
This is the hands down, clear winner when it comes to the book both my dh and I read most often, constantly, without pause, day after day to Esmé. Her choice. She has a sound effect for each page; the 'wooo! wooo!' of the seven doges chasing one another, the 'pffff! pffff!' (think panting out of breathe) of the six joggers jogging, the 'slurp slurp' with signs to match the lucky two big girls licking ice creams. I think no matter how tired we get of reading this book, my dh and I read it yet again as it is placed (thrust) in to our hands. Because. Because it's her favourite book. She gets so much pleasure from it. A strange, huge amount for such a short, small story book. Again and again. And again and again. Sigh. :)

I wonder if she will remember this book. I wonder if she remembers her joy at being read to over and over. It reminds of one of my brothers, he had this book, Jeremy Mouse was hungry (greedy mouse, leans too far to gather more balckberries and falls in to the river - see! Even I remember it and I wasn't even doing the reading, I was somewhere in the background) and even though he couldn't read he knew that story word for word (er, we all did I think). Just like this one. I hear the boys repeating the text to each other in sing-song voices while they do other things, absorbed, unaware that they are even speaking. It's amazing how books permeate a family so. So that you smile and shake your head and read it yet again for the 12th time that day and actually don't mind. Can even summon funny voices. It's a sort of pleasure. Like having and itch and itching it, over and over, even though it gets sore.

Shirley Hughes, you've created an itch of a book.

We pretty much like the other Shirley Hughes books I found here and there, upstairs, down, in one pile, in another.... I had no idea we had so many until I collected them together.

Treasure. Of many sorts.
7 comments:
I have so many of those books too, stored from my own childhood. Esme has great taste (lol) because she has selected my own very favorite too. *grins*
We love Shirley Hughes too x
I recognise a lot of those books too! "Dogger" was a favourite of mine when I was little! Some books are just timelessly lovely aren't they!
Yeah, I mean who doesn't love Shirley Hughes? :) Felix's favourite is Dogger too, he has a special cat he totes around like Dave and Dogger.
i never heard of shirley hughes!!!!!
i looked though and they have them only at the library next town over.
perhaps we will stop after swimming lessons.
beautiful illustrations.
the pictures always capture me!
the illustration at the bottom is from the book Alfie's Weather. Dogger is good one to start with, as are any of the Alfie ones :)
I love her books and have her book on her life http://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Drawing-Autobiography-Shirley-Hughes/dp/0370326059/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249685081&sr=8-1 which is one of my favourite re-reads
Post a Comment