Friday, December 03, 2010

super cool



They did turn out so pretty, didn't they? I am too lazy to attempt sculpture or making proper snow creatures as a rule. I really am. I don't mind doing it for a bit but I'd rather just wander around staring at the beauty of everything, marvel over how every little thing looks so marvellously different with a covering of snow or ice. But of course children are not so thrilled to do that, so these sorts of 'crafty' things, quick and easy (OK except the nights' wait for it to freeze) are a good midway point.



Today the postman arrived as The Beauty and I were running a bath. We had just decided it was high time we washed our hair and preparations were in order for the weekly doing so (my hair takes about 20 hrs to dry so I can't say I like to do it often in this weather). We take turns lathering each other up (I like Jason's conditioner btw, a little goes a long way if you have long hair and require a fair old dollop). But our excitement overflowed when a parcel addressed to us was handed over. A surprisingly and unexpectedly pretty wrapped bundle of solvent free water based nail varnish. Fairy Glitter and Purple Princess. Ok, not really for me (a little girl friend's gift) but we decided to keep one bottle and try it out. All of us. Felix asked, are boys allowed to wear nail varnish? I was wondering what response to give when Isaac butted in - Fe! OF COURSE boys can wear nail varnish! Remember I wore some of Nana's I found in the fridge when we were in the Scotland house? It was blue, but this one looks nicer with the sparkles in... can I have some on? So of course Felix wanted some on too. All applied, The Beauty and I went into the bath finally, where true to it's word the varnish peeled off after about two minutes like little grape skins. Super Cool! she whispered, watching the floating bobbing bits of pink scud about. Indeed.



Is it dry yet?



Pink!

1 comment:

Jacqui said...

Your ice art did turn out beautifully.
Laughing at your hair drying time. Mine is like that too - not so much now that it's shorter, but in the days when I could swan off to the hairdressers for a cut and blow dry, i was always a 90 minute appt.
I love the Wild Fermenation book. How i want to visit his 'community' just for a little while. it would be very cool. We have the remains of an old byre in the croft garden, and my vision is for dh to rebuild it into a root cellar/store, which i will then fill with crocks of various fermented home grown produce. So, a kombucha mother and a few kefir grains would be fab if you can spare them. I'll pm you. xxx