
This is the sheltered tiny beach, grit instead of sand and a million and one pebbles, rocks and angles and all. I love some pictures of Felix I took there, just the one here though. They show him exactly how he truly is: absorbed so easily, happy in his own company and skin - in his own space. He so easily dreams. I admire these qualities greatly.





Around town and on our daily walks here and there (usually to and from beaches). See the distant students in the middle of cycling boys? Some really do wear those hilarious foppish gowns that billow importantly behind them in the wind. They have this funny thing: first year students must wear the gowns covering both shoulders, in the second year one is permitted to wear it from one shoulder and in the third hanging from two... I suppose those taking a forth year must have it trailing half way down their backs. The idea (my dh tells me) is that as the years progress, students shrug off academic ignorance. I am laughing typing this (not that you'd know) because of the disgusted and sickly look on my dh's face as he told me this (he was once a student here) and in due course hated all such pomp and ponce. I asked tongue in cheek, so did he have a gown still? Pah. Never did. Or rather was bought one and sold it in the student union for a tenner in order to buy in another round..... this is the man who's student days, I believe, consisted solely of playing rugby and drinking beer from his own shoe. Anyway, lots of memories for him here that I get him to make me laugh with :)








2 comments:
Sooooo nostalgic for me! Brought back all my memories of my red gown. And of the distant day when I was baptised in the sea at Castle Sands (before I became a Catholic of course) but quite an amazing experience!
I will not rest until i have pestered my student's union to start stocking those gowns- I mean, stylish university hoodies are all very well and good, but they just don't have the same entertainment value!
Post a Comment