Sunday, January 09, 2011

blue sky, dolls and lego



We said, hello blue sky, it's been a while.



Even when things seem dead, there is always life. Right there in the same glance.



The Fairy House of the summer looks abandoned,forlorn and derelict. Which if course it is. Like our landlord, the fairies fly to warmer lands in the cold months we think.



It's tempting to try and do that too. But there is so much beauty right here.









I made coconut flour banana muffins this morning. Again. With coconut cream dolloped over the top they are divine (my MIL a Dairy-Queen-aholic loved this cream, basically its the hard thick white bit from a 'set' can of coconut milk, whipped with some liquid sweetener - leave the liquid milk from the can well alone, added it changes the cream to something yucky. Also if the can has been shaken around or whatever and started to mix with the water it's a goner too).



These muffins are super filling. It's 5pm and they are all I have eaten so far today .... although I have eaten quite a few.... so that could be why :) There have been other mouths that like them too.



I made myself a new hat, it's a very soft yarn but the label is long gone so I can't say from where it came. Also the pattern is one that just happened on my needles (I used 6mm straight neeldes and cast on 64 st. After a while when it looked long enough I started decreasing; first row k2tog after every 7 stitches, on the next knit row it was every 6 st and decreased as such until I ws finished). Isaac took this picture after MUCH persuasion. And this is why I am hardly ever *seen* on this blog, there is simply no one interested in taking pictures of me, ha! Or should that be boo-hoo?



The Beauty looks miles better, as usual, in knitwear than the intended owner.



After looking for some little peg dolls all painted and cosy in a little pocket-wrap thing (as seen here) I decided I ought to just make them myself. After all my stash of tiny wood dolls has always been bigger than I knew what to do with, my MIL, mysteriously seems to like nothing better than buying us lots of on-sale acrylics (again - what to do with it?).



I excitedly used some of the genuine Harris Tweed sent to me by the lovely Barefoot Crofter and some bits of left over Swedish print from Christmas skirts. They were a joy from the beginning to the end of making and Esmé was by my side the entire time, colour picking, pin holding and with general sound advice (after all if they are intended for two year olds, you certainly need one on hand for opinion).



They were made on that random snow day... was it Friday? I forget, but right in the middle of delicate painting and conversation with The Beauty a stranger knocked at the door having crashed his car on the slippy road into a ditch. I pointed him to the phone, made him a cup of tea and went right back to painting tiny black flick curls. He came through, to chat I suppose while awaiting rescue and after I failed to notice him, he coughed and asked if this was how I made my living. Oh what fun. I practically had to wipe tears from my eyes. But I feel like making more, and when the inspiration strikes I have found it best to just get it all out and make loads before the enthusiasm wanes. We can be stocked up for any little girly birthdays.









And the boys? I am glad I turned the spare/sewing room in to a dedicated shrine for Lego. It is the most used room in the house for the under 10's. Especially after The Beauty had her dad drag a mattress in there for indoor bouncing.





They take a break now and again for food and the odd bit of play-dough (do I have the only 'big' boys in the world who still like play-dough?). I'll hazard a guess to it just being relaxing, I don't mind a little play with it either. It's even nicer when lavender essential oil or peppermint is added whilst making. This is a very good recipe. I have it tacked to the fridge but it's imprinted on my brain now I have made it so often. This is Felix's super deluxe cake.



My first daffodils this year, I get excited when I see them for sale, because surely it means Spring is almost here. Or maybe snazzy sellers just hothouse them earlier and earlier for sentimental people like me? Either way, they make me feel bright and breezy when I see them, and I'll try to ignore any potential carbon footprint. Does anyone else to this with things they *love*? I am sure it's so.

4 comments:

kat @ slugs said...

Oh my goodness! Esme has grown so much! She looks so grown up!!!

the dolls are just lovely. As is the hat. And the muffins look divine and I may need to make some just now.

Earthenwitch said...

Lovely daffodils - our garden had literally hundreds of them before we broke it doing renovation work... I'd love to plant some bulbs this year, though.

Also gorgeous pics as ever - Esme looks very sweet in that hat; will you ever get to wear it, I wonder? :)

Re craft swap - yes, definitely; I will see if I can rustle up some pumpkins this weekend, as we have a Grandma visit scheduled, which always means more free time for Mama hands...! Can you email me your address, please, and have you still got mine? Thanks for the idea - I do love a swap, and a postal one at that!

Lucy said...

Lovely post! beautiful girl, and wow my boys would *love* to have so much lego space! and no at 8 and 10 they can still pass ages playing with play-doh :)

The Yarn Owl said...

Those dollies are gorgeous, I so wish I could paint or draw, my crafrtiness is always in the following patterns type (why I love knitting!) and never in the drawing/painting type thing!

The hat is lovely, maybe Esme will let you wear it every now and agin!!

Alice x