Sunday, January 16, 2011

weekending ~ book shop



This is where I go when I have a break at work. Doing something entirely on my own, after a decade of being at home with children every minute is still a novelty. This is where I go with my children too. I think it's my favourite bookshop.



It has a blend of new books, used and first edition/old edition. It has a new restaurant and it has armchairs. Armchairs! I cannot fathom the *lack* of armchairs in the regular high-street bookstores (well of course I can really, but don't much like it). There's always something to look at (if you ever get past the books); odd artwork or interesting nooks and constantly changing displays. The window is always a treat. And of course there are the two Scratchy Cats, named for obvious reasons.





I did ask but apparently they don't have names, they are just Shop Cats. I think every book shop should have a couple. The Beauty hunts them out and then just stands coyly, staring at them happily. Maybe she forgets we have our own King of the Cats, here at home, or maybe it's the idea of A Cat! In a shop! In the world of book shops, this one is a lovely novelty.











At home this weekend:

~Isaac has discovered the Alex Rider graphic novels, a big hit I think.





~card making





~I came home on Saturday evening to find everyone had been out swimming, horse riding and to the climbing wall and pizza making was under way by the youngest and oldest (I have to add that I think The Dear Man finds entertaining without me rather tiring) .





~I could eat soup all of the time (if only everyone else in the house were so inclined!)





~I think the scissors may be glued to her hand



~still have not taken the last bits of decorations down, the snowflakes - I still really like looking at them. Even the tiny ones have not been wind blown, bashed into or pulled off yet (amazingly).







~the nature table is as austere as outdoors.



~liking this clock



~indoor Spring bulbs



~this is how the tiny one and I reconnect after my day away :)

12 comments:

Kathryn said...

What a beautiful weekend, and you and your littlie look so cute and cuddly in bath together. Bathtime in our house is utter mayhem!

sue said...

I so want to visit your bookshop!!! Oh and the bath pic....gorgeous :) xx

Unknown said...

That bookshop looks fab - don't think I'd ever want to leave.

xx

Elisabeth said...

Ahh..what a lovely bookshop, I miss browsing and loosing hours in bookshops. I think i compensate for that now by loosing hours online instead! Great post, seems like a good weekend!

Amber Liddle said...

I just love shop cats, they are a novelty, even with two of my own at home :) Ingrid got that wooden clock for christmas and she loves it!

Anonymous said...

Tell me where that bookshop is! I am going to take a sleeping bag and an everlasting flask of coffee and escape there until I feel it necessary to leave - which may be some time ;-)

Oh to return to the house and find your man making Pizza with the kids. What a feeling that must be, to know that you can totally trust your other half to do a good job while you're gone!

Loving the bath pic. Rose doesn't want to share a bath with anyone now. I miss those days. It's good to see you're still enjoying those precious moments Claire.

xxx

Claire said...

Natalie - that is exactly why I wrote about my the pizza thing: so often I come home and my dh is frazzled or the boys have been on their lego starwars game for abour two hours straight... so it was good this saturday to see everyone tired in a happy way. My dh is pretty good when I am away, usually even the house isn't too bad either. I imagined when I started I would get home and it would be trashed but he manages to keep it all together (or just take evryone out for the day!).

Sunday is major chill out day though, Home, home home and garden. That is about it :)

Claire xox

Dotty Delightful said...

I so want to be in that bookshop, I could almost smell it, I love the mustiness of old books. The high street bookstores are not for relaxing at all, I miss that when our old bookshop closed down, it was like a treasure trove like your one.
The pic of you and the beauty in the bath is so lovely, reminds me of the closeness we share as mums when we are blessed with tiny ones x

smilymel said...

I'm liking your bookshop.
My favourite is this one: http://www.aberfeldywatermill.com/ though it's quite a drive. Hubby and I are just noting that our diaries are both empty for this weekend... and now that the snow and ice have melted, a trip there for yummy cake and coffee and lovely books and gorgeous nearby walks might just be on the cards!

Amelia said...

Hi Claire,
wow! that bookshop! we have a pretty amazing one here too - no cats, but organic hot chocolates and scones! :) I just loved the photo of you two snuggled at the end. Much love. xx

Tonya Gunn said...

If ever I have a free moment away, I have always headed to the book shop too.
Great photos of your home.
Warm wishes, Tonya

Anonymous said...

catching up and i have to comment. i have this same bath pic almost to the t up on my bulletin board in front of me right now of me and my eldest when she was about a year old. i will treasure it always. i am so glad we took it.