Monday, April 27, 2009

Book Sharing Monday - II

Again I have picked two to share. I never fear of my running out by doing multiples, I have a back-log of books to carry on with, they are stored in my mind like trains in a blocked tunnel, just waiting for their chance to appear on Book Sharing Monday.

Little Black Sambo



Oh yes. Some may have much to say in argument over this book. I quite agree. Tigerism is not a nice thing. But of course it is very easy to see how H. Bannerman could have felt so Tigerist, her being from a whole different era of thought and all. A talking point in any case should the issue arise.



Synopsis: Little Black Sambo was made and bought some fine new clothes by his Ma and Pa and quite rightly he then wanted to wander through the jungle to get a feel for them. But by and by he meets a Tiger who threatens to eat him. Never fear though, the Tiger is much satisfied by the acquisition of an item of clothing instead. Declaring now indeed he must be 'The grandest tiger in the jungle!' Not long afterwards yet another Tiger greedily wants to eat the magnificently dressed Little Black Sambo. And so it goes on until the clothes and shoes and umbrella are quite gone. But.... soon the Tigers chance to meet and dispute over which of them is truly the grandest (as tigers are very apt to do) and so taking off the clothes they set about chasing each and Little Black Sambo is reunited with his dear clothing. The Tigers, in anger and nakedness, chase and chase each other around a tree whirling faster and faster until there is nothing left of them but a wonderfully big pool of melted butter. And so the day ends well, with Pa taking home the butter for Ma to turn into pancakes. Yum.



A story that makes me smile every time I read it - Tigers turning into butter! Pancakes! Clothing returned to it's rightful owner! Satisfaction and relief in one tiny little blue book.


Phoebe and the Hot water Bottles



There is a reason this book is no longer in print, I am sure it has something to do with a small girl being left home alone in a house above her chemist shop, just her and her 158 hot water bottles. When all alone one night, a fire breaks out and what does little Phoebe do? Run out screaming to a neighbour and call the fire brigade? No, of course not. She empties out all 158 hot water bottles on to the blaze and saves her home. And the chemist shop. Naturally her father is utterly delighted with her when he returns. And her one true heart's desire is finally full filled in this act of heroism - a puppy! All of her very own! Sigh. What an ending. Plus phoebe does A LOT of fun stuff with those hot water bottles. Fab illustration.







I have never felt the need to actually say in a smart voice snapping the book shut - now boys! You know *really* what one would do in such a situation, yes? I mean, come on. Fantasy. Silly and absurd and crazy and totally not safe or sensible, or PC. You can see I like that my books have that certain tilt. But, do you?

If so maybe you'll like my choices this week.

5 comments:

Jacqui said...

Haha - I also have a stack of books that are no longer PC. I might share one next week.

Lorna said...

I also have a copy of Little Black Sambo. It was my mums and I can't bare to part with it.

Anonymous said...

We also have a copy of Little Black Sambo but it's my husband's and he has it hidden away in the loft with some wonderful Noggin the Nog books and we (the children and I) are not deemed fit to go near them it would seem. He gets quite snappy if I ask if we can see them. He's worried we'll damage them. I can't stand it when people get too precious about books. I simply don't see the point in preserving them if they're never going to be looked at!
I love the illustrations in Pheobe and the Hot Water Bottles. That's what draws me to childrens books I think. We have some really poorly written books that I have bought purely becasue of the illustrations!

sunnymama said...

These both look like good reads! I love the illustrations in the second one and the plot sounds great. How fortunate that she had 158 hot water bottles :)

l said...

Just realized you are taking part in Book Sharing Monday! If you'd like me to add you to the list of participants, please add "book sharing monday" to your posts.
Thank you and welcome!
Your post is great!