Tuesday, January 11, 2011

the smile dream

I pluck the stars from the sky
and weave a crown of jewels for you head
the one you made for me feels threaded with barbed wire
I can sit here, now calm while you have raged, my walls and doors can shake away
the silver vein of longing is replaced by something harder
It glints like a blade
come in and I will show it to you
I doubt I would suit you
now
I am made of something else entirely
soft, cloud like, but cold-diamond hard
I made a fortress once,
long ago,
then the walls fell and crushed me
It is better to stand on the edge of a sheer drop
sky high, wind blowing, rain falling,
and know that there is nothing to fall but yourself
To stand quite alone, a naked tree in a field of bleached grass
and see joy and a fullness that the winter tree hides
hidden like a steel blade behind a back in a clenched fist
is the rich bloom of summer
Smile
and the world smiles with you

4 comments:

Jacqui said...

I keep coming back to read this Claire. Such evocative images. xx

Claire said...

It was another of my 'wired' dreams :) When I woke up I wrote this down quickly so as not to forget it.

Jacqui said...

I guessed it was a dream. it seems very positive and touches on lots of things you have been writing about recently. Facing up to death and finding the strength you didn't know you had maybe? And yet you know how strong you are... Dreams are wonderful gifts, i love receiving them. Go with the feeling it leaves you with.

I don't have your email so I will pm you. xxx

Emanation said...

Brilliant poem Claire very evocative.