Sunday, November 14, 2010

a day off



It's true. My one day of work outside my home feels like a day off. Not sure what this says about me.....? That it's terribly hard work being at home with three children, day in day out, 24/7? Or just that *I* find it so? It's a truth not often acknowledged that it can be so. Further cemented by it's unpaid status, sometimes it's not even 'counted' in the outside world as being true 'work' at all. There's this idea that we *choose* to have children (true), so we must be both grateful for the privilege (quite true) and thus not mind the hardness of the role (not always true). Why is it so hard? Is it my word usage, is it really just that it's 'challenging'? Do I fail to meet the challenges? No. It's just some days the challenges roll fast and furious one after the other and finding common preferences between us all is an uphill effort (and often failing) means that the default setting of self sacrifice happens. At work, away from home there is non of this. I just do the job required of me, I do it very well. I thoroughly enjoy it. Nothing emotionally extracting is expected of me, or asked. It's all very very easy compared to my regular day. And getting money at the end of that day is like the cherry on top. It's good to have a day off. It really is. Everyone should have one. Especially the Mamas :)















13 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooh, that looks like my kind of shop.

Definitely agree - being at home is hard work.

xx

Pippa said...

What a beautiful shop!! Claire, I have changed my blog to invite only today, but you are obviously very welcome to carry on reading it. I need your email address for Blogger to send an 'invite' though. Sorry about this, just wanted to let you know in case you hadn't seen my GP message. Lots of love xxxxxxx

Claire said...

Thanks Pippa, I'll pm you over at GP if that is ok... xx

Lucy said...

ooh I loved it at that deli, you are so lucky! I would love to spend a day every week there! And I can just see that delicious ginger cake, huge slices and so cheap... would love to come back :)

Claire said...

Lucy :lol

I do really really like it there. I like the machine to slice ham and turkey and salami that feels dangerous, I like the little beepy scales that weigh everything and sometimes stop and fail and I have to guess the weight (and cost). I like trying the olives and opooping illicit marinated cloves of garlic into my mouth as I work (not really supposed to but hey ho). I like the anxious people who rush in early to try and bag the fresh sourdough before it's all gone. I like baggin up the oats and apricots and rice into little bags and shelving them, I like that you can look around and 8decide* what to do rather than say sit at a cashiers desk (aka the Co op). I like that everyone chats, I like the old ladies and gay men that looked like they stepped from a Boden catalouge quite equally..... I like the discount I get, I like my bosses. After two months I don't even get tired feet anymore.

Next time you stop by I hope I am at work :)

Claire xox

The Yarn Owl said...

I love it there too, haven't been for ages though, 2 summers ago DH and I had a little *date* while my parents took DS out so we got some yummy food there and spent the afternoon sitting about enjoying the relative quiet of the buskers (instead of the constant chattering of a 2 year old!!) I would love a job there, although I think I would end up eating my own weight in food!!

Becks said...

What a beautiful place to spend a working day. I know what you feel about work being a day off from the family. I work 2.5 days and honestly feel more shattered by a day at home with the children than I do when I am in work. Being a mum is definitely the hardest job there is, although equally the most rewarding.
xx

Anna said...

Wow, great shop! How on earth do you cope with the no sugar thing surrounded by all those tasty treats? I worked in a wholefood shop in Alston before we moved for a while too, it was just as you described, although less Boden and more crazed hippies. My feet didn't hurt but I did come home with sore arms from pathetically trying to cut the super hard cheeses with the cheese wire! Email on way to you soon! Anna xxx

Claire said...

Anna :lol I know about that cheese wire :)

Too expensive for the crazy hippies I fear.... (and for me too atually if I didn't get my nice discount and free tasters :) )

I am fin sugar free, honestly! It has ben nearly two years! I am used to it. We stock those raw Booja Booja raspberry chcos though and I am often very very tempted. Agave and all. BUT I take my own version of chcolate with me and I do splurge a couple of times a day and buy myself coconut waters from the fridge. Sometimes I even eat the off fig or dried apricot, gsp.

Claire xox

Scented Sweetpeas said...

I know what you mean, I work a long Sunday at work and love it :-) The patients are always asking how I can be so smiley and i tell them Sunday is my rest day at work. I love being 'me' for a while and also love getting excited about going home and seeing the kiddies and hubby.

Elisabeth said...

I hear you. I am starting work again in January, reluctantly. However, i look forward to the train journey, unusual when you live in London, where i can actually read whole chunks of a book! Gorgeous shop. Lovely place to spend your day in!

Cyfaill said...

I absolutely hear you on needing time off. It's something I've been pondering a lot in my own life.

lilac73 said...

I understand the need for time off, I do Brownies, choir and band for my time off, so I actually leave the house! The deli looks great, so inviting, love the shelf of cookbook for recipe ideas.