
So, I had my mini meltdown of the week. Phew at least that one is over. You might know it. It *always* happens as soon as my poor dh walks through the door. 'Oh my god, I just can't do THIS any more!!' Gesticulating wildly around the room, trying to encapsulate my life, as I see it at that moment. He might not sigh out loud, but I assume he does internally. It gets to the point sometimes when I just cannot stand the sight of another floor to sweep, another load of laundry to sort, whether clean or dirty, another plate to wash, another meal to clean up or prepare (or hey, quite often, the fun of both! double treat). By the time I have also been chauffeur and dog walker and facilitator of fun fun fun for everyone else there really isn't much of the day left. To do the amazing fabulous things I imagine I could do if I only had a shit load more free time.
I usually wail a bit about how my whole life feels like I embody the job of a maid without actually being paid a penny. There have been many times even I have cursed my absent-at-work dh during the day, when things get really bad in my head - for leaving stuff for me to pick up of his on purpose. This is the man who is out of the house for about 12 hours, who has a stressful job with (too much I think) responsibility and who rarely ever ever moans at all. He's a much better person than I and far less selfish. In fact when I tell him thank you for his efforts in looking after us all and keeping us well. He tells me my pleasure. And he is not being sarcastic. I might be tempted. In his shoes.
And you know what. I know his day can be shit too, what I hate most are these times when it all turns into a competetion, sometimes I am aware that my moaning sounds rather a lot like blame. That's when it all goes sour.
But I really need someone to moan at. I know it's a rubbish thing to do. I'd like to swallow it down and not. But then I might explode. On all of that bad feeling. Someone who isn't going to try and fix it all by suggesting I get a house cleaner (um, yeah, show me the money... and I'd still spend it one something else first). I hate that cheery, well lets problem solve! attitude. Or at least I do when I am in this particular head space. The more I hear suggestions, the more I feel worse and worse and worse. I guess because the suggestions don't acknowledge the shit that today has been. They are already trying to move me on. Before I am ready.
In different situations when I am not in this mad place or woe I have literally have told my dh what to say to me when I am in these funks. Something sympathetic, something emphatic. A hug. An offer to make me a cup of tea. I have found I need to do this, because otherwise he takes my sad crying anger at life as an insult.
Sympathy is it takes. Women are really good at this. They really are. And they know just what to say and do to make it better, mostly. I'd like to live with other women sometimes. I really would. A three year old 'woman' doesn't count. She doesn't know sympathy, only how to give orders. Or advice. She's the worst sort of woman right now, kind of like a mother. Who doesn't know much.
Sunday morning was one of those days. Having another adult around at the weekends, as great as it is for other reasons, really adds to the mess and chaos and dirt (there really is a reason why I put the dog in it's pen after a muddy wet walk rather than let it luxuriate on the Turkish handwoven rug and it isn't because I like cleaning). Cleaning. Again. God it sounds so boring. And it is. Yet how come it takes up so much of my life and head space? It really does. And I struggle and fight against it, constantly. Life is messy, and while that can be lovely and freeing and fabulous, it generally is oh so much more so for those who don't have to clean up five people's crap every single day. It's very freeing and wonderful for those who disappear to do their thing after being so free and easy. I am a facilitator of free and easy whilst damming the aftermath.
And so on Sunday I sat on the sofa (after having resurrected this said bit of furniture from the ruins of previous person's fun on there. And after I straighten the coffee table, open curtains and tidy a bit). Who can actually relax in a room so topsy turvy and messy it's like an acid trip? Or an art exhibition you walk away from because it's not funny or ironic when you see it every day. Well my dh can actually plonk himself down oblivious to this, but not me. So I sit down and just feel like crying. I think after a Saturday at work, on my feet all day, I need the following day not to have to contain being on my feet all day, generally doing similar service to others. So I am on the verge of tears, and feeling cross and grumpy And hoping everyone might freeze into statues just so they don't turn the house into a further fun exhibition. And actually kind sympathetic words aren't even going to cut it. Wow. Just typing this I am boring my control-freakish sounding self a bit.
I like to think of myself as a radical homemaker. A women, not especially unintelligent, a woman capable of other things (should I ever have opportunity to do them). Someone who embraces and chooses the art of home making. And enjoys it. For sure. There are moments when this is true. When I am making jam, vegetable gardening, baking, sewing a throw for a chair, or knitting clothes for my kids. When I embrace the crafts of long gone and stir them back to life I feel good. The first time I made kimchi or kombucha, or kefir, or sourdough bread; they were all good hearty cozy times. Collecting eggs and rearing my own chicks. I was reclaiming skills I was never past down. But mopping floors? Cleaning toilets? Scrubbing mould from walls? Washing a fox crap covered dog? These are things that make me weep. Really. But these are the things that make the world go round. Literally. The millions of women (lets be super honest, it's mostly the women) that wipe their toddlers butts and potties and vomit from carpets and sweep the floors endlessly, endlessly, like that cat licking an open tin forever and ever never realising it was licking up it's own blood. I feel like that cat. Only I suppose I realise I am licking my own blood and still need to carry on doing so.
