Friday, May 23, 2008

Woollen Rainbow



This is the Classic Cardigan from The Debbie Bliss Essential Baby book. I think this is the fourth one of these I have made in the last year. It is not the easiest cardigan I have ever made, but it has a nice rhythm to it once you join the pieces together and knit the last half. Just enough to do so that you don't drift off and get bored with it. I have perfected the art of lying down in bed and knitting at night with a sleeping baby plugged on to my breast. Even the lopsided arm ache didn't deter me in my efforts to get this finished. It is not for Esmé you see, it is for my sister's baby - due in two weeks! Yippee! I don't think she reads this blog so I am safe to show it here. The buttons are hand carved Nepalese made, from the local ethnic shop (yk, the shop every town has with the rainbow tie dye skirts hanging in the doorway, incense drifting out in a pink wafty smog, chimes tinkling and elephant batik print cushions for sale). I was a bit worried my colour choices would make it look a little too United Colours of Benetton and maybe it sort of does except the buttons pull it into something slightly more....earthy? Usually I go for the classic shiny gray disk shell buttons favoured in the book or plain wood but well these ones were pretty enough and in any case Felix already had them wadded tight in his chocolate smeared fist and the shop was really too funky-trippy and scented for me so these were perfect this time.



Stuffed Esmé into it and managed to get the one button fastened - she so wanted to model it I could tell, and besides she is so cute I just needed another legitimate reason to take a photo of her......

Oh! The knitting, yes the knitting, that's what this post is about. So, this is the first item completed since having my baby, and considering the other million and one things I could be doing instead of knitting when she naps I am quite pleased it is done in time for baby-gifting. Now nothing stands in the way of washing the kitchen floor.

6 comments:

M said...

ooh, beautiful sweater! and even more delicious sausage-stuffed piggy babe.

I knit my lovely midwife beautiful stripey socks while N asleep in the sling in the weeks after she was born. Now she is far too large to reach around to knit (though still asleep in my lap!).

I'm lusting after your camera - your pictures have a great quality to them (no doubt your skill also).

Julie said...

Knitting at night while nursing.....WOW I am seriously impressed. I can only really knit when all are asleep, as I still need to concentrate on each stich! I am sure I'll get better with time. Gorgeous cardy and Esme looks totally divine in it.

Claire said...

M,

The camera is a Fuji FinePix S5600. It is the nicest camera I have used - but it is not flashy or even very expensive :) It does the job!

I am knitting something pale pink right now for E.... it is the first time I have used a girly sort of colour so I will see how it goes and how I feel about it. I tend to stick with purples, blues, greens and shades of.... so this is new for me. It is just a simple boat neck sweater, like that gooseberry coloured one I made way back for her as a newborn.

What are you all knitting right now?

Nikki Elisabeth said...

Cuuuute knitting and even cute kiddo. You make neat stuff. :D

Thanks for visiting btw and I hope you don't mind reciprocal stalking. Although I am working right now so I'd better come back and waste some time later!

xo

M said...

I just finished a sage green nappy cover for CMJ (knit, partially in bed Claire-style :)). And now am knitting arm warmers for myself - dusty pink with bright red ribbed wrists. For the upcoming kiwi-winter-chill.

I know what you mean about the colours for babe-knitting. Finally Dp said to me "er, do you think she could have one diaper cover that's not russet/sage/chocolate/blue. I relented and knit her a stripey sage green and dusty pink one. And yes, she looks very sweet in it. Albeit, less gender neutral than usual!

Julie said...

I am currently knitting a little vest for Lola in gorgeous organic merino PINK wool. Am very excited as nearly finished it, hope it turns out okay.

Thanks for suggesting Waldorf doll book , have ordered it from the library. I love the dolls that you made for the boys, so am all inspired!

Oh yes and the nappies I am using are called mummy's touch. They are a cloth nappy sysytem with hemp liners, still getting used to them as having major leakage problems!

Have a Fab day....