing at all would be quite enough. Is quite enough. The drive (oh lordy, two days either end of the holiday) means once we are parked up and unpacked we lock the car and don't get back in until the holiday is over. The sheer amount of walking means end of day flopped outness, that lovely sort; scented with salt and wind (and sometimes rain, it's Scotland after-all).



The holiday was spent on the three favourite beaches, each with their own moods and feel: one grazes from the old castle walls and is a tiny pile of gritty sand and rock but has a pool slashed into the rocks to skim stones and is sheltered from winds. Another is curved in by the harbour wall and houses magnificent rock pools at one end, the harbour at the other. The final is a huge wide expanse of sand, dry and pale yellow, dunes and grasses, stretching to biscuit flat wetness that goes on just about forever when the tide is out. Which to pick from each day was our main question. Or which first....























10 comments:

Monica said...

I am glad you had some lovely holidays!
I was wondering about you <3

Heather said...

Oh that sounds like such a lovely holiday :) I love the idea of going to the same place each year - that's how my childhood was - and I remember exactly what you described of always the same list of things that we needed to do each year :) I'm glad you're back :) I missed you!

kat said...

I want to go back and play with you!!! We had such fun and want to di ut all again --but its freezing here today, so let's do a fire on the beach too, ok ;)

Elisabeth said...

Sounds like the perfect kind of holiday. Just relaxing, being on the beach is quite enough 'entertainment'. Holiday with special 'kids entertainment/club' make me feel very tired. I love Esme's cardi. Where did you find the pattern for it?

Claire said...

thanks Monica and Heather - good to see you both too :)

Kat, I'd LOVE to do it again :) Dh wants to go up around Jan sometime for some house stuff I think or even Easter time too, so I'll let you know near and see if you are available, maybe you could come for the whole day and have dinner with us and stuff back at the house? That would be so nice, we could be total real life friends then too rather than mostly virtual :)

Elisabeth - the cardigan! Oh my word, it is a 6-12 month one I think that has stretched beyond belief! It is from the Debbie Bliss Baby Knits for beginners and is the Shawl Collared Cardi or Jacket, some name like that (right near the back of the book). It is supposed to have this nicely turned over collar but I was fed up knitting that very last bit and did not notice I had not quite knit enough short rows, thus the collar has never quite turned over and instead is a sloppy affair. I just love the wool though, it gets softer every single wear and the buttons I don't think have ever ever been opened once, it just comes up and over every time (hence the stretch I think). I am very pleased you like it though. For a garment I was not technically happy with it has had the most wear and compliments of anything! How does that work?! I guess because she picks it to wear and so do I, it's always hanging around at just the right time and place and also, I am almost (but not quite) embarrassed to say, that after nearly two years of wear it's never been washed. gasp. But that is wool for you. And the colour brown, I guess that helps :)

Claire said...

if you look under jan 2009 the first entry is this cardigan as it was first made and how it looked then. Although I changed the pink buttons straight away for the wooden ones as they were too small for my mega big button holes.

Uma said...

Wow, it looks beautiful. Hope you don't mind me asking-where were you?
Uma (who lives in Scotland :) )

Elisabeth said...

Thanks! Those knits are the best though. Gives me hope for the longevity a brown cardi that my ten month dd just started wearing. I just won't wash it. ; )

Claire said...

St. Andrews!

Uma said...

Oh how lovely. I used to live in Montrose further up on the east coast and had a feeling it was on the east and not the west. We are in Ayrshire now so if you are ever over this way give us a shout!

Uma x