I like to think of myself as a radical homemaker. A women, not especially unintelligent, a woman capable of other things (should I ever have opportunity to do them). Someone who embraces and chooses the art of home making. And enjoys it. For sure. There are moments when this is true. When I am making jam, vegetable gardening, baking, sewing a throw for a chair, or knitting clothes for my kids. When I embrace the crafts of long gone and stir them back to life I feel good. The first time I made kimchi or kombucha, or kefir, or sourdough bread; they were all good hearty cozy times. Collecting eggs and rearing my own chicks. I was reclaiming skills I was never past down. But mopping floors? Cleaning toilets? Scrubbing mould from walls? Washing a fox crap covered dog? These are things that make me weep. Really. But these are the things that make the world go round. Literally. The millions of women (lets be super honest, it's mostly the women) that wipe their toddlers butts and potties and vomit from carpets and sweep the floors endlessly, endlessly, like that cat licking an open tin forever and ever never realising it was licking up it's own blood. I feel like that cat. Only I suppose I realise I am licking my own blood and still need to carry on doing so.
So I sit on the sofa and in order not to have to look around I open my laptop and the first thing I see is a left open page with a photo of a beach. I want to go the beach. Or something!!! I blurt out. Dh must sense hysteria. So he tells me this is a good idea and about how we can be up and out in no time. I turn all low and broody oh no, it's too late already to get any where like that..... he is already in the shower.
But we did it, we made it out. And it was good. And needed. Even if we spent too much money and were very late home. Sometimes just driving in the car together, is the most we get to be all together, with no one dashing off, or needing to be somewhere.
The most magnificent thing of all (bar battling the refreshingly frigid wind on a buffeted beach) was returning home and there were no additions, at least, to the mess of the house. I really really felt that as a blessing. When you feel cheered by coming home to no one having been there, you feel a bit insane. But also that going out more is the way to go. Then one feels less like a plodding home maker and more like one is choosing to be at home. When it happens that you are there. It makes the world of difference. It's quite radical to decide things. Yes I shall clean the bathroom floor because if I don't I will feel sick when I next walk in here, and mad at the person who did this. And I don't want to. And I talk to myself in my head this way (or some times out loud and then my kids shout 'what did you say?' and I wonder who they are talking too). Yes I shall stay at home today! No I shall not. I shall take myself and children off and out, even if it's just with bags of crisps and fruit off into the hills to tramp about in the rain.
Thanks for deciding to read this, you radical home makers. I have a chocolate and blueberry cake in the oven smelling ready. Have a virtual piece on me. Just make sure you clean your own plate. My sink is way too full.






32 comments:
{{HUG}} x
Coming out of lurking to send you hugs from across the pond! I feel your pain. I truly do. I often wish that I lived in a house filled with women instead of men, or boys about to be men. I too am tired of cleaning up their stuff, along with mine. Truly tired. Go easy on yourself, and let yourself do the things you truly enjoy. Bake that cake, do some sewing. To h**l with the mess. I wish I was closer, I would offer you a day away, and clean your house for you!
Happiness!
Dianna
Oh good lord, you are not alone! My husband and I have this going on every few weeks--I complain about cleaning, he complains about no free time, we get into a competition about who does more work. I hate it. Hang in there, enjoy your messy brood!
But I have to say I don't know how anyone can relax in a messy room either!! I always have to clean before I can sit down :)
Lol I am sitting here right now ignoring the inevitability of feeling fed up about the tip that is my living room! Very very familiar. Sometimes I can enjoy doing these daily chores, and sometimes they just really are chores, and usually my poor hubby gets the blame for me feeling fed up about it, too. Hugs, and virtual cake. xxx
PS - doing someone else's chores is different somehow. If I could come over and do your dishes I'd be there in a heartbeat! Though not the clearing up of sick or poop or mud - I've cleaned up cat poop FIVE times this week and I'm at my limit. ;)
God, I could have written this myself, virtually word for word.
Huge hugs and sympathy, and you are very much not alone - radical homemaking is a rather challenging path in lots of ways, isn't it, particularly when, as you say, it's mostly women who end up doing the less radical bits which support the overall enterprise. I wish we were closer in distance - we could radically homemake together from time to time, as a pressure valve!
Yup! Been there- still go sometimes. Tea, cake and hugs are good, but the beach is the best respite. xx
Oh God I hear you mama. Just don't put your plate in my sink theres NO ROOM!
