Monday, June 06, 2011

animal magic - girl and pup

She's good. Fearless and assumes authority over the puppy. Which it of course responds to instantly. I think they will be good friends (with the girl of course as General and Leader, of course, as she is at all other times.....) Next up, jumping through a hoop... I imagine.

We have visitors and I tell them 'ignore the puppy', which is really a hard thing to do, I know, it goes against your instinct to ohh and goo-gah over a cute soft baby mammal. And then I get them to make her sit and lie down for them. *Then*, finally they can fuss and play with her. It sounds militant, but then, I really want a well trained dog. And I really want a dog who is submissive towards humans. I have little kids, it's the only way, I think. I get the boys to do this whole sit, lie thing every time they have been away and come home, and whenever they remember. The hardest bit is not to use the AP human psychology I know so well on this dog. But then I remind myself, yes she is though in fact a dog, not a human baby.

Please ignore my cheesy voice over; intended for Esmé....but she hardly needs the praise.

It's kinda' dark, but then so is my hallway at 6am.

Girl and Dog


But this one, taken just now, is my favourite. The first thing Esmé is saying (just so you have an idea of what it is that is distracting the pup) is 'Urghh! Ginny's licking at chicken poo!' Culinary highlights no doubt, of a dog's dining experience.

Chicken Poop

10 comments:

Joxy34 said...

Oh my gosh, that is so cute! And wow very impressed how well the puppy is responding to her.

Brilliant! And yes, very important the dog learns it's place in the pack :-)

Jacqui said...

Ah - so wonderful. i have tears in my eyes watching this it is so cute. And a dog that licks up chicken poo - I must get one - lol. xxx

Claire said...

Urgh, no! I am loathing the chickens right now, they spend too long near the house and obviously just eat far too much by the amount that comes out. This I can usually ignore, until they stop laying for one reason or another, right now a broody hen is the reason..... I read that bird poop is good for canid digestion... hmmmmm, would rather believe that than thinking it's all just gross.

emma said...

Oh wow - it's so clear who's pack leader there!!! :-D

Hannah said...

so cute

and as a Lab owner you soon get used to them eating all manners of poo lol

Amber Liddle said...

That is cracking me up, how Esme seems so disgusted at the chicken poo licking!

I think you're doing the right thing by having a well trained dog. My inlaws have a mastiff mix and he's huge and not trained at all and it's a disaster when we go over there! Nothing's better than a well trained dog. Good luck :)

lilac73 said...

That's lovely and so good to start training them young, my Aunty always does with hers and I have no problem taking my boys near her dogs, others I'm not so sure of and neither are the boys, they hate being jumped at. Your E is just so lovely with her, she could teach a fair few adults a lot about how to react to dogs

Bee said...

So so Sweet!

Mardi said...

Oh my goodness Claire, that is so cute!!! I forget you are english, its so cool to hear your voices! Emma thought the chicken poo licking was hilarious, these two tiny girls would be so wicked together I think LOL xxxx

Cyfaill said...

I miss your voice.