Friday, September 24, 2010

holiday II :: west sands





This is the vast expanse of beach that whips you into submission. You need a hat I reckon, for most of the year. Glorious skies, miles of sand gradual changing texture. Not one pebble, nor many shells but of the long razor variety. Sitting here at home surrounded by trees it's hard to remember I was just there. I love seeing so much sky at once. You can feel you are flying, even with feet planted firm. The whole outward exuberance of physicalness that happens on the windswept beach means simultaneous inward turnings and musings of self. I get as blown away in my heart as I do in body. The sea turns me into a hopeless romantic, see?



...for whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea

~ E.E Cummings

















4 comments:

arwen_tiw said...

I have never lived by the sea, but I feel homesick and teary looking at these beautiful pictures.

Claire said...

Oh yes! Isn't it just exactly that? A homesickness. How well said. Sometimes I think it's a longing to return to our watery primordial beginnings, other times I just feel a deep peace and sense of belonging that makes me feel the universe is a kindly place where good is all. That we live out what we we truly need to learn. And even when we percive something as 'bad' it's acatully good and strengthening for us. I don't even feel these sort of words as thoughts, just one certian rightness of feeling. It's what the sea drives home to me.... I get the feeling you know it too :) That being ses-side help us remember these sorts of things. Even only as very fleeting feelings....

Claire xox

ps. It was really f*cking cold though, you can't quite see it but esme's feet were red with numb coldness. We ALL certianly felt that :lol

Lucy said...

Beautiful pictures :) (& I love your hat!)

Dotty Delightful said...

wow I could almost feel the windsweptness of it on my face, how very exhilarating, love the one of you, so beautiful and natural like your really having a lovely time