Women are so cool and understanding and make wonderful sympathetic noises and hugs, and say 'I know how you feel love' we are actually designed to live with other women, although men can also be around if they like...
I tried so hard to do my washing up mindfully this morning rather than cursing every dough encrusted spoon and daydreaming of writing a novel..and I quite enjoyed it for five minutes..its hard to sustain, try it!
My small kitchen was in such a state this afternoon I actually burnt the edge of the tiling strip with the Remoska work top oven!! Not great considering it is a new fitted kitchen only three years old... might be newish but boy is it low on space!!
The never ending round of tidying, cooking, washing etc gets to us all and it's good to take a break. I'm with Jacqui cake is yummy but the combo of water, sand and fresh air is healing.
As always your pics are just fantastic.
Hugs to you
san x
Hi,
I have read your blog for a while now but never commented, but this post just made me, it was like you were reading my mind and writing down my thoughts and feelings.
I know its not much comfort, but know you are not alone.
Take care of your self. xx
this is me this week...
even the mould cleaning...
:-(
but your post has lifted my spirits, I do 'choose' to be here. Maybe I need to search a bit more for the Zen in cleaning and not so much actual cleanliness.
sigh...
xx
commiserating....
Your sentiments are exactly my own. I am so grateful to know others feel the maddening struggle of trying to be everything to everyone and having no time for one's self. In an attempt to deal with my own head space, I'm trying to remind myself of what I can be grateful for each day. That's not to say it's an easy exercise...rather difficult and grudging at times really ... but sometimes it works. Hang in there, and thank you for having the courage to say what we all feel.
hugs
and what a beautifully written blog. I think most of us feel this way, often and getting out of it all is usually the best thing for me too. To the beach... oh yes, i must do that again soon.
x
Me and DH have these moments too, way too often!! That beach looks lovely! There is some houseworky type book I keep seeing mentioned but haven't yet got round to buying called Housework Blues-supposed to change the way you think about housework, I think I hate the way you know that however much you do you'll have to do it all again the next day and the next ad infinitum. I too have that small boss woman here now although she has only just turned 2 ;P
Ah...yes. Not alone. Most definately, not alone.
(Perhaps we mamas should have a few weeks of respite where we live with each other!)
Uma x
heh, I'm an expert at washing off fox poo : ) if you could stand the stink for the half hour it would take for me to get there lol!
xx
Umm, I had a melt-downy week too. And cried at the parking lot in front of the warehouse store for about 40 mins. it carried on and on. Really- why, I'm not exactly sure. Some of the things you mentioned. I feel behind. And I feel that I can't catch up because I have to do everything with so little money, and time. One or the other would work okay- but both is tough. But the breakdown is good. Makes you realize everything you have to realize. Which was a lot. I posted my first post in months yesterday- apparently I have been brewing for months.
I know how you feel! x
Claire you have put it all so perfectly. Particularly the exchanges between you and your DH. Lord, how I empathise, especially after these last few days. And the way conversations turn into a 'who is the most tired/hardest working' without either of you wanting them to turn that way. Sometimes I say to DH, 'just listen to me, that's all I want. Don't try to fix things, you can't and i don't expect you to. Stop always trying to think it's your job to fix me!!! Just listen to me and give me a cuddle.' As you say, I end up telling him what to say to me. Madness. You make me realise that it's not just me.
I enjoyed your virtual cake, make sure you keep the last slice for yourself. Lock the door and enjoy it in peace and quiet. xxxxxxxxx
Thank you for writing this. I needed to hear my own thoughts come out of someone else. I feel much less alone now.
I feel you wrote this post for me! I have been also having a truly crappy time of it, yes I decided to home educate my kids but some days I want to run away - only kidding but it can be constant to the point of insane my husband has taken the hint this week and has been helping out more even taking over the teaching on occasions so at least I can get on with the boring housework all by myself! I blame myself I have too high standards, but you are right I will have to take your cue and get everybody out of the house more, now I will eat that peice of cake and then add the plate to the neverending washing up. Sorry for the moan but I definitely get where you are coming from on this one.
I think everyone has felt like this at sometime. I used to, and loathed it, really loathed it.It made me feel like an ungrateful selfish toddlertype tantrum person!
Whats stopped me feeling like it? Well having less time to do it all in! Seriously. I used to be a stay at home mum.Now I am a self employed housekeeper at a manor house and a shepherd, I also have other cleaning jobs.What I am trying to explain is that for me it took me to be seriously time constrained to realise my previous attitude to housework was pretty daft.
Now I have one rule for the girls(twins aged 6) their room, the kitchen table or the sitting room, well two out of three can be covered and liberally strewn with toot! but not all three.
