Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Time for such things as this

I made these:



and other bits (hair elastics and tiny chick brooches):



For a part of our Easter-ish treasure hunting. I think we'll have some extra children guests this Easter so no doubt will make more. Rabbit brooches for bigger children, tiny chicks for smaller ones. Hair bands for.... erm, not sure actually, but my hands obviously needed to make some.

And so I am choosing this post today to concentrate on a ten minute crafting slot in my day. A little bubble of random craftiness that lifted me momentarily out of the grasp of my regular day. If I were to talk about my 'real' day (or rest of) I might talk about the weird tummy ache I have had for days, or the disgusting downstairs bathroom with blood all over the skirting (courtesy of our lovely cat bringing a half dead mouse in to play with). Or the boys asking me if we were going to do anything exciting today (other than being in the garden again). Or even, gasp, lovely Esmé taking her first wee step. Or the boys barricading the Beauty out of the sitting room (and their game) thus making her cry and wail. Or the entire house which inexplicably seems to need my attention everywhere; two leaking baths, every floor either needing sweeping or hoovering, the skirting being a hidden shelf for grime, clothes, clothes in every stage of being laundered (or not).... blah blab blab, yes the wonderful list of every mother at home today, that list which never ever ends. And in the words of my grandmother; A Woman's Work is Never Done! Yes she is right. Some days it's a little chance for a pity party realising this, another for a big sigh, another for an opportunity to be Buddha like and remember that supposedly chopping wood and carrying water leads to enlightenment and from then on one is happy to spend the rest of life chopping wood and carrying water (can this really be true? I mean, come on!). Some days it's a chance to feel super motivated and fly whirl-wind around, singing and getting everything plus more, tucked up and away under the belt (or rug), mentally scribbling out the to-do list etched on the brain.

Today the air is still, the sky is a blank white canvas of no depth and I can hear the lawn mowers for the first time from the neighbouring estate. I have meandered around the garden picking grass for the guinea pigs, I have lay in the hammock for some dreamy peaceful minutes listening to the waterfall and the sweet noise of my baby suckling from me. I have knelt in the greenhouse and planted spinach, purslane, chives and sweet peas into trays and pots with a fat baby watching my every move from the snugness of my sling... I have read a magazine, I have watched and chatted to playing boys, I made pittas to eat, you guessed it - outside. In short I have avoided the house (and horrible bloody downstairs bathroom) and it's call to work in it. Nothing inspires it today. Even now I am thinking a walk and then I will make dinner.... resigning chores until everyone is asleep - just like last night and the night before, only I ended up watching Wall.E (it's really good!) sitting on the sofa half asleep and drinking tea. My my. Exciting, indulgent and relaxing! What more could a woman ask of an evening, especially whilst in the midst of her fun-loving 20's? :lol Except of course to slide in a few minutes sewing or knitting. Done! Big fat tick there.

Which I did (of course - anything to avoid housework and perhaps resulting enlightenment) and which is all I really came here to say. I seem to be taking the long way around, again. Is it another bid to avoid work?

More work avoidance in the form of:
~getting my dh make me a quick fairy door so that I could spend time deliciously placing it and wood gluing it (planning on sticking a fancy door-handle bead over that little screw). To be honest fairy doors and fairy houses delight me about a million times more than my children. Why is that???!!!! Oh well, who cares, it makes me smile, and even skip and maybe even imagine I have a stream of glittery dust wafting out from behind me as I do the more mundane stuff, like hang out washing or empty compost..... :)





~watching the chickens and cat (becasue when you don't want to do something their lives suddenly seen really intesting).





Both of which seemed to want to be near the stream today. But not together, the cat is very sly and foxily lazes, waiting and then pretend-pounces at the chickens who never fail to live up to the shock and fuss nosily, outraged for a good while before settling back down to peck the ground, their three minute memories forgetting even themselves I think. Certainly they forget the cat who grins and begins the whole farcical routine again unless I poke him away to more wholesome time spending. Like being stroked. Hey! I have time for it today! I'll make time. That has been today, making time to do nothing (otherwise known as work avoidance) but the simplest of undemanding things. Like, er, blogging.... :)

Yep, I know, I know, there is NOTHING now but to venture into the bloody bathroom. I may have exhausted all other possible things... well no. I could always make a chocolate cake..... or EVEN get knitting the fiddly and gigantic socks I promised my FIL years ago and which strayed into choredom long ago too.... sigh sigh.

Why is this blog post still going.... see! Just try and pry me off here! When work is to do there is always time for crafting. Or talking about crafting (I did do that already, yeah? I could of course repeat myself....) anyway. Amen.

9 comments:

Carolyn said...

That sounds so like my day yeaterday.....baking 2 cakes for the freezer, 2 quiches (1 for the freezer), a pair of knitted socks for the little man and an experimental gnome hat, a walk or two with the dog, lunch and tea outside...notice the lack of cleaning and tidying mentionned there?
Your day sounds more relaxing than mine though!

slugs on the refrigerator said...

yep. Me too. Major everything avoidance in scotland as well.

Love the bunnies!

sue said...

I am an expert at work/household chore avoidance...I think there are many more of us out there just enjoying being :)

xx

nocton4 said...

oh what a fab post, I am feeling SOOOOO overwhelmed with just about everything at the mo !
Hat has arrived and is wonderful,thank you, thank you .. will post wool off, should have done it by now, I know, but trying to get to the village post office, which opens when it cares to, just is so beyond me !
Kool aid stuff came from trip to the US but see good old ebay do it !
xx

arwen_tiw said...

Amen!

Cyfaill said...

I can relate to a day like this. Sounds like an average day around here. I'm a master at the housework avoidance.

Wall E is good, but so so sad. My kids don't think it is sad, but I sure do.

Gina said...

I needed to read this too :) Great post!

Anonymous said...

Your post has really cheered me up - been neglecting crafts with the kids lately and a 10-minute slot sounds doable - I think I have touch of OCD where the housework is concerned - must learn to get-out and enjoy the fresh air. Loooove the felt chicks, and I looove Wall-e - one of the best kids films I've seen. Good luck with mouse. :-)

Julie said...

hehehe I loved this post claire!!! Reminds us that we are all quite alike, joined by the bond of motherhood. I mean who can really be bothered to do the dusting when there is so much else to be done, like making wonderful little fairy doors!!! Being also quite obsessed with all things fairyish, I love this little doorway to unkown magic. Maybe we need one for our little fairy 'Fizzy' who lives at the bottom of our garden, I will ask my DH to get on the case as soon as possible!!!

Love your felt creations too by the way especially the little bird hair ties, they are so adorable!!!

Yay also for Esme taking her first step, she will be running around before you know it. Lola has been loving standing unaided for a few seconds before toppling over, she thinks she is so clever and so do we..... Loads a love and fairy wishes X