Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Marzipan, that Easter thing....



We are busy with Egg inspired Easter crafts. And so of course Isaac had to make marzipan chicks. I know. It's what springs to my mind too when I think about Easter crafts. But he'd seen them in a book and was certain he'd like to eat a whole lot of them (even though he's not tried marzipan yet, in chick form he thought they'd sure to be yummy). Who's going to stand in the way of a boy wanting to make marzipan chicks? Not I. He made them, I helped, both of us had hands stained yellow and orange, but he was right, they did taste mighty fine. It's the first time I have tasted a bit of marzipan that was not first peeled from a blob of thick icing from a slab of Christmas fruit cake. I was not eager to try it, but it was addictive (am I destined to find everything sweet addictive??).



We also painted thick stiff paper to turn into basket-y holders for egg hunting.



The Beauty had her first try at painting. She knew just what to do after seeing us do it a fair few times.

She selected her brush



And then turned out her first masterpiece.





Then she swept up.



And tried to eat the brush.



She still pretty much tries a to have a chew of everything, but we don't mind, in fact she was probably hungry what with us scoffing the marzipan chicks and leaving her out.... does a 14 month old really need to eat marzipan?

She didn't see us though and that's the secret. We have learned to distract her and then eat our treats in peace. So in fact.... eating that marzipan didn't even count!

I do this twisted bit of logic with all of my edible 'treats'; telling myself if no one saw, it didn't actually happen.... I doubt it'd stand true or firm in a court of law or anything, this fine philosophy, but with sweet things, and babies, it works! Well if you don't look at my hips....

1 comment:

Julie said...

Oh look your little beauty is walking and sweeping up, how fab!!! Lola took her first 3 steps yesterday much to our glee and excitement.

I loved her painting, obviously she is destined to be a great artist.
Those little easter chicks look so cute, I am not a lover of marzipan (yay one sweet thing of my radar), but they definitely look good enough to eat!
We have been using the same tactic here today with Lola, if she doesn't see us stuffing our faces with chocolate eggs then it's all good. Happy Easter to you all..... X