And it dawned on me that what example was I setting them by picking everythng up all the time?
It worried me that it might seem to them that I was trying to *tidy them away* and also it worried me that they would grow up in to people that expect someone else to come along after doing it for them.
So over the past few years, they have been handed more responsabilty (BIG big lol learning curve for me because they make their beds, brilliant,is it as I would? nope. Does it matter? answer also nope) They pick up toys and put them away, do they do it as I would? nope not really but again does it matter I asked myself,nope.
I showed them that if they when asked, did x,y, or z then straight after there was a gain, a mummmy. A mummy RIGHT THERE. not a mummy picking up,tidying and cleaning the loo.
I do think as mums we need to be realistic as well. Our homes are never going to *be* tidy. Well they will one day when the smalls are bigs and gone, and then I am assured by mums with bigs that your heart dips and lurches for the sight of lego strewn to the four corners of the sitting room x
Delight in their chaos. Have one place where you can keep a sense of you,where its calm and tidy, for me its my very small bedroom.
Spend more time out of the house.Being there 24/7 gets us somehow doing things that we never ever would?! if we had less time.Because we are *there* we seem to see fit to do crazy things like wipe paintwork and clean the kitchen floor once a day.
With less time trust me, one learns that once a week on the floor is fine and whilst I dont have a dog,I have a very mucky rural existance lol! the utility room floor gets as much sheep poo on it as there is in the barn sometimes.
Everyones different, but that waffle is just whats worked for me x x x X X X
GTM x x
ps I am a single mummy now and one of the hardest things for me is that at the end of a hard day theres no one there to say hell girl you did brilliantly today!(to be truthful there wasnt when I was married lol hence now divorced!) but I have slowly learnt to pat myself on the back.Something that mums dont do enough to themselves x x x x
What a beautifully written post. You get to the absolute heart of it all with exquisite skill.
Thank you for sharing this blog. Thank you for articulating something so close to home it makes me cry.
I love reading your blog for so many reasons. Wonderful post, straight to the hearts of many women I think. Bucketfuls of empathy and sympathy from over here too. Many of your words resonate with me, although I am rubbish at most of the fun aspects of home-making. Plus, recently my 3 small people seem to need every second of my attention and I have found myself actually wishing I could have the opportunity to do housework during the day! Must remember that next time I find myself in front of a sink full of dishes.
oh dear. i know there is nothing i can say that the lovely commenters here haven't said already.
your feelings are normal and common. does that help? probably not. will it always be like this? definitly not.
i was right where you were, a stay at home mom, although in a poor marriage, which really felt like being a single parent to our five children.
and then, i blinked, and they all grew up. and one by one moved away. and now i miss everything i wished away. (except the carpooling, thank god thats over!) :)
sometimes i think there is nothing harder than being a mother. but i know for sure there is nothing more rewarding either.
i wish i had a magic carpet to zoom over and help out. sending hugs and love and understanding instead.
p.s. there are alot of shells on your beach!
sing it sister...'radical homemaker'...i like that. x
hello dear, hoping you are feeling better, please come over to my blog when you get the chance.
xxx
thank you for such an honest blogging. i often come to read your blog simply because it inspires me. today has not been a good day for us. so fed up of being ill and indoors, exaggerating all cleaning tasks in my thoughts, my caps lock button is refusing to work, that i can't seem to get a part time job blah blah blah she moans and that i'm nursing a bored and frustrated little boy who refues to do anything without me and yet is so fed up of my company. today it came to a head i cursed myself that i don't have the energy, and that even if i do no-one will thank me, that i have drifted so far from my intentions, that my nose is running and that i am single and there is no-one else to blame, or cry to or resettle him to sleep or even bring home fresh milk. and then i came to this blog, and stopped to look at the winter beach pictures, and read your words. i felt others hear my pains, that maybe i am not some malfuncting homemaker, beause we all do those tiresome tasks with the same woe for them. that next time i swear in my head at the bathroom mildew, it's ok to. i put on music, made dinner and left the damn dishes in the sink to type this, they will be done, and when we are well again, we will go venturing...
Wow, loved readng that ... it's like you got inside my head and wrote word for word what I procrastinate about to myself and anyone thats listening in my house ... nope, it's mostly just me, they love to make the mess and have fun ...I just get to clean it all up, like you. I had never thought to call myself a radical homemaker or a fascilitator of fun but those turns of phrase make me feel better about it all actually! I might like to print up buisness cards with those descriptions on!
I'm eating virtual cake (about a week old now I think!) and have a steaming virtual cup of tea here for you if you're in need, I know I am.
X
Same here...and I get annoyed with the kids for trying to help and making it worse. And then I feel terrible for being so horrible to them. And I don't even do the crafty stuff- yet- I'm working on it. xx
Post a Comment