Thursday, May 05, 2011

when you need to make something



.... to quote that sporty line ~ just do it. I had a million things this morning that I should do, a headache and felt so blah looking around my messy bedroom. I needed to acomplish something, a thing I could focus all my attention on and ignore all else, so I sat and quickly sewed a skirt. My machine did not oblige, but I am getting used to the messy way it drills out stitches.



The pattern is the super easy Lazy Day Skirt. If you have never sewed a thing but have access to a machine, make this. It's easy. And looks good. The fabric is from here, a non toxic Swedish print. I love this particular fabric because it's extra wide - see you use a whole width of fabric to make this skirt, from a bolt, selvage to selvage (thus no hemming required) so the wider it is the more swishy the skirt is. In fact this one looks like she has a bustle on under there or something, but I like that too.





And now, if my day is done for, I at least did one thing. Plus she actaully liked it, so I am counting that as two things. It's certainly allowed, as far as shit days go :)

10 comments:

lilac73 said...

Beautiful skirt, hope your headache has lifted.

missking said...

really beautiful skirt. love the material! well done that mama!

globeonmytable said...

My day hasn't been shit, but then it hasn't been productive either, yet...Congratulations on the lovely skirt and beautiful photos.

smilymel said...

Love this pattern, and once my girl is big enough for skirts I'll be using it.
I've also had a non-productive day, in my case a bit of a virus and managing a toddler who is going through terrible twos early and a ten week old sleep monster...

Rose said...

I woke with a headache too so hope yours has gone. Beautiful skirt, like your philosophy too - may try this the next time I have a 'doomed' day :)
X

Elisabeth said...

When you have so much stuff to do to do and then accomplishing one thing in it's entiretly can help with the rest I find. Great skirt, must try that when my little girl gets bigger!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely skirt and fantastic fabric. Thank you for showing me yet another place where I can drool over gorgeous fabrics.

I hope tomorrow is better in any way you hope.

devonmama said...

Great idea. Love the skirt, such a nice fabric x

softearthart said...

It is so sweet, as are the pictures, cheers Marie

Anonymous said...

Loving that skirt. I'm also a big fan of those fabrics. So much so that I'm now selling them on my new website enchantedfabrics.org! Will have to have a go at a lazy day skirt for Rose. Was thinking of making her one in the red ducks or chickens fabric but I can't make up my mind and neither can she!
Hope your headache passed ok. I sympathise totally. I've had a right time with migraine lately.

Natalie
x