Thursday, November 18, 2010

new rooms and indoor time



An indoorsy sort of week. Keeping people happy requires some debate and some shifting around of possessions. My sewing room (unused mostly - like when do I have the time to be honest?) is now a lego-play room, with mini TV and video player pulled from the loft. I like space to be used to it's maximum. It feels a lot better this way. I'll figure out where the sewing machine can go in good time. My plan is to find a second computer for this little space too, so that the boys and I are not hustling each other over who uses this one. Not a very visually pleasing room, what with the lego and all but I'll try and take a nice pic anyway since they are in it quite a bit right now.

I have totally let go of my screen time issues. They were only ever my issues anyway *shrug*. I just never saw it. I might not like it (where does it say I have to? Only that I see their prefernce is as valid as mine... and in actual fact, what bothered me was that *I* was forced to watch too, since it was in the main living area, now I don't :) ) In actual fact it's part of their life, part of mine and my limiting it was just getting frustration and resentment and stress. Nothing more. They do other stuff. They actually do. It's not like they sit there and morph into lumps of human shaped pieces of gormless clay.

Right now, in the fog they are playing outside. All three. A bit earlier they were watching birds through the window and drawing them (as was I). In a bit, they want to make pizza dough. Later they are having a friend over. If they watch Star Wars some where in the midst of this day then good for them. Wish I could find the time to slop about and do so. I am in super mode of doing, mainly to keep warm, I am just so cold lately.

Arguments over a single ipod turns to happier silence as they agree to an ear each:



Fireside drawing the birds we see on the feeders.





one boy reading to another



one girl at the sink, her default position ('wasting' all available hot water and washing dishes)



My kitchen shelves no longer hold both cook books and the boys home ed type of stuff. So we await the making of new shelves. I make tiny spaces of neatness elsewhere to compensate. Is it just me? To keep my mind in order I need order around me...? There must be another label out there that can be applied to my OCD behaviour like attitude sometimes....





Outdoor frost, outdoor rain and generally being glad to be indoors this week... I was sternly ordered to 'stop taking pictures of trees and things and take one of me! I have my nice new wellies on and everything!' Obliged.







6 comments:

arwen_tiw said...

:) For your lovely inspirational thoughtful beautiful post, thankyou!

PS: I have some useful labels that explain my normal state of chaos, how desperatly helpless I feel about it, and that my brain just WON'T work unless and until I sort some of it out (and I have to have tick lists and pretty planners also, these are not optional)... I have ADD (without the hyperactive H) - and I am an ENFP (Myers Briggs profile). Explains so much about me I can't begin to say how grateful I am for the labels!

Dotty Delightful said...

yeah your right, I think all the restricted limits I put on things for the boys is because I don't like it, but I guess if someone told me I could only sew/knit for one hour a day I would feel pretty hard done too, sometimes you need things pointing out to you, so Thanks for opening my eyes with your post x

Big mamma frog said...

Yeah, my kids have each gone through some pretty intense periods of screen watching and still seem kind human creatures despite it. Only child no2 needs some screen rationing, but I suspect with his tech-ability he'll end up working in IT anyway {g}

Pixies Momma said...

I love the fact that you have a Lego room, we have three downstairs rooms and two of them are dedicated to our children and the children I care for during the week...its just the most sensible use of space as far as I can see. We have a sitting room that is kept clutter free and its so peaceful to retreat to We have a half-landing room that is also a Lego-room that and Star Wars but still a childs' sanctuary and do you know the best bit?...it has a door that can be closed until I wish to see all the bits and bobs again..Enjoy!
Ria
http://pixiesmomma.blogspot.com/

lilac73 said...

I have to have little areas of tidiness too. Hating the mess of our bedroom at the moment but little two giving me no opportunity to tidy it.

Cyfaill said...

I struggle with screen time as well. Nice reminder that it is my issue. Perhaps I will have to do some thinking about it.