Friday, May 09, 2008

Massage



I have a few different massage books focusing on babies. Peter Walker does some informative ones. From his I picked up one particular useful titbit; when you first start massaging your baby it is good to start out doing the feet and progress then to the legs, maybe at changing time. It's not intrusive like getting straight in there with your hands on their little bellies and chests (which they often dislike and squirm at if you start this way). It always worked for me to go from the feet upwards. Gently. Week by week, day by day adding another minute or two. At 12 weeks we are up to the full body massage which takes around 10 minutes, and it is now that I see Esmé really liking it. She gurgles and chortles at me and sighs and afterwards oiled and sweet like a pancake she settles in for a peaceful nurse and slumber. I am so much enjoying seeing her enjoy this that I have been massaging her more than once day! It is so satisfying to stroke those little limbs, just starting to plump out, feel the velvety skin, push my fingers into her palms, softly, firmly flattening her curled up fingers out like dough. It is blissful for me.



I have learned so much from this book, it has got to be my favourite. Beautiful black and white photography and lovely techniques, easy to read and remember - what I like to do is read a massage book, say in bed while my wee one sleeps, and then the next day just practice from memory. It would be too much faff to refer to a book whilst actually massaging. Misses the point some what too since I just tend to follow my hands and the little body under them and often repeat something more or miss other things out.



I really like peach kernal oil or sweet almond, but have used lovely virgin coconut oil too. In fact I would use that more often if I had it to hand when I am thinking about massage but usually it's in the kitchen.

Sweet oiled up girl-y.



You wouldn't think it was the same baby but turn her onto her belly and she does her party-eyed tricks. This is when we call her The Google Eyed Girl: when her eyes are out on stalks like this, she is so funny... if you could see the way her head bobs about looking in every direction trying to see every little thing at once! Oh my.



How come babies heads just look much too big for their bodies huh? So Bambiesque.

Ok mama, see me? It's milk time cos' the fist ain't giving up much juice.

2 comments:

nil said...

oh my she looks just like you,she is so pretty

Tyler said...

Mianh here (on dp's account)!

yum. what a peachlet. I love the googly eyes :)

I went to baby massage classes with N - and vacillated feeling like it was a frivolous excess to not just read a book from the library, and loving the soothing, affirming voice of the instructor and the warm, softly lit room and the company of other totally un-put-together mamas:)

As for the actual massage - after we'd worked up to the whole body, it's become a much loved pasttime.
I once read that if a massage is given properly the giver should be mor relaxed than the recipient by the end. Certainly holds true for me when I'm in the right frame of mind.