
Isaac went shopping all on his own and bought me this for Christmas. I remember doing that when I was 10, it's so good to have money in your pocket and be able to walk the shops and browse and pick just what you think someone would like. Only he didn't buy for anyone else, only me, he used up all of his money! I love it. Really, I will always treasure this little gem stone tree as the gift he bought and picked out himself.

We have a very bolshy hen. Just sayin. She runs up and pecks at my hands, like they are a big bunch of tasty worms and I have to force her away from me. With my foot. She is so bossy and naughty. And scary. She got right in my face while I took this pic, she wanted to smash the lens, I know it.


We have not made bread for eons. You just don't when you are gluten free. I just don't suggest it, you know. All of that flour, achewwww! But they really do like the kneading. And sticking currants in for hedgehog eyes. Esmé had a massive hissy fit just after I took the nice picture of her kneading. I can't even remember why. She is very stormy.

Luckily her screams didn't ruin the bread. Although I am sure the singing of a sweet song instead might have helped it rise faster.


This is Neville II. We woke him up to take a photo, since he is a late night party animal and sleeps through the day. He responded in kind and bit Felix, blood pearled up on his finger. Felix said through his tears, don't worry I still love you Neville! The ten minute news reports on Neville's state of health and position in the cage have gradually dwindled. Thank goodness. There's only so many times I can get really enthusiastic about him chewing on a bit of cucumber. Again. But goodness knows I am a great actress. He is cute though, teeth aside.

After reading Eddie's Toolbox (for the zillionth time) Esmé and I made more bird food for the garden birds, and an additional tray for the mad hens.


Also enjoyed right now are these Usborne dolly style sticker books. We have gone through quite a lot, this is the second since Christmas, and the very favourite of all. It was pretty interesting, and the stickers are placed just so. Although Esmé never quite knows the purpose of handbags/purses and they tend to end up as hats. Luckily they look pretty good that way too. I might try it... or I would, if I had a fancy handbag. I don't. I use a big wicker-ish basket. Which is why she probably doesn't know their real purpose. I also often find I am sporting a dog lead slung around my neck. This is not a great look for me, but probably adds to some sort of neglected looking charm.... I hope.

My hand was utterly forced into making a flourless chocolate torte by Heather. I improvised on the original recipe in the The French Kitchen cookbook by Joanne Harris. I used home made goat ghee and melted coconut oil whisked together with a smidgen of maple syrup. To this I added three egg yolks and my own ground up brazil, almond and walnut meal (not quite fine enough either - future note). After blending this I added one bar of melted Green and Blacks dark cooking chocolate (minus the pieces Esmé ate) and then finally the egg whites, whipped stiff-ish, and folded in gently, cloud like. I measured nothing at all, just looked, guessed and hoped. It turned out sort of brownie like, and sweet enough. Everyone here liked it so much. I think I used only about 3-4 table spoons of maple, I counted on the bitter-sweet chocolate providing enough. It did. It made a very delicious breakfast.
Today I really want to make some avocado chips. Like these. They look good and I am sure I can make a spicy gluten free version.
Also today we are keen to paint some stream rocks and try and make houses like this lovely one.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

edited: I *did* make those avocado fries. They were soooooo good! Really! The softness of the avocado and the crunch and spice of the crumb... yum. I used rice flour to dip the slices, then egg, then finally I made my crumb with scrunched up gluten free oatcakes mixed with salt, pepper, chilli, coriander, cumin and paprika. I am looking into my future and seeing these on my plate again later tonight :)
9 comments:
I always leave your blog feeling hungry!! What a wonderful present, lucky mummy. x x x
Your torte looks so good...mine are full of sugar, not good, especially as I end up eating it all (no one else is quick enough). Love your gem tree, so pretty, rainbow like. Scary chicken, there's always one in every lot! Shin pads? Although the tray of goodies might cheer her up for while? x
I have made gluten free Onion bhaji sort of things that use chick pea flour instead of the flour and are oven cooked so are a bit healthier thatn the conventional ones....they are delicious and even my six year old eats them!! Welcome to recipe if you want xx
Love
Natalie xx
Yes please share it :) They sound delicious.
What beautiful children....making bread, painting river rock!! Your recipes look fabulous (will try both!), thank you for sharing!1Even the chickens look friendly...such a lovely life!
you are so funny and clever and busy! i love your sweet gift, the ones from my children are always my favorite, treasured forever too.
i can't wait to see what you make with the rocks.
and i wish i could spend an afternoon cooking with you, i could learn so much!
My father always had a zero tolerance attitude towards aggressive chickens. They ended up in the freezer, and then in stew when a couple of months had passed and noone would remember the provenance.
Oh my goodness those avocado wedges sound amazin'! Birthday treat for myself me thinks!
I love the tree your boy bought you, I too am starting to introduce the children to gift buying, I used to love trawling shops for my beloveds when I was a wee one.
Big love to you mama x
What a beautiful gift from Isaac. How lovely.
That cake looks just delicious. Will remember to come look here next time we want something sweet. :)
Post a Comment